The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

Posted · Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given

Uninformed.. ok cool go tell that to AV. There is a reason they played Schneider after game 2. You don't know sh*t about hockey and you think your informed my a**. Heres a tip get out of your basement for once and get some sunshine little boy, and when your psychiatrist offers you a drug to help you think like a adult don't decline. Your lame attempt of changing vocabs around is seriously weak and childish. "Canuck-a-nuk is Canuck-a-suck ahahaha funny eh, so cool". I'm matching your level of humour, immature tw*t.

Luongo to Florida in a deal that includes Bjugstad and Petrovic.

Take a shot at signing Shane Doan on July 1st.

Sign one of the many UFA blueliners available this summer (Garrison, Allen, Kuba, Schultz, Gill, Aucoin to name a few guys out there this summer... a number of options), and re-sign Sami Salo.

Bring back Pahlsson.

Keep Schneider and add to our young pool of prospects.

The Canucks blueline is better than most people on CDC are giving them credit for.

KSwiper is really angry. I think someone must have hurt his feewings.

So you took my message to you and basically relayed back to me.........that's really creative.

Basement? Sunshine? Who writes your material Swiper? I really hope your not paying them much.

Untimely goal with 19.3 seconds left in regulation to lose the game 1-0. That was a tap in for Torres and if Thomas didn't overplay the shot, he would have had time to get across and make the save.

Do you honestly want to tell me that is not an easy goal? Thomas is out flopping by the faceoff circle like a fish while Burrows hooks it into an open net. Pretty untimely, too - in OT.

Again, another easy goal. Lapierre left all alone by the defence, and Thomas can't bail them out.

The 3 times Thomas made a mistake, Canucks scored their winning goals. For 2 of those 3 times, Luongo had to be perfect to win the game - which he was.

Luongo was clearly outplayed by Thomas - I won't deny that. Thomas's performance last year was unreal, and no goaltender could have matched that. There is no shame coming in 2nd to the best in the game at the time.

Each year, only one team can have the best goaltender in the game. With neither Luongo nor Schneider, we won't have the best goaltender in the game. That means we need to build a solid group of forwards and defensemen that is better than any others' in the league, to overcome that. When the team is better than the other, that's when champions are born.

Thomas was the best goaltender, but he was also merely a part which made Boston the best team. Luongo was not as good as Thomas, and he was part of a team that was lesser than Boston. We as a group were not good enough. Luongo stole us 2 games to get us to game 7 - any time a goaltender wins 1-0, I think he's entitled to that statement. However, the team lost in 7 games to the better team.

Get over it. Luongo is not the problem. With Schneider, we would not have made any further. Many people say we wouldn't have gotten blown out by Boston if it was Schneider in for games 3,4,6 and 7. But I think of it differently: would Schneider have won games 1 and 5 with the score of 1-0 ?

I doubt it. And if he doesn't get those two wins, Vancouver as a team does not even make it to game 7. Face it - like it or not, Luongo does have the pedigree and the experience of having won big games. He's not proven to win a Cup, but he's been to the brink. He has an Olympic Gold with all the pressure of being the host team.

Regarding the choosing of Luongo or Schneider - I don't think neither Schneider nor Luongo are going to be the best in the game in any season. There will always be a superior goaltender to either of them that we will have to face. Also, Luongo is still an elite goaltender who isn't too far behind (if at all) Schneider (arguably better, says most). Then, doesn't it make sense to ride Luongo, who has the experience, out to the sunset and build a team that is solid around him?

I think the 3 games in the playoffs showcased Schneider enough to teams that he could be a legit starter somewhere and boosted his value. I hope we sign then trade Schneider for a great return which solidifies our scoring or our defence (preferrably defence) to build a team around Luongo who has grew with us since 2006-2007 when we were a terrible team.

"Sign one of the many UFA blueliners available this summer (Garrison, Allen, Kuba, Schultz, Gill, Aucoin to name a few guys out there this summer... a number of options), and re-sign Sami Salo."

Petrovic - the type of young prospect that fits the bill very well - right handed, big, mean, heavy shot, hits, two-way hockey sense.

I agree with you, of course goals are let in by defense. It's not like the defense just lets the opponents walk in. But the good goalies make key saves in these situations to give the team a chance to win.

This thread is basically saying teams are eliminated because they faced a better team, goals are scored because of the forward. Why state the obvious is my question to? What Luongo lacks is that important save during the playoffs to keep the team from going down 3-0 etc.

Untimely goal with 19.3 seconds left in regulation to lose the game 1-0. That was a tap in for Torres and if Thomas didn't overplay the shot, he would have had time to get across and make the save.

Do you honestly want to tell me that is not an easy goal? Thomas is out flopping by the faceoff circle like a fish while Burrows hooks it into an open net. Pretty untimely, too - in OT.

Again, another easy goal. Lapierre left all alone by the defence, and Thomas can't bail them out.

The 3 times Thomas made a mistake, Canucks scored their winning goals. For 2 of those 3 times, Luongo had to be perfect to win the game - which he was.

Luongo was clearly outplayed by Thomas - I won't deny that. Thomas's performance last year was unreal, and no goaltender could have matched that. There is no shame coming in 2nd to the best in the game at the time.

Each year, only one team can have the best goaltender in the game. With neither Luongo nor Schneider, we won't have the best goaltender in the game. That means we need to build a solid group of forwards and defensemen that is better than any others' in the league, to overcome that. When the team is better than the other, that's when champions are born.

Thomas was the best goaltender, but he was also merely a part which made Boston the best team. Luongo was not as good as Thomas, and he was part of a team that was lesser than Boston. We as a group were not good enough. Luongo stole us 2 games to get us to game 7 - any time a goaltender wins 1-0, I think he's entitled to that statement. However, the team lost in 7 games to the better team.

Get over it. Luongo is not the problem. With Schneider, we would not have made any further. Many people say we wouldn't have gotten blown out by Boston if it was Schneider in for games 3,4,6 and 7. But I think of it differently: would Schneider have won games 1 and 5 with the score of 1-0 ?

I doubt it. And if he doesn't get those two wins, Vancouver as a team does not even make it to game 7. Face it - like it or not, Luongo does have the pedigree and the experience of having won big games. He's not proven to win a Cup, but he's been to the brink. He has an Olympic Gold with all the pressure of being the host team.

Regarding the choosing of Luongo or Schneider - I don't think neither Schneider nor Luongo are going to be the best in the game in any season. There will always be a superior goaltender to either of them that we will have to face. Also, Luongo is still an elite goaltender who isn't too far behind (if at all) Schneider (arguably better, says most). Then, doesn't it make sense to ride Luongo, who has the experience, out to the sunset and build a team that is solid around him?

I think the 3 games in the playoffs showcased Schneider enough to teams that he could be a legit starter somewhere and boosted his value. I hope we sign then trade Schneider for a great return which solidifies our scoring or our defence (preferrably defence) to build a team around Luongo who has grew with us since 2006-2007 when we were a terrible team.

Maybe Schneider has better numbers because psychologically, the players have more confidence in Luongo. Hear me out - with Luongo in goal, the defense has that mindset that they can take a few more chances, of course high-risk, high-reward, and with risk, there is the chance that the risk does not pan out.

I fully agree that the defense plays better with Schneider in goal, but that's not as much hanging Luongo out to dry as it is that they feel he will make that save when needed. Reputations do that sometimes.

He does at times, yes, but I know people are really riding his ass because of the finals and against the Kings this year. Fact of the matter is the team in front of both goalies could not provide the offense when needed in the first place so it means jack in terms of who is in net.

Just look at the games in Vancouver against the Bruins; Luongo stood on his head and that was barely enough to squeeze out three victories. In Boston? He went the entire first period before allowing a single goal and the team still couldn't muster anything offensively. Game four? He went half the game with only one goal against the our offense still managed to tally a whopping zero goals. See the problem here? It's not him, it's the team as a whole. And eventually the flood gates open and AV should have pulled Luongo in the first place after a few goals against regardless if they were his fault or not. People need to start dishing the hate out to AV as well because he has the ultimate say.

Kings series? 7GA for Luongo. He sucked statistically; Schneider? 1.33 GAA; we still lose.

Fact of the matter is IN THE LAST TWO SERIES this team has averaged 1.33 goals for.

Case in point: with the way the offense has been producing in the playoffs recently, Schneider or Luongo HAS to post a shutout for the Canucks to win. One goal against worst case scenario.

Why the hell is this the goalies fault, exactly? Especially Luongo's?

all goalies in the nhl are the best in the world thats why they are in the NHL , that said for NHL standards a great goalie is a goalie who can bail his team out and performs at his highest level no matter what the team infront of him is doing , a bad goalie is a goalie who lets in softies when his team is dominating the game and just needs an average save or two, average goalies and this is where luongo falls in is a goalie that is only as good as the team infront of him , 15th in the league for GGA at 2.41 and 12th in S% .919 right in the middle of the pack for goalies otherwise known as average for a NHL goalie , when he came to the canucks analysts said he was a top 3 goalie and canuck fans said he was the best in the world then the next season he was a top 5 goalie by analysts then it was top 10 now its hard to say if hes even top 10 there were points of the season canucks were winning games with luongo in net letting in 3 or 4 goals a game he was playing for the first place team and goalies that were not in a playoff spot actually had better numbers than him . if luongo was to be the starter in pheonix ,LA, or nashville last year none of thoes teams wouldve made the playoffs .

Posted · Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given

Ya sure this thread is a joke. How can you blame the defense for everything? How bout Lu in shooutouts? Is that the canucks players taking the shootouts fault? lol. Your reasoning is a complete joke, and is only seen as a mere effort to try to keep overrated Luongo. Just stop before you embarass yourself.

Lu thinking he is an elite when he is not= Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

I was just talking about this with my long time friend and Canuck fan the other night. The Defense as much as I love the guys have to shoulder some of the blame . As many have stated this is a team sport and the team collectively can be blamed for all the losses in the finals last year against Boston. Retards blaming only LOU can seriously STFU btw <_<

This team is guns a blazing or the Bad News Bears when it comes to our defense. We need one more super solid stay at home Crusher that can enforce, and another puck mover preferably on the left side. Never mind the fact our GPG in the playoffs is nearly half of what it is in the reg season. I love Lou but I honestly feel it is best for both parties to move on. Fans here are certifiable and from the evidence Schneider has given us so far it looks as if he is ready to be tossed into the fire.

Be careful what you wish for CDC, When Lou is gone and Corey has a few bad ones what will you say then ? I still think We can have our cake and eat it for one more season. If have both these goalies again we will be a force in the west guaranteed.

Archived