The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis: Blockbuster deal at draft is a "possibility"

No, no fight, just pointing out that some people post because they really have something to contribute while others post because they have a desperate need to sign their name after another post.

Honestly, if we don't have a blockbuster deal at the draft, we will probably have passed up the best offers we'll get, for whatever goalie we do move. I really don't want to start the season using 8-9 million in cap space on goaltending...

As much as I agree with you, I also don't think a trade should be forced. The team's value could go downhill if a trade was made just to get Luongo or Schneider out of town. I'd rather we get something that will benedit us, preferably of equal or slightly less value if necessary. What that "value" is will really depend on the rest of the market I'm sure.

There is a possibility the sun will shine tomorrow....we are in the summer season and clearly that means it is a possibility.

Is there ever not a possibility that a major trade could take place?

In the same interview doesn't Gillis say that there's just as much a chance that no deals happen?

And wasn't he talking in generalizations about all teams and about the draft in general?

Tunnel vision ftw.

REALLY hard to view SamJam as credible and he's grasping at straws here. Nonetheless I appreciate the video upload. The need to defend and support SamJam when he's completely off base and likely still in highschool escapes me.

I think a lot of you are way too hard on Samjam99 but this Gillis clip really says nothing. Gone is the Gillis from the exit interviews and that amazing press conference when he said way too much. Now we just have tight lipped MG.

The problem is, that pulling off a deal for a starting goaltender with a 5 million dollar caphit partway through the season is way more difficult than making that deal at the draft, and the number of interested teams at that time will be way less as well simply because of the situation.

It plainly makes way way more sense to get a deal done before the season starts, both for ease of getting it done and the potential return as well.

Yet a trade for Kassian was done at the deadline even though it was really more of a "hockey" deal than a "deadline" deal.

Plainly perhaps, but perhaps not. Not every deal is done at the deadline. There are still situations that can arise now that may not be there during the season. We really don't know what happens behind closed doors. The media can gripe that Luongo or Schneider will be traded, but pushing any deal to happen can make us overpay to get rid of a goaltender, when it really should be a situation that benefits us.

First post of the summer, and here I m defending Samjam...well I appreciate the fact that he actually puts in so much effort to keep himself and us uptodate. I dont think he is trying to be some insider, just a passionate fan. so manytimes i m fiending for some new news and thanks to Samjam and others there is always something for me to read canucks related.

Canucks!!

Samjam is like toejam.... It's kind of interesting when you see it at first, but right after you realize its just gross and toss it away, but then it just seems to always come back day after day...

p.s. No offense SamJam... I'm just playing... I actually support all the rumor mongers because they provide me with many hours of enjoyment. Haters will always hate, but deep down would rather have people like you around than not. For instance, what would be all do without Eklund? Maybe a lot of his crap is bs, maybe a lot of it is not... But one thing for sure is that I'm not going to stop reading his updates about the Canucks until he stops posting them =) These people get my blood in my brain flowing during the down times of the Canucks.

Crosby for Raymond is a "possibility". Doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

As much as everyone wants a blockbuster deal done, we really only need a few tweaks to our roster. One or two top-4 defencemen, some re-signings and we're ready to go. A lot can be done through free agency and we don't even lose any of our players, what with the cap roof extending.

Archived