The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

disputing a speeding ticket

2gingers1cup

i just got a speeding ticket today. my first one. i am an 18 year old N driver. i was going 60 in a school zone and fine is $138. he showed me the speed on his radar gun thing.

he cut it down already but i still can't afford that right now. if i were to dispute this ticket what happens?

the ticket has all the necessary information filled out, however there is no speed indicated. but through my research this was purposely done because he knocked down my ticket from $196.

i hear if the cop doesn't show up to court and i plead not guilty i don't have to pay anything. is this true?

also if he does show up is it possible for me to ask for an extension?

thanks

You don't have to pay the ticket right away. You can wait months if you want. It's just you can't renew your insurance until you do pay it (I THINK)

and yeah if you go to court, and he doesn't show up you automatically win, but if he does show up, you'll look really silly because he has evidence, and people are going to flame you on this board because you're wasting there money.

our taxes pay for the court system. Just be warned, people are going to yell and scream at you (through their computer screen) because you're "wasting their money"

friendly warning =).

I've had tons of friends take their tickets to court and win. Probably 80% of the time the cop won't show up.

My advice is to take it to court anyways. Tickets these days are ridiculous, and I think our government is corrupt anyways, and for an 18 year old, people don't understand that $140 IS A LOT OF MONEY. Good luck =)

ye it is true!!!!! go to court ... if you're lucky then he might now show up and u don't have to pay and it will not affect ur insurance.. Thing about ticket is that it will affect your car insurance to I believe ticket will show up 4 years or so..My friend went on highway 110 but he went court and nothing happened. officer didnt show up .

Oh another thing, speeding will put "Points" on your license. I think for an N driver you're allowed up to 4 points, and a speeding ticket is 3. If you go above 4 points, you lose your license. I would dispute it man. Even if you do look foolish it's worth it.

I am 92% sure that cops no longer have to go to court and can write a letter pleading their case.

If you pay the ticket in under 30 days, I believe your ticket is reduced like 20%. Otherwise, if you want to fight it, I think you get around 6 months or whatever, before you basically just plead guilty. This should be on the back of the ticket. If you fight it, you can send in a letter asking to reduce the fine, or you can even do this in court.

Moral of the story, just fight it. It can never turn out bad.

You were doing 60, double the speed limit, in a school zone??? :shock: And you think you should dispute the ticket??? . Suck it up, accept responsibility for doing something unbelievably stupid and dangerous and don't do it again. :picard:

You got off lucky, don't look a gift officer in the mouth. Get a paper route or something and man up.

ye it is true!!!!! go to court ... if you're lucky then he might now show up and u don't have to pay and it will not affect ur insurance.. Thing about ticket is that it will affect your car insurance to I believe ticket will show up 4 years or so..My friend went on highway 110 but he went court and nothing happened. officer didnt show up .

You were doing 60, double the speed limit, in a school zone??? :shock: And you think you should dispute the ticket??? . Suck it up, accept responsibility for doing something unbelievably stupid and dangerous and don't do it again. :picard:

You got off lucky, don't look a gift officer in the mouth. Get a paper route or something and man up.

This is awful advice and what the courts and cops want you to think. I agree 100% doing 60 in a school zone is retarded, and I hope the idea of the ticket will detour him in the future. But use the system to help you not hinder you. Fight the man. Accepting responsibility in front of cops or public figures will never pay off. Its not how the system works.

Your court date = the court dates of all the other drivers which were ticketed by the same cop.

At least that's what I've heard. So don't bank on the cop not showing up.

Seeing as how the ticket was already lowered, I doubt you can convince them to lower it even more.

Funny how some of you are telling the OP not to accept his responsibility.

Bunch of spoiled brats. I'm not surprised one bit that the Riots happened.

Your court date = the court dates of all the other drivers which were ticketed by the same cop.

At least that's what I've heard. So don't bank on the cop not showing up.

Seeing as how the ticket was already lowered, I doubt you can convince them to lower it even more.

Funny how some of you are telling the OP not to accept his responsibility.

Bunch of spoiled brats. I'm not surprised one bit that the Riots happened.

Doing double the speed limit in a SCHOOL zone is unbelievably stupid and dangerous.And if there'd been a child on the road? By then it would be too late and the outcome much different and possibly tragic.

To some of you others posting in here:

Perhaps the difficulty in having to come up with the funds to pay this ticket will help cement the message home that this sort of driving behavior is against the law.

Part of accepting the consequences of your actions is paying the price for it. And the OP ALREADY got a break. And wants STILL more. Disputing the ticket is only a way to try and squirm out of taking responsibility.

I simply cannot believe that a number of you in here are in effect condoning the OP's behavior by giving him advice on how to get out of paying the ticket he so rightly deserved and now doesn't want to pay. Unfrickingbelievable.

The OP has in no way accepted the consequences of his actions if he's trying to weasel out of paying an already reduced ticket.

Archived