The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Wants the Team to Get Younger

JasetheCanuck

He's looking at the free agent market, and realizes that it's thinner than ever. The only players worth making an offer to are going to be seriously overpaid.

So, this is his way of preparing us for having Kassian, Schroeder, and Jensen all in the top-9 next year.

Gillis has said this a lot since the season ended, I can't help to wonder if this means he's looking into moving some core guys. Kesler isn't old and he'll be the hardest one to move cause we need a 2-way top 6 centre with size, grit, skill and speed so this makes moving him ridiculously hard, near impossible cause he brings everything we need much more of, but after the season and piss poor playoffs one would think a message needs to be sent, some kinda shake up and Luongo alone wouldn't be it as it's expected and Sedins just can't be moved.

It's tough because there's no doubt the Canucks NEED to get bigger and grittier without losing skill but with Sedins and Burrows making up half of the top 6 and Hamhuis and Bieksa making up half of the top 4, this makes getting bigger and meaner every tricky as you'd have to look into moving some of those guys, Booth and Kesler are our only gritty, big, legit top 6ers, Edler in the top 4 D and this is our biggest issue, imo. No wonder why Kesler is always injured.

He's virtually admitting that his plan for the upcoming season has been scrapped, thanks to the forced Hodgson trade.

Now he'll have a hard time icing near the team he had. Henrik Sedin will be the ONLY real center available to the team at season start. (With all due respect to One-Eye Manny, Lappy, and Schroenic the Hedgehog.)

We have been screwed. Yet again. Get ready for a long period of decline.

Or maybe i'm dead wrong with that. Whatever. Cheers.

TOML

We aren't that special... Toronto, St. Louis, Buffalo (and up to recently LA) are in the same boat.... as a matter of fact, there are a dozen teams who have never won a Cup.

Vancouver

Buffalo

St. Louis

Washington

Phoenix

San Jose

Ottawa

Florida

Nashville

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Columbus

We haven't won because it is very hard to win, and there are a lot of teams who want to win.

Look at this link if it makes you feel better. Imagine not having won a single playoff series in 18 years?

http://en.wikipedia....season_droughts

i dont really care if this team gets younger, older, bigger, tougher, etc. just get us some offense and some playoff performer's. We have lacked that the past 2 years, and it has cost us quite big.

PS. Although i really would like 2 young lines for our 3rd and 4th (who can play hard still) lines. That would be a nice thing to have and they could potential turn into our new top 6 when our existing on begins to decline, retire, etc.

I think Gillis has be in Vancouver for to long now, I think the smoke fumes are getting to his head a little. First he tries to sign players who are in their 40's at the end of their careers, then he trades away all his young prospects for veteran players, and now he wants to get younger? MG you sure you don't need a map? because your track records shows your all over the place.

Dear Mr.Gillis,

How do you build a young team? By drafting. If you want a young team, you need to start drafting effectively. During your tenure, the Canucks have a whopping ZERO players drafted by your staff playing for this club. Anyway, my point is short but sweet.

Sincerely,

A knowledgeable hockey fan.

I thought he as much as admitted he blew the trade a week or so before the play off's. :huh:

When he made the deal, it was about a certain "balance," presumably size and physicality to compete in play off wars. It stunk at the time, as Hodgson was a big chip to move for what was (and is, sorry naive CDC types) a lower calibre prospect. Not a significant proven performer.

When Kassian was appearing a bust for expectations this year, he then tried to spin the trade as being for the future. THAT was the admission!

Of course later he covered his tail, going beyond an implication that his hand was forced. He still has a responsibility to make a better deal.

But we still have assets to play in rejuvenating the team, even if its plan B. Beyond Lou we have heaps of left side depth on D and particularly at left wing. There is scope to create a balanced line up!

He's virtually admitting that his plan for the upcoming season has been scrapped, thanks to the forced Hodgson trade.

Now he'll have a hard time icing near the team he had. Henrik Sedin will be the ONLY real center available to the team at season start. (With all due respect to One-Eye Manny, Lappy, and Schroenic the Hedgehog.)

We have been screwed. Yet again. Get ready for a long period of decline.

Or maybe i'm dead wrong with that. Whatever. Cheers.

TOML

Actually, the Hodgson trade aside, it is logical!

5 years ago, the Twins were just reaching prime years in their career (28), but our teams core was evolving led by Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, soon to be followed by Edler. The makings of a good NHL team was there, but needed more seasoned talent to both compete at the time, and grow. We wanted to capitalize on that core.

5 years later, Kesler, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and even Luongo all had declines in performance. Its not a stretch to think that would continue.

Only Lou has young legs pressing him into a role where he could graciously decline. We do need to get younger.

The problem is our current prospect pool does not appear capable of doing it. The damnation is that since Erhoff, we have given up progressively more valuable prospects for progressively less return. Nor did players received nicely compliment our vets the way Erhoff did. We are getting closer to to being pressed into a corner.

I agree with a separate OP post in answering this one, at least one of our core needs to be sacrificed in a blockbuster to rejuvenate our team. Presumably Lou is the sacrifice, and we need to draft better! There is still a chance with (most of) this core.

But those words smashing Hodgson 4 years ago by AV, now ring Soooo loudly as missed opportunity!

So he wants the team to get younger, but we've traded/given away all our prospects in the last few years... Logical.

Serves the little turd right. Trading a selfish little rat like Hodgson out of Vancouver turned out to be the best move MG has made. He's building a winning culture here, sure, but he's doing it without relying on selfish players who aren't loyal to the team and the city.

I'll admit I was furious when Hodgson was traded, but now that I know what kind of a little dbag he is I'm glad we have Kassian here instead.

We also have one of the leagues worst prospect pool!! I think we Canuck fans are in for hell soon, aging team, lots of question marks around our stars about health and on the decline, who all have NTC but we have nothing coming up that could replace them. Edler is UFA next summer so the possibility of losing our best and youngest D man who is our # 1 guy will be a nightmare, Gillis has a ton of work this summer.

Actually, the Hodgson trade aside, it is logical!

5 years ago, the Twins were just reaching prime years in their career (28), but our teams core was evolving led by Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, soon to be followed by Edler. The makings of a good NHL team was there, but needed more seasoned talent to both compete at the time, and grow. We wanted to capitalize on that core.

5 years later, Kesler, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and even Luongo all had declines in performance. Its not a stretch to think that would continue.

Only Lou has young legs pressing him into a role where he could graciously decline. We do need to get younger.

The problem is our current prospect pool does not appear capable of doing it. The damnation is that since Erhoff, we have given up progressively more valuable prospects for progressively less return. Nor did players received nicely compliment our vets the way Erhoff did. We are getting closer to to being pressed into a corner.

I agree with a separate OP post in answering this one, at least one of our core needs to be sacrificed in a blockbuster to rejuvenate our team. Presumably Lou is the sacrifice, and we need to draft better! There is still a chance with (most of) this core.

But those words smashing Hodgson 4 years ago by AV, now ring Soooo loudly as missed opportunity!

Archived