The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

Ya sure this thread is a joke. How can you blame the defense for everything? How bout Lu in shooutouts? Is that the canucks players taking the shootouts fault? lol. Your reasoning is a complete joke, and is only seen as a mere effort to try to keep overrated Luongo. Just stop before you embarass yourself.

Lu thinking he is an elite when he is not= Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

I've been saying this all along. Our defence is disgusting. Even our so called "stars" like Bieksa and Edler are brutal in their own zone and have been for a long time. Hamhuis and Salo are our only sensible defencemen. When you look at cup winners like the Kings and Bruins, all of their defencemen are solid in their own zone and they play a defence-first system.

Instead, our bonehead coaches want to play an offense-first system, starting from our defence which ends up in a lot of bad pinches, bad passes and odd-man rushes against our goalies. We are pretty much leaving them hung out to dry, which is why its unfair to blame much on our goalies let alone compare them to guys like Thomas and Quick who have their defence making life easy for them.

Defence wins championships though, it won one against us last year and it beat us out this year to take the Cup so we need to get on board and get a more physical, shutdown-style of a defence instead.

Maybe Schneider has better numbers because psychologically, the players have more confidence in Luongo. Hear me out - with Luongo in goal, the defense has that mindset that they can take a few more chances, of course high-risk, high-reward, and with risk, there is the chance that the risk does not pan out.

I fully agree that the defense plays better with Schneider in goal, but that's not as much hanging Luongo out to dry as it is that they feel he will make that save when needed. Reputations do that sometimes.

Lu lets in a lot of weak goals in the playoffs, sure the D needs improvement but his job is to stop pucks. The team plays better in front of Schneider because they have more confidence with him in goal...plain and simple. They can say all they want about how great Lu is, talk is cheap...actions speak volumes. The team is tentative and plays afraid in front of Lu when the games matter, this is a different team with schneids in net...a better team.

Your reasoning is good but not good enough, because you said shootouts are not part of playoffs but how bout the penalty on Brown that led to a penalty shot which Schneider saved and kept the team in the game. These kind of clutch important saves is what Luongo is lacking. You actually think that Lu would have saved that? Lastly shootouts in regular season are points aren't they which can effect the playoff seedings for all teams. See my point? Yes defensive error is factor and is unavoidable in sports but when a younger more talented goalie like Schneider is in net and is able to let in less goals compared to Luongo in those situations. It gives the team a better chance. See my point?

Some of these kids must be on crack. Second piciture shows Luongo out of position, on his ass, facing the wrong way and making a save. Hardly recommended form !! Luongo gets beat because of poor technique and positional play. Those who conyinually blame the defense for all oh his woes know nothing about goaltending. Schneider plays better behind the same defense because he makes life easier for the d'men. He controls and directs rebounds, smothers loose pucks, holds onto the puck in his glove and hangs onto his stick better, and makes more opportune saves. He seals off the bottom of the net better on scrambles. All in all, a far better goalie than Lou is now....if you can;t see any of this , I'll enroll you in goaltending 101 because obviously you know squat about the position.

Maybe Schneider has better numbers because psychologically, the players have more confidence in Luongo. Hear me out - with Luongo in goal, the defense has that mindset that they can take a few more chances, of course high-risk, high-reward, and with risk, there is the chance that the risk does not pan out.

I fully agree that the defense plays better with Schneider in goal, but that's not as much hanging Luongo out to dry as it is that they feel he will make that save when needed. Reputations do that sometimes.

Archived