The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pure Ecstasy Should be Legal - BC Health Chief Says

JustJokinen!

I find it funny how people criticize others for doings drugs, when a lot of them drink....Alcohol is a drug. It is not magic, and pixies that are making you tipsy.

I don't drink or do drugs, but far be it for me to criticize what other people do in their lives. As long as they are not harming anyone else (IE being intoxicated and driving, etc, etc) so do as you please.

I find it funny how people criticize others for doings drugs, when a lot of them drink....Alcohol is a drug. It is not magic, and pixies that are making you tipsy.

I don't drink or do drugs, but far be it for me to criticize what other people do in their lives. As long as they are not harming anyone else (IE being intoxicated and driving, etc, etc) so do as you please.

I don't understand why anyone is against legalization of various drugs. If the people doing these substances don't hurt anyone and do it in the comfort of their own home, who cares? I sure don't. Besides, Alcohol's monetary effect on our healthcare is astronomical compared to every other drug yet it's still legal?

Taken from the National Institute of Health:

A new study released today by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), estimates that the economic cost of alcohol and drug abuse was $246 billion in 1992, the most recent year for which sufficient data were available. This estimate represents $965 for every man, woman, and child living in the United States in 1992. The new study reports that alcohol abuse and alcoholism generated about 60 percent of the estimated costs ($148 billion), while drug abuse and dependence accounted for the remaining 40 percent ($98 billion).

He never said that (he is now saying)

Dr. Perry Kendall stands behind his controversial comments that taking pure ecstasy can be safe.

But B.C.’s chief provincial health officer says he is not advocating for the drug to be legalized and sold in stores, as stated in a previous story.

“I was asked a hypothetical question, which was that if those drugs were to be legalized, what would be the best way of doing it,” he said in an interview Thursday.

Kendall says Canada should instead look at an “evidence-based way” of regulating and controlling psychoactive substances.

“Let’s look at what works and what doesn’t work. Let’s look at what harms of various drugs are and compare them. And let’s look at the impacts of the policies on a drug use,” he said.

“We should be looking at a regulatory regime that is more evidence-based than the current one and decide as a society how we want to control these drugs, given that the current control is not optimal, in my opinion.”

Archived