The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks File 'Cutdown' Arbitration With Raymond

stexx

I'll take him at 2.2M. He needs to bulk up more and hopefully find the net a bit more, but he's one of the few Canucks that has had chemistry with Kesler. If he can't, then he doesn't really fit on our team... I guess he could be a nice Ryan Johnson 2.0 on the fourth line then with Malhotra, another high paid player for their worth.

Are you on drugs? Raymond worth 2-3 million dollars? Maybe 2-3 million pucks but not dollars.

He's an RFA and would be worth more to the team if they let him walk, let someone else put in an offer sheet, and collect a draft pick coming our way.

Sure, why wouldn't we bring back the most useless player on this team, who has been given EVERY opportunity to succeed, but continuously failed....

And I'm tired of the 'no off season' crap people keep saying. What about the year before? He had a full of season then and still crapped the bed. He's had ONE good season...flukes happen.

Sure, why wouldn't we bring back the most useless player on this team, who has been given EVERY opportunity to succeed, but continuously failed....

And I'm tired of the 'no off season' crap people keep saying. What about the year before? He had a full of season then and still crapped the bed. He's had ONE good season...flukes happen.

I hate the Mason Raymond abuse... Sure he was frustrating to watch in all of the games this year but he's still 26 and is the top 3 fastest in our team. Lets look at the stats you are calling him out for:

2010-2011 season he 15 goals, 24 assists, 39 assists in 70 games... so terrible isn't it? nah it's a bit subpar but not terrible.

2011-2011 season he had 10 goals, 10 assists, 20 ponts in 55 games... pretty bad indeed but one bad year isn't indicative that he is a bad player.

Having this arbitration we can give Raymond the assurance that we gave Sturm, he'll have a shot at pre-season and a few weeks into the season. If it works then we have a killer scoring speed line in Booth - Kesler - Raymond at a reduced cost, alongside his penalty killing capabilities, and 2nd powerplay time. At worst we find a trade for pick or bottom 6 depth. There is definitely more Reward then Risk in this move.

So peeps take a chill pill, use your head and stop bashing players because everyone else is.

Not a surprise. Gillis said he wasn't giving up on Raymond, and flame away all you want, but a healthy Raymond at 2.2 could turn out to be a very good deal. If the Canucks decide to move him, there would definitely be interest in Raymond at a less than average NHL cap hit. Very reasonable move by Gillis. Nothing I'd love more than to see Raymond score 30 goals and 60 points, and shut CDC up.

I realize that there are people who have some sort of personal vendetta with Raymond. I'm not one of them. But I do feel he's not a fit on this team anymore. We know how AV uses each line - he's the most radical coach in the NHL, I don't see Raymonds style of play contributing on any of them.

But I do find it strange that this whole situation is happening. Risking further public image issues and peeving off current/future players over a potential $400K of cap space? This is a guy who was drafted by the Canucks and came up in their system. $400K of cap space. They've got a bottom 6 d-man making $4.2M, and this is the course they take? Perhaps they trade Ballard in the offseason, perhaps they are clearing this space for a bigger trade. Amidst all this are rumors (a rumor) that Raymond wants to leave. Strange situation.

Gilman stressed that Raymond is a player the Canucks still very much view as a valuable asset.

"If we didn't feel that Mason was worthwhile we would have not qualified him and allowed him to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1," Gilman said.

"Mason is an important part of our team and has been for five years. We obviously plan for Mason to be a component of this team going forward. And Mason has the full support of our organization through this process."

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/vancouver-canucks/Canucks+seek+slash+Mason+Raymond+salary/6778024/story.html

Archived