The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC and the Canucks

canucklesmith

I just thought this was an interesting blurb from Bruce Dowbiggin in the the Globe and Mail regarding what the executives from CBC value.

Leafs Uber Alles:

Meanwhile, over at the people’s network, we got another reminder of what really matters at CBC. The executive vice president for English Services, Kirstine Stewart, turned to Twitter in the moments after the Kings’ win to scratch her blue-and-white itch.

@KStewartCBC You know, if #LAKings can do it after 45 years.... #Leafs2013? #HNIC ”What about Canadian fans waiting for a Cup in Vancouver (since 1915), Ottawa (since 1927) and Winnipeg (since 1902)? Apparently you can go fish at the big house on Front Street.

Not surprising, considering everyone form the CBC and "Hockey Night in Canada" are from Toronto.

It doesn't surprise me that people who don't necessarily have a deep understanding of the game would seek to equate the Kings and the Leafs. After all, LA was the 8th seed in the West, while the Leafs were only "a few" spots away from that in the East.

What they fail to realize is that the Kings underacheived during the regular season and were far more talented than a normal 8th seed. (epsecially after adding Carter)

The reality (even though people in TO might not be aware) is that The Leafs are nowhere close to being the caliber of team that the Kings are.

This is an example of someone who might be a Leafs fan, but isn't necessarily a hockey fan. The major difference between the Kings and the Leafs is that the Kings are actually a good hockey team.

The droughts have no effect on current events. The Leafs have been improving lately, but they still don't compare to the Kings' core of Kopitar, Doughty, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Brown, and Quick. The Kings were expected to be a contender at the beginning of the regular season, and that was even before they picked up Carter.

Vancouver Canucks existed from 1970. I know the Vancouver Millionares (is that what they were called?) did win it in 1915, but that was obviously a completely different organisation.

And the fact about Winnipeg is also quite funny since they have just got a team again after 10 years or so of not having one. While you are at it, why don't Seattle have a Stanley Cup yet?

Vancouver Canucks existed from 1970. I know the Vancouver Millionares (is that what they were called?) did win it in 1915, but that was obviously a completely different organisation.

And the fact about Winnipeg is also quite funny since they have just got a team again after 10 years or so of not having one. While you are at it, why don't Seattle have a Stanley Cup yet?

Seattle is actually the first US city to win a Stanley Cup in 1917. Frank and Lester Patrick (great players themselves, and builders) started a pro circuit called the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. The Vancouver Millionaires won in 1915 (Cyclone Taylor is the guy in my Avatar pic one of the players, the one they named the hockey shop after). The Seattle Metropolitans who won in 1917, played the Montreal Canadiens in 1919 and it was the only time the Stanley Cup series was cancelled. This was due to a flu epidemic and neither team was awarded the cup.

http://en.wikipedia....e_Metropolitans

The CBC has too many people like McLean who seem to have a sense of entitlement, and arrogance about them. Honestly CBC was right to dimiss McLean a few years ago. It's too bad too many morons in Ontario screamed bloody blue murder and got him re-hired. As much as I'd like to see the CBC do well and see if we can get a positive return on our tax dollars. The folks at the CBC are idiots. I mean who hired Mark Lee? He is brutal in play by play. I've heard AHL and CHL broadcasts that have better play by plays.

If the CBC isn't careful they will lose HNIC. If they do (And I had an uncle who sold airtime for the CBC), might as well shut down the network right there, because it's the biggest cash cow the network has, and the only thing that's keeping it afloat.

Archived