The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

timmylu1

Sounds like you're a little scared of change down unda.

Yes, it is risky going with the "unproven" Schneider.... But have you watched this kid play?!?

In every big game he has played he has excelled, he played 3 playoff games this year and managed to have fantastic #'s despite losing 2 of them, not to mention the stellar game he played against Boston earlier in the season.

I don't blame Lu for our playoff failures, but watching Cory play I think he is the real deal, and if we traded him now after developing him for 8 years ( has the kid not earned a shot? ) we would be kicking ourselves as we watched yet another former Canuck raise the cup, maybe not next year, but soon.

BUT,

If MG pulls off a blockbuster trade and Schneider is involved... I would not be worried at all going forward with Lu, I believe he is capable of winning a cup.

Yes Luongo has contributed to Vancouver going from being a bad team to being a contender but sooner or later change is necessary for the team to grow.

Luongo isn't any different than any other player who gets traded, you do what you can to improve the team. Schneider has proven that he is a solid goalie, is younger, faster and ready for to take over the reigns.

Vancouver has some holes that need to be plugged (top 4 D and a top 6 forward) and trading Luongo can help get one of those players and a pick to restock the farm team. Yes it is a gamble but it is a calculated gamble because of what Schneider has shown us....he can play.

If you want a top 4 D or a top 6 forward, you need to have cap space and trading Schneider will only free up $900K whereas trading Luongo will free up $5.3M.

This comes down to what is best for the team and clearly, plugging the holes in the D or the top 6 is in the best interests of the team moving forward....it is a business decision.

This team has to get better because going to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and being overpowered by a bigger, grittier talented team is not going to cut it. A first round exit to LA this year will not cut it. The goal is to win the Cup and to do that you have to be the best which clearly this team, as is , is not.

The problem with Luongo while numbers don't show it, every year Luongo is getting worst and worst. There is no doubt that Luongo has had playoff melt down in the past. Even this year game 2 against the Kings he didn't give the Canucks the save that the team needed. In comes Schnieder and he plays very well considering 2 out of the 3 were in LA.

Luongo is a good goalie no doubt 30 plus wins in the past 8 years or somehing states that but fact is that Luongo can't handle the pressure of the Canadian market where every action and moved will be talked about. Luongo has done a lot of good for the team by making the Canucks a good place to come for Free Agents. But with that being said what will people mostly remember about the cup finals against Boston the fact he has 2 shuts out or in 3 games he had 18 plus goals against him?

The right thing to do for both sides is to have Luongo traded. Canucks can get some real good value out of Luongo and Luongo has a chance to start over. I credict both goalies for being so mature and not acting bigger than the team, Luongo could have easily became a cancer once he lost his job during the playoffs. And for Cory Schnieder got to give the kid credict for having patience for waiting this long, he could have asked for a traded 3 seasons ago.

The fact is that, fans in Vancouver are always blaming the goalie (Luongo) on almost every loss. If we lose, it's the goalie's fault, if we win, the goalie had nothing to do with it. (majority of the time)....

People in Vancouver think that Schnieder is our saviour, he'll take us to the finals and win us a cup. I can almost gaurantee, that there will be a time soon enough that people are gonna say, "Man, if we had luongo, he could have won us that game... etc, etc."....

We all know that luongo is a proven starter and has been for the past 12 years and will be for the next 5-6 years (hopefully). I agree, losing luongo is gonna be a very big loss. Luongo has proven to carry the team at times when all other doors are closed shut. That two month stretch when the team wasn't doing jack all, it was luongo that carried the canucks with that brilliant record the canucks had.

Don't get me wrong here... Im a huge luongo fan, straight up, but I also support schnieder cuz he is one hell of a goalie.

Schnieder is built of athleticism just like quick, whereas, luongo plays off his size and plays big. Honestly, I believe Schnieds ever-ready... the only thing I want him to prove is, could he hold the load of starting 60+ games. That's all i'm concerned about.

Whatever decision gillis makes, I'll be really happy with it knowing that either goalie is a solid one!

Don't hate on my opinion but just thought i'd state it anyways!

I'm really excited to see what's gonna happen...

Nonetheless, Go Canucks Go!

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?

I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.

Just my observation

The problem with Luongo while numbers don't show it, every year Luongo is getting worst and worst. There is no doubt that Luongo has had playoff melt down in the past. Even this year game 2 against the Kings he didn't give the Canucks the save that the team needed. In comes Schnieder and he plays very well considering 2 out of the 3 were in LA.

Luongo is a good goalie no doubt 30 plus wins in the past 8 years or somehing states that but fact is that Luongo can't handle the pressure of the Canadian market where every action and moved will be talked about. Luongo has done a lot of good for the team by making the Canucks a good place to come for Free Agents. But with that being said what will people mostly remember about the cup finals against Boston the fact he has 2 shuts out or in 3 games he had 18 plus goals against him?

The right thing to do for both sides is to have Luongo traded. Canucks can get some real good value out of Luongo and Luongo has a chance to start over. I credict both goalies for being so mature and not acting bigger than the team, Luongo could have easily became a cancer once he lost his job during the playoffs. And for Cory Schnieder got to give the kid credict for having patience for waiting this long, he could have asked for a traded 3 seasons ago.

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?

I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.

Just my observation

I am fine with either goalie as long as the defense is tooled to acommidate the respective starter.

If Lou stays, I feel a more defensively minded team is necessary. A defense that doesn't pinch so much and forwards that are more reliable with their defensive assignments.

I feel Schneider allows for more free wheeling. He is more athletic than Lou and can be counted on to make the big save more often.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

He won Olympic Gold on Canadian Ice in front of his home crowd... He didn't choke then... what makes you say he can't handle pressure... lay off dude. Making that save if I remember correctly, off parise when neidermeyer coughed up the puck... that was huge! if luongo let it in, we would have had silver!

WOW!

I don't really care which goalie we keep, so long as we wait until we actually get a decent offer before we make a deal. I would be ticked if we just sent out one of them for the best offer available this summer and got the short end of the stick. I would be perfectly fine if we keep them both another season if it means we can get a better deal.

This is why I won't bother with you. Luongo didn't melt down - the team melted down. Sure, he let in some bad goals and lost us a couple of games in each of those series, but Luongo won us his fair share single-handedly as a goalie. The rest of the team didn't come up big when they had to. Just look at Game 7 against Chicago - our team was disgusting in front of him, let up 30+ shots of great quality including a disgusting effort on our powerplay to let Toews get a shot away and tie the game with sloppy defence. If we had lost that game and Luongo didn't make those saves, the Canucks would have not only missed out on the SCF at all, but would have been the focal embarassment of the history of the NHL. Not many teams lose 3-0 up, let alone the Presidents trophy winners against the 8th seed, let alone being bounced by the same time 3 seasons in a row. That would have put us in the record books for all the wrong reasons and we would have seen an overhaul in Vancouver from top to bottom. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise's dignity and name and got us to the final game of the season. Don't even mention Boston - our forwards scored 8 goals, Luongo single-handedly stole us 2 wins we didn't deserve and the other 18 skaters could only really get us 1.

Well let me ask you this: would you rather have great goalies like Ron Hextall or Curtis Joseph in net for you, or Chris Osgood?

My point is obvious... stats on paper do not matter, clutch playoff performances do ie. Quick, Thomas, Ward, Brodeur, Roy etc. I think it is time for some Canuck fans to take their blinders off (along with their "I'm a true Canuck fan because I stick behind Roberto!") and realize that he is not a clutch performer, hasn't been since he ever stepped foot in a big game crease, and possibly never will be. Schneider is simply a younger, faster, more athletic and level headed goalie. It is time for Nuck Nation to move on from the roller coaster that is Roberto Luongo... unfortunately might I add.

It's hard for everybody when we were one win away from winning the cup, but let's not forget it's harder on Luongo for not winning it because he was the one working hard night in, night out on the ice. He knows what it takes to win the cup better than any of us. Cory got 3 chances and he could not save us from LA either. Hockey is a team game. Stop pointing fingers at the goalie.

Archived