Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Potential UFA Defencemen Signings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

I still believe that our defence is the worst aspect of the Canucks team right now and needs some serious adressing. You clearly can't win in the playoffs with an offensively-minded defence - as far as it gets us in the regular season, the playoffs is a much more physical, close-checking type of game that we need to adapt to because good defences are winning Cups against us right now.

We need to get bigger on the back-end, more physical, meaner and much sounder positionally. No more stupid pinches or offensive risks that lead to odd-man rushes the other way, because in the playoffs thats how teams like Boston and the Kings have ripped us apart.

We also need some experience and age on the blueline, because guys like Edler and even Bieksa and Hamhuis are still relatively young and haven't been in the league for very long which is why they always come unravelled in the playoffs in key pressure moments. Our only greybeard is Salo but he's not a very vocal guy, nevertheless he does have a noticeable calming influence on our D-men, which is what we need more of. Just look at the Kings recent cup win and what Mitchell and Greene did for Voynov, Martinec and Doughty.

Sheldon Brookbank - 14 points in 80 games but a whopping 120 hits and 110 blocked shots. Weighs in at 6'2" 202 lbs. 32 years old hard-nosed Canadian defenceman who's somehow a +11 on the Ducks. Made just $750K last season and would be an ideal #5 or 6 guy, especially with the free-wheeling Ballard.

Michal Rozsival - 13 points in 54 games but 62 hits and 91 blocked shots. He's a surprising 6'2" 210 lbs and plays solid defence. Plus, he's been in the league for over 500 games and would bring a lot of veteran experience to our blueline. Cap hit was 5 million last season but he'd take a considerable cut, maybe 3 million if we're lucky.

Carlo Colaiacovo - 6'1" 195 lbs but 73 hits and 81 blocked shots in just 64 games shows he's a physical shutdown kind of player. His 2.1 million cap hit of last season is very likely to go up a bit but not by much.

Jason Garrison - Not going to highlight him too much, he'd be perfect for this team. Big strong and physical (127 hits, 6'1" 220 lbs and 124 blocked shots) but he's still relatively inexperienced with just 190 games under his belt. Worth a 3 to 4 million dollar deal for sure.

Jim Vandermeer - 6'1" 215 lbs and he uses all of it. He had a rough season in San Jose with injuries, but looking back he had 122 and 158 hits in his last 2 seasons of just 62 games, hitting at over 2 hits a game. He's 32 years old and has almost 500 games experience so is exactly what this team needs on the back-end. Cap hit of 1 million last year would be a steal.

Sure there's guys like Carle and Wideman who will be the big targets, but the Canucks already have 3 good offensive defencemen, now we need some big physical shutdown guys on the blueline. You win Cups with defencemen like Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Ference, Boychuk, Mitchell, Greene and Martinec who play solid defence first and then think about offence, not small, fragile defencemen like Tanev, Ballard and Salo. Ideally we'd nab two of these guys (personally I'd like Garrisson and Vandemeer for around 5 million all up).

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Vandemeer
Garrison - Salo

Each of those pairings has the perfect mix of offence (Bieksa/Edler/Garrison), defensive capability (Hamhuis/Vandemeer/Salo), physicality (Hamhuis/Vandemeer/Garrison), experience (Vandemeer/Salo) and youth (Edler/Garrison) with our top pairing boasting 2 players in their prime.
Posted Image

#2 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

I think Garrison has just had his peak season. Highly doubt he can ever do it again, everything just clicked and i think he would fail in Van.

I graduated with him so I want to see all the best but I think hes best suited for the small town market.

Stay in the sunshine Jason...

#3 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

I think Garrison has just had his peak season. Highly doubt he can ever do it again, everything just clicked and i think he would fail in Van.

I graduated with him so I want to see all the best but I think hes best suited for the small town market.

Stay in the sunshine Jason...

Sorta like Ballard?

#4 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Colaiacovo would be great to pick up; him with Edler could be great if he stays healthy. If poss. sign Brookbank to play in more physical affairs and maybe keep Tanev out against physically tougher opponents in those games.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,355 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

What about this?

Edler - Colaiacovo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - Salo/Allen

Much more rounded out defense.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 13 June 2012 - 06:21 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

No thanks for the most part, Garrison would be a beauty but he's staying in florida. I do agree that our D blows, but I don't agree with the players you are targeting. I also don't think a couple fringe defensive D fix the problem.

You mentioned LA and Boston, well they have absolutely insane number 1 defensemen that do everything and hardly leave the ice. we don't even have a number 2 in the system. That is the difference between their D and ours, our D is more balanced than nearly all the teams but our top end D are not even in the same ballpark as the teams that went past the 1st round. We need to acquire top D, simple as that or no cup.

Edited by shevanel, 13 June 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Other players of interest (staying with defensive D) are:
Bryan Allen
Bryce Salvador (he'll most likely stay in NJ however)
Mark Eaton
Hal Gill
Andy Sutton
Shaone Morrisonn
Adrian Aucion
Greg Zanon
Milan Jurcina
Sheldon Souray
Scott Hannan
Radek Martinek

Edited by Jagermeister, 13 June 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

What about this?

Edler - Colaiacovo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - Salo/Allen

Much more rounded out defense.

I don't think colaiaaaiaiaiacovo is a top pairing D, nor Edler. I would like to pick up allen though...how about this..

........- ........
Hammer-Bieksa
Edler-Allen
Salo as the 7th, let tanev play in the A again and we go out and get some legit 1st pairing D.

Edited by shevanel, 13 June 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#9 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

I 100% agree with OP
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Here are the guys that are currently unsigned that I would like to get if they somehow were made avaliable (I know some are unlikely)

- Ryan Suter
- Jason Garrison
- Dennis Wideman
- Brad Stuart
- Matt Carle
- Barret Jackman
- Michal Rozsival
- Bryce Salvador

Then there are others like Colaiacovo, Allen, Zanon, Kuba, Kubina and so on.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 13 June 2012 - 07:03 PM.

zackass.png

#11 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I think we should target Garrison because of his supposed interest in playing here. From what I've heard he can play shutdown minutes and he has a terrific point shot. With the Sedins setting him up for one-timers on the PP I think it would be a deadly combination. I would try to sign him for 2 or 3 years though because if he get's unmotivated with a new contract it could backfire on us if he's signed long term.

#12 Daniel Sedin

Daniel Sedin

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Other players of interest (staying with defensive D) are:
Bryan Allen
Bryce Salvador (he'll most likely stay in NJ however)
Mark Eaton
Hal Gill
Andy Sutton
Shaone Morrisonn
Adrian Aucion
Greg Zanon
Milan Jurcina
Sheldon Souray
Scott Hannan
Radek Martinek

He already resigned with EDM

#13 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Would anybody be opposed of a Kuba - Kubina 3rd pairing?

Aside from a commentator's nightmare...

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#14 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Allen and Brookbank...toughen up our D. Keep Hammer, Bieksa and Tanev....use Brookbank and Salo as 6th/7th guys

Move out Rome,Alberts and Ballard. Possibly move Edler in a package for a clearcut #1 guy. Keep gragnani as a #8 guy.

Hammer Bieksa
??? Allen
Brookbank Tanev
Salo Gragnani

Or

Hammer Bieksa
Edler Allen
Brookbank Tanev
Gragnani Salo

#15 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I think we will address our d via trade. Specifically Luongo.

#16 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I'll take Bryan Allen or Jason Garrison. If we got Allen back that would be really awesome, he's just the kind of defencemen we need
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#17 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Besides the normal Allen's, Garrison's etc,

I wouldnt mind Carkner or Bickel for the 6th or 7th Dman.

Carkner may be too slow for the team though but is suppose to be great in the room and will stick up for anyone.

Bickel seems like a young Carkner.

We need one or two real nasty guys on the backend to balance out the D.
http://Posted Image

#18 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

No thanks for the most part, Garrison would be a beauty but he's staying in florida. I do agree that our D blows, but I don't agree with the players you are targeting. I also don't think a couple fringe defensive D fix the problem.

You mentioned LA and Boston, well they have absolutely insane number 1 defensemen that do everything and hardly leave the ice. we don't even have a number 2 in the system. That is the difference between their D and ours, our D is more balanced than nearly all the teams but our top end D are not even in the same ballpark as the teams that went past the 1st round. We need to acquire top D, simple as that or no cup.

I agree that we need a top-3 defenceman in the NHL because Norris trophy winners/nominees seem to be winning all the cups, even before the lockout.

However, it's almost impossible to acquire one of these franchise defenceman so we're going to have to develop from within, and the best chance we have is Edler, so we should try and MAKE him a #1 defenceman by finding a partner he can work with perfectly. I understand AV wants Hamhuis with Bieksa, but Edler deserves a physical shutdown guy more, and he needs a veteran presence desperately to calm him down in pressure situations. Just look at Mitchell's affect on Doughty and Greene's influence on Voynov and Martinec - their young D-men played so well because they were partnered with a wiley veteran.

Based on that, I'd love to see this:

Bieksa - Hamhuis (22-24 minutes)
Edler - Allen (Edler 22 minutes, Allen 20 minutes)
Salo - Garrisson (Salo 18 minutes, Garrisson 18 minutes)
Vandemeer - Tanev
Alberts

With older guys like Allen and Salo we'll need to have some backup insurance in case of injury, and Vandemeer would slot in perfectly to either pairing. Now we have the right number of offensive risk-taking defencemen (Bieksa and Edler), solid shutdown defencemen (Allen, Hamhuis) and good overall defencemen (Salo and Garrison), while we also have the perfect mix of youth and age.
Posted Image

#19 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

I agree with shevanel. We need a top defenceman. we may have to give up some to get some, but that's how it goes.

Allen and Garrison are good, but we could use larger, more aggressive and over protective blueliners.

We lack a true number one. Edler is not it. I know, I know, many of you are banking on him. He's an all star, Norris worthy blah blah blah. However if this was true, he would have shown it when it mattered most. During the playoffs.

The idea is simple. A great defensive core locks down the blueline during the playoffs. Ours was wide open.

It has been obvious that the d-corps is suffering or else AV wouldn't have felt the need to switch up pairings a million times during the stretch run.

The Canucks need an anchor. A number one defenseman who can play huge minutes and punish opposing forwards.

We don't have that. Hopefully this summer brings the possibility of acquiring one. Or two.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 15 June 2012 - 09:26 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

Bring Jackman home! A Jackman - Bieksa pairing would be downright scary for opposing forwards.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.