The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks File 'Cutdown' Arbitration With Raymond

stexx

His bargaining position is low; he does not have a lot of leverage to demand a huge increase. He is coming off a poor season because he could not train like he should have, and his conditioning was not were it needed to be at the time he came back. The good news is that the Canucks recognize this, and they are trying to protect their asset from poaching.

If I were Raymond, at the hearing, I would demand a one year contract. All this should help motivate him to have a better season.

Isn't there some sort of clause where:

- if a 'team' selects arbitration, said player can't be traded within 12 months?

I feel like I heard this somewhere? Anyone know?

EDIT:

@BradZiemer

Imagine Raymond isn't feeling too badly about this.Worst-case scenario is 15% pay cut and he's still making more than $2.2 million.

Are you on drugs? Raymond worth 2-3 million dollars? Maybe 2-3 million pucks but not dollars.

He's an RFA and would be worth more to the team if they let him walk, let someone else put in an offer sheet, and collect a draft pick coming our way.

Hmmm decent idea rather than losing him for nothing, and maybe if we are allowed to trade him all is good.

I never saw anything in the RFA rules about not being able to trade a player after an award... though this isn't any sort of arbitration that I have ever heard of being able to happen. I thought you always had to tender a qualifying offer.

as per darren dreger

@DarrenDreger: Canucks file "cutdown" arbitration on Mason Raymond. Q.O is $2.6 million. Salary can't drop more than to $2.21 million if Van wins arb case.

interesting, even at 2.21mil i dont think raymond can fill the goods. wonder what gillis's gameplan is with this one.

Archived