The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

You have no clue who I am or what I do, how do you know I'm a joke?

Just because I couldn't stand CDC doesn't mean I am a bandwagoner.

I Hate Luongo he is not the team and I have never stopped cheering for this team

I never even grew up in BC, so I got made fun of since I was 11 cause of our lack of success. I fricken balled my eyes out in 94

Now to stay on topic, Luongo is our last line of "defense" so I agree with the topic title

it is the "defense"

And you sir are a big meanie

if you would actually read the entire post instead of taking only pieces of it to try and form yet another weak argument you would see that at no point did I say Luongo was "the team".

Who cares if people make fun of you for the team you cheer for are you really that sensitive? maybe you should not watch sports

Geezus! What's with all the name calling and sh*t?

Look, half of us think Luongo is an overrated douchebag and think Schneider is the better option moving forward. The other half think the opposite, more or less.

No need for everybody to get their panties in a knot. There will always be a roundabout argument about which is better and which is more flawed, everyone has an opinion.

My opinion is that Schneider is the guy to go with and I will not make an argument in this thread anyway as to why.

if you would actually read the entire post instead of taking only pieces of it to try and form yet another weak argument you would see that at no point did I say Luongo was "the team".

Who cares if people make fun of you for the team you cheer for are you really that sensitive? maybe you should not watch sports

no but 85 is probably miles above yours, you contribute nothing except anti-luongo bias

you're the typical "if you don't agree with my opinion then you're stupid" douchebag

you still never answered my question by the way, if you put in the guy who supposedly has better stats and you still lose how is that better it's still a loss, i'd love to hear it.

I don't doubt that goaltending is tied heavily to the other 5 players on the ice, but our defense isn't exactly beer league, either. I just got finished compiling stats over the past 3 seasons for all the defensemen in the league for fantasy hockey and it's pretty shocking how well Edler, Bieksa, and Hamhuis stack up to other defensemen in the league (again, statistically speaking). If you went solely based on the numbers, Edler is easily a Top 15 defenseman in the league (plus he's trending upwards, despite a poor post-season). Even our bottom-pairing is, statistically, one of the better ones in the league.

I've been saying this all along. Our defence is disgusting. Even our so called "stars" like Bieksa and Edler are brutal in their own zone and have been for a long time. Hamhuis and Salo are our only sensible defencemen. When you look at cup winners like the Kings and Bruins, all of their defencemen are solid in their own zone and they play a defence-first system.

Instead, our bonehead coaches want to play an offense-first system, starting from our defence which ends up in a lot of bad pinches, bad passes and odd-man rushes against our goalies. We are pretty much leaving them hung out to dry, which is why its unfair to blame much on our goalies let alone compare them to guys like Thomas and Quick who have their defence making life easy for them.

Defence wins championships though, it won one against us last year and it beat us out this year to take the Cup so we need to get on board and get a more physical, shutdown-style of a defence instead.

Sure, you can blame the D for some of the goals he lets in during his so called break downs, but like people have said before me;

A really good goalie will make those key saves, a good goalie won't. Loungo used to be a really good goalie, but he's starting to turn into a good one.

Archived