The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a "Date"

So I've started chatting up with a girl (haven't met her yet) and I want to keep it as casual as possible.

We haven't called this a date of any sort but I'm definitely sure she is interested in me. She's opened up to me and we've relaxed so much in chat. I know that in person, she's probably gonna be really shy (she admits that's what she's really like) but that's no problem - I told her I'm like that too (truth).

We're going to watch a foreign movie at a local theatre (she likes comedies and I don't honestly mind shelling money at the theatre).

Neither of us are connoisseurs of foreign cinema. We're just going there with practically no pressure. Neither of us are super wealthy - we are going there as ordinary people - paying for our own tickets.

I know it's kind of a mistake to take a girl to a theatre where there's not as much conversation but we are planning to go there earlier to find the spot and we'll have plenty of time for conversation before and after the movie.

We've done a lot of talking beforehand so there's not a lot of topics left to talk about - we often talk about nothing on MSN and we get along really well. We stay up for a little bit and we've had some solid conversations going. But I'm afraid that I might not have much to talk about in-person with her.

She's NOT a sports fan and she's only mildly interested in action movies - she loves the romcoms and the novels and stuff. It seems like we might not get along based on all those yet I don't mind the fact that she doesn't like sports or she likes romcoms. I think I'm ready to be somewhat converted. I'm a very open-minded person.

Need some advice?

Thanks.

So I've started chatting up with a girl (haven't met her yet) and I want to keep it as casual as possible.

We haven't called this a date of any sort but I'm definitely sure she is interested in meeting up with me. She's opened up to me and we've relaxed so much in chat. I know that in person, she's probably gonna be really shy (she admits that's what she's really like) but that's no problem - I told her I'm like that too (truth)

We're going to watch a foreign movie at a local theatre (she likes comedies and I don't honestly mind shelling money at the theatre).

Neither of us are connoisseurs of foreign cinema. We're just going there with practically no pressure. Neither of us are super wealthy - we are going there as ordinary people - paying for our own tickets.

I know it's kind of a mistake to take a girl to a theatre where there's not as much conversation but we are planning to go there earlier to find the spot and we'll have plenty of time for conversation before and after the movie.

We've done a lot of talking beforehand so there's not a lot of topics left to talk about - we often talk about nothing on MSN and we get along really well. We stay up for a little bit and we've had some solid conversations going.

Need some advice?

Thanks.

She's NOT a sports fan and she's only mildly interested in action movies - she loves the romcoms and the novels and stuff. It seems like we might not get along based on all those yet I don't mind the fact that she doesn't like sports or she likes romcoms. I think I'm ready to be somewhat converted. I'm a very open-minded person.

Need some advice?

Not to be Donny Downer, but it's better to NOT talk too much before you meet them... save more to talk about in person

Also, it's not very helpful to watch something that you might not even understand (context OR language) when, if it's too weird (much like what happened to me and frd after watching "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close") it left us going "uh... what did we just watch?" and our thoughts are still spent on processing what happened instead of being able to share experiences.

Why not go somewhere more interactive? If this was in August I would suggest the P.N.E., or just walk around and explore the Night Market and stuff like that. [#ConstructiveAdvice]

Guest AriGold

Not to be Donny Downer, but it's better to NOT talk too much before you meet them... save more to talk about in person

Also, it's not very helpful to watch something that you might not even understand (context OR language) when, if it's too weird (much like what happened to me and frd after watching "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close") it left us going "uh... what did we just watch?" and our thoughts are still spent on processing what happened instead of being able to share experiences.

Why not go somewhere more interactive? If this was in August I would suggest the P.N.E., or just walk around and explore the Night Market and stuff like that. [#ConstructiveAdvice]

I'll share a little trick with you.Buy some popcorn you hold it so she doesnt get butter on her dress.cut or tear a hole in the bottom of the bag insert your .... tell her to dig in the good stuffs at the bottom..bonus natural lubricant :bigblush:

Hey, I've done about a dozen + blind dates, because I've used Plenty of Fish quite a bit. So I have a fair amount of experience in the area.

Going to a threatre is a terrible idea.

I'd put going for a walk above going to the theatre, and I've actually gone on a walk with a girl as a first date, with her dogs. It was good.

I've also gone to a movie with a girl on a first date, and it was dull.

So, if you can change your plans, and you're both old enough to drink, go for drinks. Like pimpcurtly suggested, some booze loosens both people up.

Nothing crazy, a few drinks.

I'd also say keep it brief. Two hours is a good first date... Then tell her you gotta go. Unless things are going so insanely well, I'd strongly advise this. It's great for attraction. If things went well, and it's brief, she'll want more of you.

If they're going really well after a few drinks, and you don't see a problem with it continuing, THEN MAYBE go see a movie.

I'd still advise against it though. Use your discretion though.

Oh, and to conclude. Like some other people said, keep the online / texting / phone calls brief. Investing too much time in this puts more pressure on both of you, and might hinder the overall experience. Like you said, what's done is done, so for the love of god, go in confident, and don't think it's the end of the world if it doesn't go well. Live and learn. Also don't try to force conversations, try to act loose, and just talk about random, silly things. Girls like random sillyness. The fact you have opposite interests is actually a GOOD thing. if you both sat there and talked about hockey the entire time, it would suck. You both have more to talk about this way.

Guest BuckFoston

WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR! Or at least that's what moms always say.

Also to the guy talking about relationships and converting, better known as compromise, that depends on what you are compromising. I don't see why my girlfriend has to watch sports with me if she doesn't like them (luckily she enjoys some, so there is a nice balance). By the same token I don't have to go watch romantic comedies with her if I don't like them (luckily, neither does she). For what? So I can sit there rolling my eyes and she will be down about it because she can't enjoy it now? I mean that's what your friends are for if you partner isn't into it. I really can't stand it when I see a girl dragging a guy to the theatre to see some stupid Jennifer Aniston movie and he has that "yup, my balls are in her purse" look the whole time. You wanna see it that much, take your girlfriends, have a fun girls night out. Let the guy have his own time too. That's the compromise.

Archived