The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks File 'Cutdown' Arbitration With Raymond

stexx

The Canucks would only be signing Mason Raymond so that they may use him in a larger trade.

His value alone is not enough to sign him. I liked the kid's speed and sandpaper, but the back injury is a red flag.

This is something that will be the most significant trade since Luongo coming here.

It involves a roster player and a new addition with Raymond for either a marquee defenceman or a dominant power forward.

I've even heard a rumor of a Schneider to Boston, Lucic to Vancouver trade being looked at.

The Canucks need something serious. Either goaltender in my mind is golden.

You give Vancouver's defence a couple of top 4 additions to compliment Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo (resigned), and Tanev, and either goalie is elite. Canucks fans should consider this before opening their yaps.

Defence, defense, defence.

The idea of icing all the same forwards next yr who could only win 1 playoff game - is alarming. Seriously, call 911. Considering they are all under contract next season (minus Pahlsson), it's a distinct possibility. *sobs*

I believe Gilles stated Raymond is a Valuable asset to the Team. That does not mean that they will keep him

The Canucks are aware that they need more Grit

I believe his spot will be taken by someone who will be able to knock people on the ice,instead of being the one down on the Ice

The replacement may not have the same speed,but he will be more effective with some good hockey sense to create Havoc in front of the net, and easily get over 15 goals with pp time

Raymonds time as a Canuck is on borrowed time IMO

There is more to football than turning a olympic sprinter into a receiver

or a

Olympic speed skater into a hockey player

Speed will not be enough

When i first heard about this i was hoping we could get him down to $2M at most. He will still be overpayed, but then again I still think he can offer a lot to the team. Getting back from a injury is hard, Kesler obviously had to deal with it. I still believe Raymond can be a top 6 guy for us. We'll have to see if a long summer of training and what not can help him become a better player and the player he can be.

2 million for Raymond is just about right, and this Canucks team desperately needs an element of speed, because the rest of our forwards are big, bulky powerforwards. Kings won the Cup with the right mix of speed and toughness, as did Boston and just about every forward group before them.

Right now the only 2 skilled Canucks are the Sedins - the rest are big, bulky powerforwards who's lack of skill really showed in the Kings series. We need Raymond, or if not him someone who plays a skilled game like Alex Semin or Samuelsson/Hodgson to mix up the skill and toughness.

Raymond has been at a 15-20 goal pace over the last few seasons, good for around 40 points which is exactly right for 2 million. Malhotra's making that much and he didn't clear the 10 goal mark, both players are coming off life-threatening injuries but no one hates on Malhotra. The reason? Because we traded Grabner, not Raymond, and he's taking the heat because people expect him to score 30 goals. 30 goals for a 2 million player is rare, don't go comparing him to the Burrows' contract now because he's an anomaly who can attribute half of those 30 goals to the Sedins.

The Canucks would only be signing Mason Raymond so that they may use him in a larger trade.

His value alone is not enough to sign him. I liked the kid's speed and sandpaper, but the back injury is a red flag.

This is something that will be the most significant trade since Luongo coming here.

It involves a roster player and a new addition with Raymond for either a marquee defenceman or a dominant power forward.

I've even heard a rumor of a Schneider to Boston, Lucic to Vancouver trade being looked at.

The Canucks need something serious. Either goaltender in my mind is golden.

You give Vancouver's defence a couple of top 4 additions to compliment Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo (resigned), and Tanev, and either goalie is elite. Canucks fans should consider this before opening their yaps.

Defence, defense, defence.

I hate the Mason Raymond abuse... Sure he was frustrating to watch in all of the games this year but he's still 26 and is the top 3 fastest in our team. Lets look at the stats you are calling him out for:

2010-2011 season he 15 goals, 24 assists, 39 assists in 70 games... so terrible isn't it? nah it's a bit subpar but not terrible.

2011-2011 season he had 10 goals, 10 assists, 20 ponts in 55 games... pretty bad indeed but one bad year isn't indicative that he is a bad player.

Having this arbitration we can give Raymond the assurance that we gave Sturm, he'll have a shot at pre-season and a few weeks into the season. If it works then we have a killer scoring speed line in Booth - Kesler - Raymond at a reduced cost, alongside his penalty killing capabilities, and 2nd powerplay time. At worst we find a trade for pick or bottom 6 depth. There is definitely more Reward then Risk in this move.

So peeps take a chill pill, use your head and stop bashing players because everyone else is.

• 3 weeks later...

*BUMP* (haven't heard about it lately and needing a break from GarriMania)

Any news on this front? Did he accept? Decline? Or is it still ongoing?

Sure hope that he and (one #1 goalie) warrants enough interest to land a (hopefully young) Top-6 play making forward out East, I would call that a successful off-season already!

Archived