The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

timmylu1

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, but in less detail. Luongo > Schneider, if you want to argue me about it than go ahead but I'm not going to listen to idiots who think he lost us the Cup and think he's a "choke artist" like the article points out.

Vancouver losing Luongo would be the worst move this franchise makes after everything he has done for us, but also what he is on the cusp of doing for this city.

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, but in less detail. Luongo > Schneider, if you want to argue me about it than go ahead but I'm not going to listen to idiots who think he lost us the Cup and think he's a "choke artist" like the article points out.

Vancouver losing Luongo would be the worst move this franchise makes after everything he has done for us, but also what he is on the cusp of doing for this city.

What do you think he is on the cusp of doing exactly? I dont think it's winning the Stanley cup, which is the only thing that matters anymore. Yes, Luongo has helped this team along greatly over the past number of years but he's proven that the playoffs do not agree with him. Three straight years of meltdowns against Chicago and Boston are a testament to that.

What do you think he is on the cusp of doing exactly? I dont think it's winning the Stanley cup, which is the only thing that matters anymore. Yes, Luongo has helped this team along greatly over the past number of years but he's proven that the playoffs do not agree with him. Three straight years of meltdowns against Chicago and Boston are a testament to that.

Well let me ask you this: would you rather have great goalies like Ron Hextall or Curtis Joseph in net for you, or Chris Osgood?

My point is obvious... stats on paper do not matter, clutch playoff performances do ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Brodeur, Roy etc. I think it is time for some Canuck fans to take their blinders off (along with their "I'm a true Canuck fan because I stick behind Roberto!") and realize that he is not a clutch performer, hasn't been since he ever stepped foot in a big game crease, and possibly never will be. Schneider is simply a younger, faster, more athletic and level headed goalie. It is time for Nuck Nation to move on from the roller coaster that is Roberto Luongo... unfortunately might I add.

Well let me ask you this: would you rather have great goalies like Ron Hextall or Curtis Joseph in net for you, or Chris Osgood?

My point is obvious... stats on paper do not matter, clutch playoff performances do ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Brodeur, Roy etc. I think it is time for some Canuck fans to take their blinders off (along with their "I'm a true Canuck fan because I stick behind Roberto!") and realize that he is not a clutch performer, hasn't been since he ever stepped foot in a big game crease, and possibly never will be. Schneider is simply a younger, faster, more athletic and level headed goalie. It is time for Nuck Nation to move on from the roller coaster that is Roberto Luongo... unfortunately might I add.

It's hard for everybody when we were one win away from winning the cup, but let's not forget it's harder on Luongo for not winning it because he was the one working hard night in, night out on the ice. He knows what it takes to win the cup better than any of us. Cory got 3 chances and he could not save us from LA either. Hockey is a team game. Stop pointing fingers at the goalie.

In the end, it comes down to future. Honestly, Schneider is younger and will be a great goalie. Saying that Schneider is unproven because he hasn't played a full season is like saying Luongo is a choke artist because he lost in game 7 of the finals.

They are both great goalies, but it makes sense financially and for the future of the team to go with the guy we drafted first round as a high school student and developed throughout college and the AHL. Luongo will continue to be a great goalie somewhere else, but to say he's the rightful goalie is to dismiss all the arguments in favor of Schneider.

It's hard for everybody when we were one win away from winning the cup, but let's not forget it's harder on Luongo for not winning it because he was the one working hard night in, night out on the ice. He knows what it takes to win the cup better than any of us. Cory got 3 chances and he could not save us from LA either. Hockey is a team game. Stop pointing fingers at the goalie.

You don't know that for a fact if Losing Luongo would be the worst thing now do you? Like I said before not many Goaltenders can play into their 40's like Brodeur. But guys like you make excuses as to why Schnieder won't get us there either. Not proven, Not enough experience , or whatever you said in the past but Goaltenders like Roy, Dryden, and Broduer have proven in their first year if given the opportunity can lead you to the conference finals or even winning the cup with only a half season or less under their belts. Again I can make the same arguments too.

Can we make those same statements 6 years ago DownUnda that we put our faith on a goaltender in Luongo who hasn't played on a winning team or even a sniff of the playoffs before coming here? Wasn't that a gamble 6 years ago when we still had Cloutier under Contract with us? At least Dan had playoff experience. Wasn't Dan called a choke artist too?

Montreal took a gamble on Dryden with 6 games under his belt ,and he took them to the cup. Broduer and Roy only had 47 under their belt with NJ and Montreal respectively and they took them deep into the playoffs. So what are you going to say to us if your wrong about Schnieder? Don't get me wrong here. I do understand what your saying. But to say it would be a mistake without giving Cory a chance to see how he handles things is a little prematured!

But overall I know its a team game. Not one player can lead us to the cup nor one player losses it for the team.

Archived