The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal]Alternatives to Pahlsson

Assuming Pahlsson is not retained, here are a few options:

Sign UFA Dominic Moore: He struggled in SJ, but that was due to a personal situation that he may or may not recover from soon. He was great as TB's defensive center during their 3-round run recently.

Offer-sheet Mikael Backlund: Calgary has come out and said they don't want to be a cap team. While that means Jokinen is gone, who's to say they can match a decent offer for Backlund? While his offensive potential may not be realized in Calgary, he's quietly becoming a fairly effective 2-way center, even as a snot-nosed kid.

Trade for Goc: If Luongo is going to Florida, then the Canucks should make sure Goc is one guy who's coming back. He is a fairly effective and affordable defensive center now. He'll join UFA's Garrison and possibly Samuelsson as guys who could be Canucks (again).

Trade for Nielsen, Dubinsky, J. Staal or Sutter. Doubt if any of them will be made available for what we'll give up though.

Olli Jokinen: Lol. Yes, Olli Jokinen. Unlikely that he'll be affordable, but if we clear cap space, we'll find that this guy's overall game has improved quite a bit recently.

Potential replacements to avoid:

McClement: There's a reason why St. Louis dumped him and then improved dramatically in the standings. There's a reason why Colorado is letting him walk.

Stoll: He'll want too much for what he brings and this run with LA will be his peak.

Moen: Not a center, but we should avoid him at all costs. Not good anymore and banged-up.

Gaustad: Again, there's a reason why Buffalo gave him up and why they improved quite a bit after giving him up. Cheers.

TOML

About Garrison, just how his numbers were positively effected (ie. inflated) by being paired with Campbell and being put out there with Florida's top-notch qualteam needs to be determined before a team gives him too much money. Esp. when Tanev might be ready to become a top-4.

TOML

About Garrison, just how his numbers were positively effected (ie. inflated) by being paired with Campbell and being put out there with Florida's top-notch qualteam needs to be determined before a team gives him too much money. Esp. when Tanev might be

ready to become a top-4.

TOML

Moore is definitely not playing in Vancouver.

Calgary would match anything reasonable for one of their only good young players.

Jokinen is going to command far too much money. Also, when he was traded to Phoenix, Gillis told the media they didn't pursue him because of 'character issues'. I don't see either side eager to begin negotiations.

With the lack of UFA center talent, Nielsen, Dubinsky, J. Staal and Sutter are going to be either not available, or insanely expensive. (Although I have nothing against Kassian, imagine what we could land for Hodgson this offseason?)

Q: So what are you saying?

A: A whole lot of nothing.

Cheers,

D-M

/\

Sorry, couldn't pass up the opportunity. :D

One option that seems to get overlooked is Torrey Mitchell, who is in the UFA pool. Solid, fast, some grit.

San Jose probably wants to re-sign him, but that's a 2-way street. He's been stuck behind Thornton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski/etc for a while now, so even when he's been playing well enough for some top-6 icetime, it never happens. He probably isn't eager to get stuck behind them for another contract. Sharks would probably jump at the chance to dump Marleau, but his NTC could get in the way.

Considering the trades for Ehrhoff and Booth, I'm inclined to think almost anything is possible in terms of the acquisition of players. lol

I like the idea of Goc or Moore. As far as Moore goes, I think the only person who can truely answer if he would be willing to come to Vancouver is himself. To say Moore playing or not playing in Vancouver to be a "definate" thing would be a little premature. If I were Moore, I'd be against Bertuzzi more than I would the Canucks organization. Especially since the entire organization has changed since the incident.

Considering the trades for Ehrhoff and Booth, I'm inclined to think almost anything is possible in terms of the acquisition of players. lol

I like the idea of Goc or Moore. As far as Moore goes, I think the only person who can truely answer if he would be willing to come to Vancouver is himself. To say Moore playing or not playing in Vancouver to be a "definate" thing would be a little premature. If I were Moore, I'd be against Bertuzzi more than I would the Canucks organization. Especially since the entire organization has changed since the incident.

Even if he doesn't have anything against the city, team, or organization, it still won't happen. Why would he choose to walk into that media s***storm?

And then there is the other side of it. We think of the Bertuzzi-Moore thing as water under the bridge, but it's not. His brother is still going to court, and suing the team. Why would Gillis choose to draw more attention to that sideshow?

In the last two, Torrey Mitchell has produced equivalent to Goc (and more than Pahlsson), considering his ice time and opportunities (playing behind Thornton-Couture-Marleau-Pavelski):

Torrey Mitchell

2010-11 - 66GP, 9G, 14A, 23Pts, +10 -- 13:20 TOI/G, 0:08 PP

2011-12 - 76GP, 9G, 10A, 19Pts, -6 -- 12:26 TOI/G, 0:37 PP

Marcel Goc

2010-11 - 51GP, 9G, 15A, 24Pts, +10 -- 16:02 TOI/G, 1:01 PP

2011-12 - 57GP, 11G, 16A, 27Pts, +5 -- 17:37 TOI/G, 1:14 PP  

Sammy Paulsson  

2010-11 - 82GP, 7G, 13A, 20Pts, -13 -- 15:20 TOI/G, 0:04 PP

2011-12 - 80GP, 4G, 13A, 17Pts, -2 -- 14:46 TOI/G, 0:06 PP

Plus, Mitchell is a year-and-a-half younger than Goc.

TOI kinda indicates why Goc and Pahlsson are more valueable than Mitchell. Not only can they play more minutes per game, period, but Pahlsson had some of the toughest icetime in the entire league when he was acquired was Goc was up there as well this season. Mitchell? Not so much.

Still, i wouldn't avoid Mitchell entirely, but i wouldn't label him as anything special. He doesn't have a lot of skill and that's why the Sharks will probably part ways with him. A fully recovered Malhotra (fingers-crossed) is just as good, if not better, and Pahlsson at this point is better. Goc likely won't be made available so it's moot comparing to him, although he is better as well.

btw. If Mitchell was as good as you believe, then San Jose would not have had to acquire Winnik, Moore and Galiardi. Cheers.

TOML

Further, while you're looking at offensive comparisons, i'm looking at defense. If we're finding a replacement for Pahlsson, the team has to decide what direction to take in that regard. Lately, it's been towards defense. The guy will have to play some tough minutes.

TOML

Mike Fisher is a darkhorse candidate for trade. I know he's a big part of the business operations for Nashville with the Underwood/Fisher marriage but he's 32, has one year left on his contract and we've got a guy named Keith Ballard who could be the perfect replacement for Suter on the top pairing.

Archived