The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

disputing a speeding ticket

2gingers1cup

I got a speeding ticket last week and just paid it off. I thought about disputing it

but i have some history with the cop that issued it to me.

Long story short, his daughter and i used to be more than just friends, but things

didn't end so well between the 2 of us. So i had a feeling he would show up if i went

that route haha...

i just got a speeding ticket today. my first one. i am an 18 year old N driver. i was going 60 in a school zone and fine is $138. he showed me the speed on his radar gun thing.

he cut it down already but i still can't afford that right now. if i were to dispute this ticket what happens?

the ticket has all the necessary information filled out, however there is no speed indicated. but through my research this was purposely done because he knocked down my ticket from $196.

i hear if the cop doesn't show up to court and i plead not guilty i don't have to pay anything. is this true?

also if he does show up is it possible for me to ask for an extension?

thanks

Almost just as bad.

A slow driver not only holds up traffic, but tends to cause much more problems than a fast one. Eventually it causes tailgaiting, rear ending, and road rage.

In some U.S. States (I'm not sure about here), driving 10 miles under the speed limit is much more expensive fine than driving 10 miles over the speed limit.

oh really. My buddy had his "N" and was nailed for speeding and talking on the phone. They took his licence way for 3 months. They take speeding in a school zone very seriously, and no I am not overreacting, speeding in a school zone is just stupid. Going double is just ignorant and careless.

The OP claims he can't afford it, I say he should have thought about that before driving like an idiot.

Well, you don't need to call him an idiot for starters. Everyone makes mistakes. If you claim you've never sped before then we already know you're lying. They probably took his license away because he was doing both. Lots of kids get caught for speeding with their N and don't have their license revoked.

He was going double in a school zone! The SOMV can suspend his license if he sees fit. Sure I've gone over the speed limit to go with traffic but NEVER in a school zone. I've been driving for about 19 years and I've never had a speeding ticket. Going double in a school zone isn't a mistake, its just reckless.

Considering they are 18 and likely still in school you would think they would know the dangers of a car speeding in a school zone represent.

I've been driving for 7 years and got one ticket a couple years ago on highway 91 where the speed limit is 90km/h.

I was driving on the left lane to pass people going slower cuz I usually go ~10 km/h faster than the speed limit. However as I was slowly passing the cars in the right lane (a steady stream of them) a car came up behind me and started tailgating me to get out of the way. However, since there were so many cars in the right lane I couldn't simply get over so I sped up to ~115 km/h to get in front of the train of cars in the right lane to move over for this guy tailgating me. Immediately after I changed lanes we started to round a corner and just ahead under the overpass a cop waved us both over and gave us both tickets. and the cop didn't reduce it for me either giving me the max at $195.

But you know what, I paid it even though I didn't feel like I deserved it because I consciously chose to speed and I got caught. I knew what the consequences were and I owned up to my actions. and believe me, it hurt. $195 was a lot to me at the time as I was a full-time student. Plus I made sure not to speed for at least a year so my insurance rates wouldn't go up so helped correct my speeding behaviour long-term.

My advice is to just pay the ticket, feel the financial hurt and don't do it again. especially in a school zone

Holy crap this thread escalated so fast. My initial post was just a couple of quick questions about the court system and how it works with speeding tickets. I have been court watching before and have seen cops not show up for a disputed ticket. The offender then pleaded not guilty and he didn't have to pay a fine. I was just wondering if this type of situation is still possible because I saw this last year. Perhaps I should have gone more in-depth in my post.

I just wanted to get an extension to pay my fine. I know what I did was wrong. I am known as one of the safer drivers in my friend groups. I almost never speed and always follow traffic rules. I took driving lessons for a reason. This one time I did it because I was driving in an area where I don't usually drive with my mom in the car. She has ulcer colitis and has to go to the bathroom numerous times a day. I had to rush her to a bathroom.

But people are so quick to judge me. Don't judge me if you don't know me please. Like I said, I know what I did was wrong and I'm willing to pay the fine once I get the funds. I was just wondering if I could dispute the ticket and get an extension on paying the fine because on the back of the ticket it says that if I don't pay it within 30 days it will go on my record and I don't want that to happen.

Anyways... thanks to those that answered my questions in a positive sense. And to those who called me irresponsible, immature, and an idiot.. well, I can retaliate but I'd rather not

Holy crap this thread escalated so fast. My initial post was just a couple of quick questions about the court system and how it works with speeding tickets. I have been court watching before and have seen cops not show up for a disputed ticket. The offender then pleaded not guilty and he didn't have to pay a fine. I was just wondering if this type of situation is still possible because I saw this last year. Perhaps I should have gone more in-depth in my post.

I just wanted to get an extension to pay my fine. I know what I did was wrong. I am known as one of the safer drivers in my friend groups. I almost never speed and always follow traffic rules. I took driving lessons for a reason. This one time I did it because I was driving in an area where I don't usually drive with my mom in the car. She has ulcer colitis and has to go to the bathroom numerous times a day. I had to rush her to a bathroom.

But people are so quick to judge me. Don't judge me if you don't know me please. Like I said, I know what I did was wrong and I'm willing to pay the fine once I get the funds. I was just wondering if I could dispute the ticket and get an extension on paying the fine because on the back of the ticket it says that if I don't pay it within 30 days it will go on my record and I don't want that to happen.

Anyways... thanks to those that answered my questions in a positive sense. And to those who called me irresponsible, immature, and an idiot.. well, I can retaliate but I'd rather not

When school zones are not in effect, its usually a 50km/h limit and come on, lets be honest, a lot of us go up to 60km/h in 50km/h zones. Making this mistake is understandable.

However, I don't think the OP should be disputing this ticket as though he did not drive at that speed. Doing so would be making a mockery of our legal system. Disputing the ticket is for the those who genuinely did not speed past the limit. In our legal system which seems to follow Blackstone's formulation, guilty people seem to exploit the protections for the truly innocent.

Archived