The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a "Date"

Not to be Donny Downer, but it's better to NOT talk too much before you meet them... save more to talk about in person

Also, it's not very helpful to watch something that you might not even understand (context OR language) when, if it's too weird (much like what happened to me and frd after watching "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close") it left us going "uh... what did we just watch?" and our thoughts are still spent on processing what happened instead of being able to share experiences.

Why not go somewhere more interactive? If this was in August I would suggest the P.N.E., or just walk around and explore the Night Market and stuff like that. [#ConstructiveAdvice]

I talked to this girl sooooooo much on BBM, then in person we were both basically mutes and had nothing to talk about. It was awkward. Probably best to save a lot of the chat for in person, like someone said before me.

When I 1st started dating my girlfriend she hated hockey but I slowly forced it on her she is a huge canucks fan now more canucks shirts then me lol. Don't worry about it if it goes further then a first date your bound to try new things ;)

Hey, I've done about a dozen + blind dates, because I've used Plenty of Fish quite a bit. So I have a fair amount of experience in the area.

Going to a threatre is a terrible idea.

I'd put going for a walk above going to the theatre, and I've actually gone on a walk with a girl as a first date, with her dogs. It was good.

I've also gone to a movie with a girl on a first date, and it was dull.

So, if you can change your plans, and you're both old enough to drink, go for drinks. Like pimpcurtly suggested, some booze loosens both people up.

Nothing crazy, a few drinks.

I'd also say keep it brief. Two hours is a good first date... Then tell her you gotta go. Unless things are going so insanely well, I'd strongly advise this. It's great for attraction. If things went well, and it's brief, she'll want more of you.

If they're going really well after a few drinks, and you don't see a problem with it continuing, THEN MAYBE go see a movie.

I'd still advise against it though. Use your discretion though.

Oh, and to conclude. Like some other people said, keep the online / texting / phone calls brief. Investing too much time in this puts more pressure on both of you, and might hinder the overall experience. Like you said, what's done is done, so for the love of god, go in confident, and don't think it's the end of the world if it doesn't go well. Live and learn. Also don't try to force conversations, try to act loose, and just talk about random, silly things. Girls like random sillyness. The fact you have opposite interests is actually a GOOD thing. if you both sat there and talked about hockey the entire time, it would suck. You both have more to talk about this way.

We did have a walk afterward as well as genuine table talk (at a local shop). She loved the movie (which is a good thing). We talked on public transit and generally it was just chill. It was not bad for a first. Plus she's texting me now, so I imagine that's a good thing - yet I'm not sure anymore if she sees me the same way that I thought she saw me as. Maybe we're friends - maybe there's more? I dunno. She's a tad chatty, which is good. I tend not to talk too much. I need someone to spark conversation and I can carry it out.

It technically wasn't a blind date as we'd seen each others photos. But in person, I realized there was the 'myspace' illusion for a photo, if you catch my drift.

What makes you say that?

And you have to be careful with the whole "need someone to spark conversation" thing. In my experience, once the other side runs out of things to talk about or doesn't spark conversation one day for whatever reason, you'll run into the awkward silence and it will feel really weird.

Because she wasn't as playful as she was in text. Sure she was chatty and all but I'm not really sure she enjoyed it as much as she says she does... besides it was me who said that I had a great night with her and she agreed...

I thought I was being boring tonight. :(

That's where you come in, bud. Was this one of your first dates? (No shame to admit it, I've only been on two... first being when I was 17). Wait a few days before asking her out again, and that will be the tell-tale sign of where your relationship will be heading.

I know it may sound kind of cliche, but most girls look to the guy to "lead". I'm not the most exciting guy myself, but I plan, plan, plan! There's always a surprise every now and then to keep her on her toes, so she never knows what to expect next.

That said, I think you are being a little too hard on yourself.

Maybe you're just overthinking it. Did she seem like she would want to go out with you again?

Well I'm not Mr. Right myself but this girl is actually nice. I can look past the Myspace-like deception, if she has a nice personality - which she seems to have. I don't want to be shallow :P

That's where you come in, bud. Was this one of your first dates? (No shame to admit it, I've only been on two... first being when I was 17). Wait a few days before asking her out again, and that will be the tell-tale sign of where your relationship will be heading.

I know it may sound kind of cliche, but most girls look to the guy to "lead". I'm not the most exciting guy myself, but I plan, plan, plan! There's always a surprise every now and then to keep her on her toes, so she never knows what to expect next.

That said, I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. Nobody is perfect, and she's not expecting you to be. Don't be so negative!

Archived