The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a "Date"

No I don't use Myspace. The "myspace" deception is an illusion that young girls do for their photos that make them look a certain way (i.e. changing angles) or focussing on or away on certain parts.. if you catch my drift.

That's what I mean ;)

That being said.. I wasn't preying on young girls. She's very much legal age. At least I hope so!

Find the balance between those two. Lead and take initiative (in our case, in leading conversations) but don't become the Energizer Bunny yourself (going and going and go...). You probably did well, I'm with you in that I'm more charming and better at talking in text than in person. However, no stress if there's some quiet time; just use it to think of something else to say (and know current events, etc.).

Even though we don't really know one another it's something that we'll both work on!

I think it was a nice mixture between me leading the conversation and her carrying it. I found that she covered up any potential awkward moments well by expressing herself, even when I don't think I would have been ready.

I think it is somewhat established that we could lead to being good friends or... something more. :P

I think I've asked everything (minus the sports, camping trips) etc regarding her personal life. I've done some light flirting (as she has too). It's never been awkward (in text at least) - it always rejuvenates a text conversation somehow. She seems to take awkwardness as a good thing rather than bad.

Hate to be cocky but I'm a decent percentage first inning, home run hitter. Going steady a couple years now and my dating days are all but numbered. All i have is my experience to pass on. but I was successful with a few amazing girls. Just as beautiful on the inside as out, but never did blind dates or online meetings. My basic rules:

1. Details - take care of yourself - if you want a girl that takes care of herself you should try to mirror what you're looking for. My dates I usually have known the girl quite well already. Body hair is well trimmed (everywhere lol) and smell like a million bucks. Body wash, shampoo, deodorant and cologn are your best friends. Wash behind ears ect. Buy the best smelling things you can find. Wear feel-good clothing so once she touches you she wants to again (Calvin Klein steel micro fiber is nice). I take particular care of my eyebrows and any hairs that are out of place get yanked. It's nice to have a tan but don't use cheap fake and bake it looks like trash.

2. Energy - take your time - give yourself an hour to get ready, don't rush. Throw some music on and lay down a few dance moves (don't worry, nobody's watching if the curtains are drawn) that should help loosen you up. I like to get a few pushups and situps done - pumps you up and you feel better (after awhile look better too). A drink doesn't hurt either at this point, try a 'white Russian. Did I mention I have tried a white Russian? Yeah she was hot. Another thing about energy is be yourself. If you aren't you will feel uncomfortable and then so will she - game over. Try pretending you're almost by yourself (without ignoring her) and have fun. Girls can pick up on that especially in clubs. If you're having a great time on your own, chances are girls will pick up on that and will grab your attention.

3. Shut up - less is more - I was more successful when I lessened the chances of saying something that may offend or be disagreed with, by saying nothing at all. And if you learn more about her first - you have an advantage. Jump on anything you have in common with. It's usually good to talk about family and food (healthy). Stay away from obvious political issues - yuck.

I could really go on but then I would have to start charging some money for this. Take what I have mentioned for free and run with it. Pure gold as far as I'm concerned, can't see how you could screw it up. If you know the girl and like her. And she goes on a date with you there should be a home run everytime. girls want to be taken - so take them - take charge (but let them order first).

Ps - your house is spotless and bed is fresh. You never know who's coming back ;)

If that's the vibe you're getting, being good friends at the least, I'd say you're in REALLY good shape. Combined with the fact that she's been flirting with you, that's a good sign. Obviously if she continues to do that after you've actually met her, I'd say you're pretty much golden. It's a big step taking it to the face to face stuff, but eventually you'll do it. Just be confident in yourself; it's a good quality to show!

Make sure whatever you find out you relate to yourself in some way. That way you're creating one question into 10 minutes of conversation sometimes... maybe even more!

If you feel like she's showing the right signals for the relationship, really seal it off with something that will make her heart move big time. Again, if you're really shot for ideas, PM me.

Got news for you, in a "relationship", there's always "converting".

Engaging in activities one's romantic interest has isn't by any means giving one's individuality up as would be the insinuation here, especially if this type of thing is occasionally reciprocated as frequently. If people only did what they subjectively want, or in Dittohead's terms, "growing a pair", there'd be no relationship, and no point in being in one, therefore enjoy alone time with your own "pair".

It's hard to give advice on the subject for me because I don't know what OP wants out of this date between him and her.

If you want a one nighter, put on a show, cater to the things she's interested in, put on some moves.

If you are seriously interested in her and want to get to know her, be yourself, learn about and converse with what interests her, convey what interests you, let things become what they become and just enjoy time together. If she's interested in a relationship, and you put your foot forward, taking that step, if she wants the same she will reciprocate that. Simple.

Many thanks for your replies and your offer for more advice! I really DO appreciate it. :)

Well, this is basically what happened last night:

Chatted beforehand (IM)

Met up for the first time... was late for a few minutes (not good).

Watched a movie right away (was the original plan)

Walked for a bit, grabbed something to drink/eat, talked at the table.

Walked away to take public transit - chatted some more. /ended with a simple hug, initiated by me.

That was Day 1.

Duration was about 2 hrs (movie) and close to about 2 hrs for convo (partially because of traffic) - left late.

Afterward, we were IMing and everything was fine - talked to me like normal (playful etc). I guess I have to see what Day 2 is gonna be like, I guess.

He's talking about giving up watching or going to sports events and action movies because she does'nt like them....that is not fair to him..nor healthy for a relationship do not change what you like to please someone else... I have a friend who is like this with women he meets he's like a puppy dog following them around.... sorry that's lame and he is always in a fight with them breaking up about every 6 months....

I am by no means alone had many girl friends over the years been with the latest for almost 2 years and I was married for 9 that ended because she would rather get drunk and smoke cigarettes than do something else meanwhile I was busting my ass working so I ended that BS.

Be a man that's what they want. act like a feline and you will be treated like one. now I did'nt say don't go to a romcom or get interested in what she likes and a movie is bad idea for 1st date... go for a walk bike ride or some other activity like mini golf.... something where you can talk and find out interests....then LAY the Pipe!!

She's NOT a sports fan and she's only mildly interested in action movies - she loves the romcoms and the novels and stuff. It seems like we might not get along based on all those yet I don't mind the fact that she doesn't like sports or she likes romcoms. I think I'm ready to be somewhat converted. I'm a very open-minded person.

Need some advice?

Archived