The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two Trades: VAN-TAMPA; VAN-NASH

Another boring day at work.

Trade 1:

To VAN: Eric Brewer, Brett Connolly, One of Tampa's 1st Rd picks (10th Overall)

To TAM: R. Luongo, Van 1st, Van 2nd, rights to M. Raymond

To VAN: Shea Weber rights

To NAS: Tampa's 1st, Keith Ballard, Chris Tanev, Jordan Schroeder

Sign Gaustad 3M/yr

Sign Garrison 3.5M/yr

Sign Schultz if available .9M/yr

Healthy Line-up:

Sedin Sedin Burrows 14.2M

Booth Kesler Connolly 10.88M

Higgens Gaustad Hansen 6.25M

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian 4.37M

Wiese .9M

Hamhuis Bieksa 9.1M

Edler Weber 10M (6.75M Weber)

Garrison Brewer 7.375M

2 of Salo / Alberts / Schultz 2.9M

Schnieder 3.5M

lack 1.0M

Total cap: 70.475M

Max Cap: 70.300M

Over: 0.175M (Kesler starts on LTIR)

I don't think Tampa or Nashville take these trades.

Connolly is going to be Stamkos' set up man once St. Louis is gone, and with Brewer finally having a healthy season his value to Tampa probably shot up quite a bit.

The Weber deal is just a huge underpayment. Even if Nashville did like that trade, there is going to be waaay better offers for Weber than that.

I don't think Tampa or Nashville take these trades.

Connolly is going to be Stamkos' set up man once St. Louis is gone, and with Brewer finally having a healthy season his value to Tampa probably shot up quite a bit.

The Weber deal is just a huge underpayment.  Even if Nashville did like that trade, there is going to be waaay better offers for Weber than that.

When I re-think the Tampa trade I think you're right. We would have to add additional pieces, preferrably some prospects in minor excluding Jenson.

I think the Weber trade is fair. Remember you're trading for his rights, he's not under contract and can veto a trade to another team. Somewhere else may offer more, but he can say no if he chooses, and popular opinion is he would like to play for home-town.

When I re-think the Tampa trade I think you're right. We would have to add additional pieces, preferrably some prospects in minor excluding Jenson.

I think the Weber trade is fair. Remember you're trading for his rights, he's not under contract and can veto a trade to another team. Somewhere else may offer more, but he can say no if he chooses, and popular opinion is he would like to play for home-town.

His value would decrease if he were a UFA, but there will be minimal loss if any to his value when he's an RFA.

We know what he got in arbitration last year, so worst case scenario we get him for another year at around that amount. Best case scenario is he'd sign with us for cheaper on term, otherwise he wouldn't bother with a trade and just take another one year deal with Nashville to setup UFA status next summer.

What you're offering they either already have, or could get for relatively cheap in separate deals. They've been a defence factory for a few years now (Ellis, Blum, Klein, etc), and have excellent depth after the top 2 of Suter/Weber, so they wouldn't care for possible top 4 guys in Ballard and Tanev. Schroeder isn't anything major over what they already have (Legwand, Fisher, Wilson, Smith and Gaustad if he re-signs) or couldn't acquire. The Tampa pick would be the only thing of interest for them, and that's nowhere near enough value for someone of Weber's caliber.

Weber will get significantly better offers for Nashville to consider trading him, even as an RFA, or else they'd rather keep him for another run next season and risk losing him to UFA.

As for the Tampa deal, Luongo and our 1st could get us Connelly and one of their 1st rounders (theirs or more likely Detroit's), but adding a 2nd and Raymond wouldn't convince them to move a defenceman when they're already thin in that department. Luongo would fit there, but to get a significant return from the assets they have we'd have to offer Schneider.

Another boring day at work.

Trade 1:

To VAN: Eric Brewer, Brett Connolly, One of Tampa's 1st Rd picks (10th Overall)

To TAM: R. Luongo, Van 1st, Van 2nd, rights to M. Raymond

To VAN: Shea Weber rights

To NAS: Tampa's 1st, Keith Ballard, Chris Tanev, Jordan Schroeder

Sign Gaustad 3M/yr

Sign Garrison 3.5M/yr

Sign Schultz if available .9M/yr

Healthy Line-up:

Sedin Sedin Burrows 14.2M

Booth Kesler Connolly 10.88M

Higgens Gaustad Hansen 6.25M

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian 4.37M

Wiese .9M