Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
300 replies to this topic

#1 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

http://bleacherrepor...ncouver-canucks
Not the best source but still makes a great point.

Edited by timmylu1, 14 June 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#2 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, but in less detail. Luongo > Schneider, if you want to argue me about it than go ahead but I'm not going to listen to idiots who think he lost us the Cup and think he's a "choke artist" like the article points out.

Vancouver losing Luongo would be the worst move this franchise makes after everything he has done for us, but also what he is on the cusp of doing for this city.
Posted Image

#3 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

I trust MG to make the right decision, and I think either way we're sitting pretty.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#4 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, but in less detail. Luongo > Schneider, if you want to argue me about it than go ahead but I'm not going to listen to idiots who think he lost us the Cup and think he's a "choke artist" like the article points out.

Vancouver losing Luongo would be the worst move this franchise makes after everything he has done for us, but also what he is on the cusp of doing for this city.

What do you think he is on the cusp of doing exactly? I dont think it's winning the Stanley cup, which is the only thing that matters anymore. Yes, Luongo has helped this team along greatly over the past number of years but he's proven that the playoffs do not agree with him. Three straight years of meltdowns against Chicago and Boston are a testament to that.

#5 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

What do you think he is on the cusp of doing exactly? I dont think it's winning the Stanley cup, which is the only thing that matters anymore. Yes, Luongo has helped this team along greatly over the past number of years but he's proven that the playoffs do not agree with him. Three straight years of meltdowns against Chicago and Boston are a testament to that.

Patrick Roy only won the cup twice. I'm sure he didn't have glorious exits from the playoffs in the other years.

I am more in favor of Schneider in net, but I just thought I would play devil's advocate.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#6 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

So you agree that Gillis needs to get rid of Kesler and the Sedins.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

You don't know that for a fact if Losing Luongo would be the worst thing now do you? Like I said before not many Goaltenders can play into their 40's like Brodeur. But guys like you make excuses as to why Schnieder won't get us there either. Not proven, Not enough experience , or whatever you said in the past but Goaltenders like Roy, Dryden, and Broduer have proven in their first year if given the opportunity can lead you to the conference finals or even winning the cup with only a half season or less under their belts. Again I can make the same arguments too.
Can we make those same statements 6 years ago DownUnda that we put our faith on a goaltender in Luongo who hasn't played on a winning team or even a sniff of the playoffs before coming here? Wasn't that a gamble 6 years ago when we still had Cloutier under Contract with us? At least Dan had playoff experience. Wasn't Dan called a choke artist too?
Montreal took a gamble on Dryden with 6 games under his belt ,and he took them to the cup. Broduer and Roy only had 47 under their belt with NJ and Montreal respectively and they took them deep into the playoffs. So what are you going to say to us if your wrong about Schnieder? Don't get me wrong here. I do understand what your saying. But to say it would be a mistake without giving Cory a chance to see how he handles things is a little prematured!
But overall I know its a team game. Not one player can lead us to the cup nor one player losses it for the team.

Edited by canacks1970, 14 June 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

Well let me ask you this: would you rather have great goalies like Ron Hextall or Curtis Joseph in net for you, or Chris Osgood?

My point is obvious... stats on paper do not matter, clutch playoff performances do ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Brodeur, Roy etc. I think it is time for some Canuck fans to take their blinders off (along with their "I'm a true Canuck fan because I stick behind Roberto!") and realize that he is not a clutch performer, hasn't been since he ever stepped foot in a big game crease, and possibly never will be. Schneider is simply a younger, faster, more athletic and level headed goalie. It is time for Nuck Nation to move on from the roller coaster that is Roberto Luongo... unfortunately might I add.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#9 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Patrick Roy only won the cup twice. I'm sure he didn't have glorious exits from the playoffs in the other years.

I am more in favor of Schneider in net, but I just thought I would play devil's advocate.

Roy has 4 cups - 2 with Habs, 2 with Avs

#10 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Well let me ask you this: would you rather have great goalies like Ron Hextall or Curtis Joseph in net for you, or Chris Osgood?

My point is obvious... stats on paper do not matter, clutch playoff performances do ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Brodeur, Roy etc. I think it is time for some Canuck fans to take their blinders off (along with their "I'm a true Canuck fan because I stick behind Roberto!") and realize that he is not a clutch performer, hasn't been since he ever stepped foot in a big game crease, and possibly never will be. Schneider is simply a younger, faster, more athletic and level headed goalie. It is time for Nuck Nation to move on from the roller coaster that is Roberto Luongo... unfortunately might I add.

I think both sides of this argument have blinders on that need to be taken off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Macethan

Macethan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

It's hard for everybody when we were one win away from winning the cup, but let's not forget it's harder on Luongo for not winning it because he was the one working hard night in, night out on the ice. He knows what it takes to win the cup better than any of us. Cory got 3 chances and he could not save us from LA either. Hockey is a team game. Stop pointing fingers at the goalie.

kate400x100.jpg

#12 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

In the end, it comes down to future. Honestly, Schneider is younger and will be a great goalie. Saying that Schneider is unproven because he hasn't played a full season is like saying Luongo is a choke artist because he lost in game 7 of the finals.

They are both great goalies, but it makes sense financially and for the future of the team to go with the guy we drafted first round as a high school student and developed throughout college and the AHL. Luongo will continue to be a great goalie somewhere else, but to say he's the rightful goalie is to dismiss all the arguments in favor of Schneider.

#13 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Hilarious!

#14 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

I think both sides of this argument have blinders on that need to be taken off.

How so? Lou is damaged mentally by being in the spotlight in Van, which is why he wants out, which is why he underperforms, and, which is why it is time to move on and go with the Schneiderman no? Anyone who believes that Lou mentally has what it takes to steal the cup for us like every winning goalie does every year in the post season ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Roy, Brodeur etc needs to take their blinders off.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#15 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Who is going to be the better goalie in 5 years? oh yeah, Schneider
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#16 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

So now the bleacher report is credible. Ooooooh.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#17 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Who is going to be the better goalie in 5 years? oh yeah, Schneider

You don't know that. Schneider, although the possibility of him failing is low, has yet to be tested in a full season where he is the starter.

#18 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

This is why I won't bother with you. Luongo didn't melt down - the team melted down. Sure, he let in some bad goals and lost us a couple of games in each of those series, but Luongo won us his fair share single-handedly as a goalie. The rest of the team didn't come up big when they had to. Just look at Game 7 against Chicago - our team was disgusting in front of him, let up 30+ shots of great quality including a disgusting effort on our powerplay to let Toews get a shot away and tie the game with sloppy defence. If we had lost that game and Luongo didn't make those saves, the Canucks would have not only missed out on the SCF at all, but would have been the focal embarassment of the history of the NHL. Not many teams lose 3-0 up, let alone the Presidents trophy winners against the 8th seed, let alone being bounced by the same time 3 seasons in a row. That would have put us in the record books for all the wrong reasons and we would have seen an overhaul in Vancouver from top to bottom. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise's dignity and name and got us to the final game of the season. Don't even mention Boston - our forwards scored 8 goals, Luongo single-handedly stole us 2 wins we didn't deserve and the other 18 skaters could only really get us 1.
Posted Image

#19 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

It's hard for everybody when we were one win away from winning the cup, but let's not forget it's harder on Luongo for not winning it because he was the one working hard night in, night out on the ice. He knows what it takes to win the cup better than any of us. Cory got 3 chances and he could not save us from LA either. Hockey is a team game. Stop pointing fingers at the goalie.

It's a team game and not one player can be blamed for a loss, except the goalie. Let's face it when a goalie plays a stinker there is no way the team can win, it is the most important position on the ice x5. I'm getting tired of the posts saying its not Lou's flat it's a team game.

#20 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

You don't know that for a fact if Losing Luongo would be the worst thing now do you? Like I said before not many Goaltenders can play into their 40's like Brodeur. But guys like you make excuses as to why Schnieder won't get us there either. Not proven, Not enough experience , or whatever you said in the past but Goaltenders like Roy, Dryden, and Broduer have proven in their first year if given the opportunity can lead you to the conference finals or even winning the cup with only a half season or less under their belts. Again I can make the same arguments too.
Can we make those same statements 6 years ago DownUnda that we put our faith on a goaltender in Luongo who hasn't played on a winning team or even a sniff of the playoffs before coming here? Wasn't that a gamble 6 years ago when we still had Cloutier under Contract with us? At least Dan had playoff experience. Wasn't Dan called a choke artist too?
Montreal took a gamble on Dryden with 6 games under his belt ,and he took them to the cup. Broduer and Roy only had 47 under their belt with NJ and Montreal respectively and they took them deep into the playoffs. So what are you going to say to us if your wrong about Schnieder? Don't get me wrong here. I do understand what your saying. But to say it would be a mistake without giving Cory a chance to see how he handles things is a little prematured!
But overall I know its a team game. Not one player can lead us to the cup nor one player losses it for the team.

There are no guarantees in this league, it's all about probability which is what MG has to work with. Quite simply, a goalie who has played in this league for a long time, who has seen it all, who is consecutively putting up 30-win seasons and who has an extensive playoff resume, a Gold medal win under his belt and a knack for winning the big games has a MUCH higher probability of winning Vancouver a Cup than a kid who has played a total 56 regular season games, 3 playoff games and has 1 playoff win to his name.

When Luongo was brought to Vancouver he was not an unproven kid like Schneider, he was one of the best goalies despite being in Florida and he won the trust of Vancouver over in a matter of weeks. Luongo was in his prime when he came here and he had already proven that he can handle the intense workload - Schneider has not. He hasn't played more than 33 games in a season, so we have no idea how he'll face 50-60.

If you are honestly comparing Schneider to Brodeur and Roy, wow. Again, it might happen, but it comes down to probability. What is the probability that Cory Schneider will become one of the 2 greatest NHL goaltenders in the history of 120 years? Not likely.

Now I understand everyone believes Schneider deserves an opportunity because without one he'll never prove his true worth, but the Canucks are not at the stage where they should be dishing out trials to young goalies. We need to win a Cup and we need to do so within the next 3 to 4 years while we still have the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Kesler and co. in their prime.

And worst of all (which I believe is happening to most CDC fans so pay attention) is that people are being blinded by Schneider's sparkling statistics and acrobatic saves. The kid has played 33 games max in a regular season, most of these sporadically and not consecutively. There is a big jump from backup to carrying a full workload of a 60-70 game season and it's usually the cracking point. Just like rookie scorers come out of the gates red-hot and cool off due to inconsistency, goalies get fatigued. We've seen the effect of fatigue year after year, which is why only 3 (now including Quick) goalies in the last decade and a bit have won the Cup after playing more than 60 games. Schneider has no idea how to handle this extra workload, Luongo does. Again, people will want us to give Schneider a chance and let him undertake this workload, but again the Canucks are not a team in the position to be dolling out chances like this and risking our season on whether a kid goalie can handle the big minutes, because once again it comes down to probability and that's a risk MG shouldn't take. Schneider played 7 consecutive games for the first time in his career last season and was ventilated twice, once against one of the worst offensive teams in Nashville. I know it's a small sample size but again, probability - if that's all we have to judge how he'll deal with a busy schedule then he has a low probability of playing well consistently for 60 games.

Finally, I compare Schneider to the young goalies like Quick and Rinne who started playing on their teams at very young ages with a couple of backup seasons and then really took over. Sure, they sparkled, but lets not forget both teams are solid defensively, have defensive stars and play a defence-first style of game. The Canucks are much more offensive-minded, especially their defence, which leaves our goalie much more vulnerable. Furthermore, in the first 3 or 4 seasons in the playoffs, Quick and Rinne were absolutely brutal. This is another sign of how long it takes a goalie to adjust and learn from the playoffs, which is time we simply don't have. We can't wait for Schneider to get accustomed to the playoffs and learn from his mistakes before he goes on a run like Quick did this post-season because by then our team will have run its window out. Instead we have a goalie who is coming off 4 solid playoff runs in which he has taken a lot out of each one, and has only gotten better each time in Luongo.

This guy is on the cusp of winning a Cup for Vancouver, his window of opportunity matches that of the rest of the Canucks core and it makes sense to stick with him for this run. Schneider should only be used to help limit Luongo's games so he is freshest for the playoffs and sure, if Luongo bombs out in the post-season and single-handedly somehow puts us down in a series despite good play by the rest of our team, or Schneider just really shines and goes on a hot run leading up to the playoffs, Schneider can take the net. Otherwise, this is still Luongo's house and he doesn't only deserve to keep his starting job, he gives us the best chance to win a cup.
Posted Image

#21 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Keeping a goalie because someone hoped that 7 years he'd win us a cup is a stupid concept. And he hasn't won us a cup so ....

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I would go with Luo.

He is a core player and brought the Nucks to the dance.

Cory is a good young goalie without the body of work to go by.

Window closing,get whatever you can for Schneids and roll.

#23 PowerAids

PowerAids

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Sounds like you're a little scared of change down unda.

Yes, it is risky going with the "unproven" Schneider.... But have you watched this kid play?!?
In every big game he has played he has excelled, he played 3 playoff games this year and managed to have fantastic #'s despite losing 2 of them, not to mention the stellar game he played against Boston earlier in the season.

I don't blame Lu for our playoff failures, but watching Cory play I think he is the real deal, and if we traded him now after developing him for 8 years ( has the kid not earned a shot? ) we would be kicking ourselves as we watched yet another former Canuck raise the cup, maybe not next year, but soon.

BUT,
If MG pulls off a blockbuster trade and Schneider is involved... I would not be worried at all going forward with Lu, I believe he is capable of winning a cup.

#24 CanucksHD

CanucksHD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Keep Lu and trade Schneider for a top 10 pick or a high end F/D.

#25 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Schnider is a better goalie than Luongo right now, let alone the future.

#26 PowerAids

PowerAids

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

And worst of all (which I believe is happening to most CDC fans so pay attention) is that people are being blinded by Schneider's sparkling statistics and acrobatic saves.

First of all the #'s are impressive.... Yes you can theorize that his #'s will balance out over more games.... But you can also say he's performed fantastic in every single game he's played save for 1 in minny I think.

Secondly, it's definitely not his acrobatic saves that wow me, those are just a plus. It's his positioning, his unbelievably quick side to side movements, those things are the basis of a great tender, now add the athleticism and never give up attitude he has and you've got yourself a winning goaltender.

Just my .02 anyways.

#27 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yes Luongo has contributed to Vancouver going from being a bad team to being a contender but sooner or later change is necessary for the team to grow.
Luongo isn't any different than any other player who gets traded, you do what you can to improve the team. Schneider has proven that he is a solid goalie, is younger, faster and ready for to take over the reigns.
Vancouver has some holes that need to be plugged (top 4 D and a top 6 forward) and trading Luongo can help get one of those players and a pick to restock the farm team. Yes it is a gamble but it is a calculated gamble because of what Schneider has shown us....he can play.
If you want a top 4 D or a top 6 forward, you need to have cap space and trading Schneider will only free up $900K whereas trading Luongo will free up $5.3M.
This comes down to what is best for the team and clearly, plugging the holes in the D or the top 6 is in the best interests of the team moving forward....it is a business decision.
This team has to get better because going to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and being overpowered by a bigger, grittier talented team is not going to cut it. A first round exit to LA this year will not cut it. The goal is to win the Cup and to do that you have to be the best which clearly this team, as is , is not.

Edited by bluesman60, 14 June 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#28 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

The problem with Luongo while numbers don't show it, every year Luongo is getting worst and worst. There is no doubt that Luongo has had playoff melt down in the past. Even this year game 2 against the Kings he didn't give the Canucks the save that the team needed. In comes Schnieder and he plays very well considering 2 out of the 3 were in LA.

Luongo is a good goalie no doubt 30 plus wins in the past 8 years or somehing states that but fact is that Luongo can't handle the pressure of the Canadian market where every action and moved will be talked about. Luongo has done a lot of good for the team by making the Canucks a good place to come for Free Agents. But with that being said what will people mostly remember about the cup finals against Boston the fact he has 2 shuts out or in 3 games he had 18 plus goals against him?

The right thing to do for both sides is to have Luongo traded. Canucks can get some real good value out of Luongo and Luongo has a chance to start over. I credict both goalies for being so mature and not acting bigger than the team, Luongo could have easily became a cancer once he lost his job during the playoffs. And for Cory Schnieder got to give the kid credict for having patience for waiting this long, he could have asked for a traded 3 seasons ago.

#29 Nucks4dacup

Nucks4dacup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

The fact is that, fans in Vancouver are always blaming the goalie (Luongo) on almost every loss. If we lose, it's the goalie's fault, if we win, the goalie had nothing to do with it. (majority of the time)....

People in Vancouver think that Schnieder is our saviour, he'll take us to the finals and win us a cup. I can almost gaurantee, that there will be a time soon enough that people are gonna say, "Man, if we had luongo, he could have won us that game... etc, etc."....

We all know that luongo is a proven starter and has been for the past 12 years and will be for the next 5-6 years (hopefully). I agree, losing luongo is gonna be a very big loss. Luongo has proven to carry the team at times when all other doors are closed shut. That two month stretch when the team wasn't doing jack all, it was luongo that carried the canucks with that brilliant record the canucks had.

Don't get me wrong here... Im a huge luongo fan, straight up, but I also support schnieder cuz he is one hell of a goalie.
Schnieder is built of athleticism just like quick, whereas, luongo plays off his size and plays big. Honestly, I believe Schnieds ever-ready... the only thing I want him to prove is, could he hold the load of starting 60+ games. That's all i'm concerned about.

Whatever decision gillis makes, I'll be really happy with it knowing that either goalie is a solid one!

Don't hate on my opinion but just thought i'd state it anyways!

I'm really excited to see what's gonna happen...

Nonetheless, Go Canucks Go!

#30 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?
I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.
Just my observation

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.