The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not so Fast Phoenix!

Provost

You clearly are under the misapprehension that the NHL is governed based on common sense and good business practices. If this group has done anything to bruise the ego of the NHL brass, then who cares what sort of finances they have behind them.

It is just as likely that Bettman's current plans are to bring franchises to New Mexico and Arkansas...

They truly are hell bent for leather on getting this deal done in Glendale. Lawsuits be damned! When a judge questions a cities intentions, you have to wonder how far this will go before this agreement gets nixed. Yet Bettman and his merry men will continue the course, and you're probably right, the next stop will indeed be SantaFe.

Seattle getting all the people lined up is a very good sign, at the very least the NBA should be back, and with them needing another tenant to get more bond backing, the NHL would/should be a slam dunk.

The never ending saga called the Phoenix Coyotes continues - it just goes to show you how inept Bettman is at being in charge of this league. is he not a lawyer and did he not see this coming. I for one hope the Goldwater Insitute puts the final nail in the coffin and this team can move onto brighter pastures - whether it be Qubec City, Seattle, hell Portland or even La Vegas

You clearly are under the misapprehension that the NHL is governed based on common sense and good business practices. If this group has done anything to bruise the ego of the NHL brass, then who cares what sort of finances they have behind them.

It is just as likely that Bettman's current plans are to bring franchises to New Mexico and Arkansas...

They would have to be answering some tough questions about losing millions operating the franchise and it being relocated... I suspect that they would like to avoid that more than they would really like to keep a franchise n Phoenix.

Something doesn't add up with how fast the Thrashers moved compared with all the obstacles for Phoenix.

Sad but true.

Bettman must have a mistress in Phoenix. Hard to explain monthly road trip to Phoenix when they have no team.

Ms Bettman "Gary how come you gotta go to Phoenix again?"

Gary "Goin golfing honey"

Ms Bettman "But Gary you don't golf"

Gary "Uhhhh errr Uhhhh"

ownership in Sacramento and Phoenix have been such as mess the last few years, and everyone, including the cities, leagues, commissioners, and interested parties are all going about their business so poorly. I still can't believe both the Kings and Coyotes haven't been moved to Seattle yet.

In my mind the moves that make sense are:

-relocate coyotes and kings to Seattle.

-expand NBA to Kansas city + St. Louis

-expand NHL to Quebec + Portland

instant moneys!

Awarding a publicly-funded, $15 million per year "arena management contract" without bidding or due process just reeks of corrupt use of taxpayers' money.

I can't figure out why they thought this would fly, especially with Goldwater all over them already.

I am curious, by what date this must be resolved by before the team is announced relocated or under ownership by the league for another year?

PS. I am picturing Bettman pacing around his mansion going...

"F***, F***, SH**, F***! Now what the F*** are we going to do? "

...and smiling tremendously.

Archived