The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV and Cognitive Bias-by Jeff Angus

Edler's Mind Tricks

I will not agrue against AV's regular season coaching record as it stands on its own is great. I do think that he was out coach twice by Chicago in the playoffs 2 years in a row and almost again last year as he let Chicago back in the first round series after being up 3 games to 0. The OT goal in game 7 by Burrows saved his a$$, otherwise he came that close to going out in the first round. Then I agree with the poster that he was out coached in the Boston series. Not able to adjust to Bostons style of play and keeping Roberto in goal too long in all three of the games in Boston. Then again this year, well I won't mention that I will leave that up to you. Anyhow I have watched hockey long enough to know sometimes there are great regular season coaches but are unable to win the big games. Until I have been proven wrong and I hope I am worng on this one, AV is that type of a coach.

TLDR but when it comes down to it.

AV chokes in the playoffs and this team needs someone to jumpstart them and act like a leader when they are tail spining.

Instead of making adjustments during the game, he just lets the "guys figure it out"....

Sorry but AV should have been fired.

I compare a Hockey team to a linked chain. What are the weakest links that the opposition can exploit at any given time?

In My Humble Opinion:

It's not the Coach (altho he may blunder a few times , we are all Human)

It's hard to nail down because it could be anyone at any given time.

Lou has shined at most times, but has moments where he lapsed

Scheider the same

Team health going into the post season has been a MAJOR factor the last 3 years (or should I say , the lack thereof)

I like MG's attitude , that if a deal makes the Nucks better, he is going for it. It takes assets to get assets, I for one am looking forward to seeing what gains we can make this summer!!!

My wish for the Nucks is to get Bigger and Meaner!!!

Speaking about social psychology terms (and books), it's important to note that Khaneman (Thinking Fast & Slow) and other well documented authors highlight the importance and enormous role that luck and chance play in major events (Canucks' EX: Game 5 Stanchion). They note, that too often we over-attribute the immense and powerful role of luck to skill and that our society is built around an illusion of control and skill in terms of monetary rewards for high paying jobs (they note that Wall Street was essentially a game of Roulette, with some bets--stocks--working out and others falling through).

Nothing really to add, but who knows, maybe if the Canucks were luckier in game 7 last year, teams would be trying to re-model around a finesse and possession game instead of the Bruins rough and tumble mantra(i.e. Canucks' knee-jerk reaction to last years loss by trying to get tougher with players like Kassian).

I compare a Hockey team to a linked chain. What are the weakest links that the opposition can exploit at any given time?

In My Humble Opinion:

It's not the Coach (altho he may blunder a few times , we are all Human)

It's hard to nail down because it could be anyone at any given time.

Lou has shined at most times, but has moments where he lapsed

Scheider the same

Team health going into the post season has been a MAJOR factor the last 3 years (or should I say , the lack thereof)

I like MG's attitude , that if a deal makes the Nucks better, he is going for it. It takes assets to get assets, I for one am looking forward to seeing what gains we can make this summer!!!

My wish for the Nucks is to get Bigger and Meaner!!!

See, articles like this are written and stupid people just gobble it up. I stopped reading in the playing favorites section because it was much of the same false information. "Av rewards performance"

Tell Mason Raymond that AV rewards performance :rolleyes:

I can't read drivel like this anymore, and it's kind of sickening that people buy this crap cuz someone tells them to...

OP: Good post, agree.

REST: You are selfish ingrateful whining babies who cant even spend TWO minutes reading a long post but still feel the need to respond to it without knowing what its even about? There is so much stuff to do in your day that you read the entire forum but skip all the posts that actually have content because you dislike reading, cant read, or are just too ???? ignorant. SERIOUSLY? You are the type of person that does not belong in the world, you are the type of person that I hope kills themselves doing something stupid so the human race becomes stronger instead of dumber.

TLDR: LEARN TO ???? READ ASSHOLES

This is what I see in the playoffs, when scouting makes it money and teams have a gameplan in place to beat us, AV just stands there chewing his gum watching his team give it up for long stretches. There is no time outs, no anger or passion, just gum chewing. We all understand game face and all that stuff, but if your losing you have to make an adjustment, and I'm talking breakouts, strategy on dump-ins, different D-zone clearing plays... Not putting a different player with the sedins. It's not enough.

Archived