The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

I love the offseason. Does the Canucks defense give up chances yea but I wouldn't say it is any more than another other team, and maybe you put the blame on bowness as he is the defensive coach for the Canucks. The rule is that goalies are only suppose to make one save then the defense cleans it up. But time to time you are going have to make 2 or 3 extra saves it will happen. I can see if Luongo wasn't going be traded if Gillis fired AV. But Av pretty much said I have no confidents in and went with Schnieder 3 staight games 2 of them being elimation games.

Now I am hearing that the D gives up more scoring chances against Luongo than Schnieder which I think is ridiculous. The team still gives up 2 on1 against Schnieder the only difference is that and it has been said before is that Schnieders is technally better and rarely put himself in a bad position unlike Luongo.

Agree to an extent. Luongo has let in his share of soft goals, but so has every goalie. It's bound to happen once in a while. But you're right that usually when Luongo breaks down, it's not just him, it's the entire team giving up scoring chances. With most goals, it's impossible to blame it on one player only. Our defense this year was actually quite weak, I saw way to many bad breakdowns over the course the year. Quite a few times our goalies were left hung out to dry. Of course sometimes the team has to rely on their goalie to steal a game and make a big save, and Luongo hasn't always been consistent with that for a superstar goalie.

The truth is, all players on the ice depend on each other and when the Canucks lose, it's everyone's fault including the goalie, forwards, and defense.

Luongo will be dealt sometime this Summer, Lou fans need to accept this and stop blaming and looking for excuses for his EPIC meltdowns in the playoffs.

You can have all the Norris candidates playing infront of him, but if he still lets in weak deflating goals through is 5 hole, it doesnt matter how good or bad your defence is.

Elite goalies can steal games. Luongo is a GREAT goalie and has stolen games for us for sure. But it's tough to say that he's an elite goalie who can be trusted to steal games for us day in and day out, like Quick or Thomas.

Wow really one game against detroit eh, didn't know buddy. Stop making the defense as scapegoat just to protect Luongo. All your proving is your lame and weak in counteragruments you phoney. Your probably one of thos kids that love luongo because he gave you a autograph you lame naive child.

Realest thing on this forum, and to say luongo sucks in shootouts is a huge is weak, theres no shoot outs in playoffs and points aren't the issue they've won presidents trophy back to back, defense lacks on most of goals.

I've been saying this all along. Our defence is disgusting. Even our so called "stars" like Bieksa and Edler are brutal in their own zone and have been for a long time. Hamhuis and Salo are our only sensible defencemen. When you look at cup winners like the Kings and Bruins, all of their defencemen are solid in their own zone and they play a defence-first system.

Instead, our bonehead coaches want to play an offense-first system, starting from our defence which ends up in a lot of bad pinches, bad passes and odd-man rushes against our goalies. We are pretty much leaving them hung out to dry, which is why its unfair to blame much on our goalies let alone compare them to guys like Thomas and Quick who have their defence making life easy for them.

Defence wins championships though, it won one against us last year and it beat us out this year to take the Cup so we need to get on board and get a more physical, shutdown-style of a defence instead.

Guest Dasein

Defence always make "Gaffs" or the opposition's offence, out-plays them. If that didn't happen, you wouldn't need goalies.

If a goalie only makes the saves he's supposed ot make when the rest of the team all do their jobs to perfection, you could use a cardboard cutout in net.

Lu has failed to be the difference maker when it mattered and has too often been outplayed by the other goalie. Tim Thomas "was" that difference last year. Quick, "was" that difference this year against the Nucks.

Lu is a good goalie but has failed to raise his level of play to the necessary level when it matters most. Not all teh time, but enough to be the difference on the down side of the equation.

IN all seven games last year, Thomas did not let in any untimely or easy goals...LU did. Thomas made some incredible, timely saves that gave his team the momentum to go on and win, Lu did not.

Posted · Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Templeton Peck, June 17, 2012 - No reason given

Protect Luongo. No.

I'm just not going to talk like an uninformed hack of a hockey fan who can't see the issues for what they really are. Like you.

I can't help the fact that you are too irretrievably moronic to see the defence is porous. Of course when your head is stuffed your a$$, you don't see much else do you?

Here's a tip for you Kswiper, next time a pharamaceutical company offers you the chance to try some free drugs, decline.

Luongo to Florida in a deal that includes Bjugstad and Petrovic.

Take a shot at signing Shane Doan on July 1st - the best fit available on the UFA market - power forward right winger, character veteran. The odds may be low, but nothing lost, and failing a UFA signing, the Canucks have a wealth of assets to use if they must.

Sign one of the many UFA blueliners available this summer (Garrison, Allen, Kuba, Schultz, Gill, Aucoin to name a few guys out there this summer... a number of options), and re-sign Sami Salo.

Bring back Pahlsson.

Keep Schneider and add to our young pool of prospects.

The Canucks blueline is better and deeper than most people on CDC are giving them credit for.

I've been saying this for awhile.

I think most of the times where Luongo has "choked" have been instances where the team infront of him has hung him out to dry.

I remember a game against Chicago where Hossa was open in the slot and sniped and people were blaming it on Luongo. There wasn't much of a "why was Hossa alone in the slot" talk.

Archived