Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Pure Ecstasy Should be Legal - BC Health Chief Says

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

I don't understand why anyone is against legalization of various drugs. If the people doing these substances don't hurt anyone and do it in the comfort of their own home, who cares? I sure don't. Besides, Alcohol's monetary effect on our healthcare is astronomical compared to every other drug yet it's still legal?

Taken from the National Institute of Health:

A new study released today by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), estimates that the economic cost of alcohol and drug abuse was $246 billion in 1992, the most recent year for which sufficient data were available. This estimate represents $965 for every man, woman, and child living in the United States in 1992. The new study reports that alcohol abuse and alcoholism generated about 60 percent of the estimated costs ($148 billion), while drug abuse and dependence accounted for the remaining 40 percent ($98 billion).

So all drugs excluding alcohol is 40% of the total cost for society... so 1 drug vs many and alcohol (60% of cost) is still worse.

http://www.nih.gov/n...y98/nida-13.htm

Edited by hyZar, 14 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#32 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

He never said that (he is now saying)

Dr. Perry Kendall stands behind his controversial comments that taking pure ecstasy can be safe.

But B.C.’s chief provincial health officer says he is not advocating for the drug to be legalized and sold in stores, as stated in a previous story.

“I was asked a hypothetical question, which was that if those drugs were to be legalized, what would be the best way of doing it,” he said in an interview Thursday.

Kendall says Canada should instead look at an “evidence-based way” of regulating and controlling psychoactive substances.

“Let’s look at what works and what doesn’t work. Let’s look at what harms of various drugs are and compare them. And let’s look at the impacts of the policies on a drug use,” he said.

“We should be looking at a regulatory regime that is more evidence-based than the current one and decide as a society how we want to control these drugs, given that the current control is not optimal, in my opinion.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1211153--pure-ecstasy-can-be-safe-for-adults-should-be-regulated-and-sold-in-stores-b-c-health-officer
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#33 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

The way in which people buy the drugs, unknowingly cut with many chemicals, is alot more dangerous than the actual drug.

Wrong. Look up any drunk-driving statistics.

edit: I just found this with a simple google search. http://www.independe...ms-2122029.html

Not the fault of alcohol that someone drives drunk, its the fault of the drinker. Try again. I've seen the studies, I just think they're not meaningful or logical.

#34 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

If you think drugs are the best way to party, then you don't know how to party.

I didn't say that. I just didn't enjoy the judgement from that poster.

#35 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Make the manufacturing, distribution and/or sale of narcotics punishable by death.

Convicted drug dealers get their wealth confiscated and utilized for the treatment and rehabilitation of drug addicts.

The death penalty has never decreased any form of crime rate as far as I know.

#36 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

The death penalty has never decreased any form of crime rate as far as I know.

A major part of the problem is the corruption that exists within law enforcement, government and judicial systems.

Increasing or decreasing crime rates are also bound by numerous external factors (socioeconomic, cultural, moral, conscience etc) and are not simply relative to the punishment. For certain crimes, the reward is just so large that it blinds or hinders the concerns of the risks and ramifications (not to mention that the enormous profits allow large budgets to be allocated towards countering law enforcement efforts).

I will agree that the punishment should serve as a deterrent; however the primary purpose of the punishment is to punish.

A given society or elements of a given society not being deterred by the most severe punishment imaginable is more a reflection on the given society than it is on the punishment itself.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.