The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

I think the main point is valid, although you can't apply it to the point where Luongo gets zero blame. It's a fact that, even for the elite, elite goalies, the D makes all the difference in the world. Look at Mike Smith. He plays for Tampa and can barely keep his Save % above .900 and even gets demoted to the AHL. Then he plays for Phoenix and has a tremendous season, posting a 2.21 GAA and .930 Save % and 8 shutouts, a season that, in my mind, should have garnered him a Vezina nomination over Pekka Rinne. Look at Kari Lehtonen and how he struggled to play up to par for the Thrashers. Then he gets traded to the Stars and puts up a real solid 2.33 GAA and .922 Save % and the Stars didn't even have that stellar a defense.

At the end of the day, as much as elite goalies are expected to perform regardless, the defense does go hand in hand with the performance of your goalie. Luongo still puts up more than good enough numbers on his own (2.41 GAA, .919 Save% this year) but is more than capable of putting up elite numbers when his D's are doing their job, like last year when he put up a 2.11 GAA, .928 Save% and received a Vezina nomination.

It's just a fact and Luongo takes more criticism than he deserves because people choose not to factor in the shoddy play of the defense in front of him.

I think the main point is valid, although you can't apply it to the point where Luongo gets zero blame. It's a fact that, even for the elite, elite goalies, the D makes all the difference in the world. Look at Mike Smith. He plays for Tampa and can barely keep his Save % above .900 and even gets demoted to the AHL. Then he plays for Phoenix and has a tremendous season, posting a 2.21 GAA and .930 Save % and 8 shutouts, a season that, in my mind, should have garnered him a Vezina nomination over Pekka Rinne. Look at Kari Lehtonen and how he struggled to play up to par for the Thrashers. Then he gets traded to the Stars and puts up a real solid 2.33 GAA and .922 Save % and the Stars didn't even have that stellar a defense.

At the end of the day, as much as elite goalies are expected to perform regardless, the defense does go hand in hand with the performance of your goalie. Luongo still puts up more than good enough numbers on his own (2.41 GAA, .919 Save% this year) but is more than capable of putting up elite numbers when his D's are doing their job, like last year when he put up a 2.11 GAA, .928 Save% and received a Vezina nomination.

It's just a fact and Luongo takes more criticism than he deserves because people choose not to factor in the shoddy play of the defense in front of him.

I guess we will start playing the trap?

I guess defense jumping into the play is not fair to Luongo and neither Is pinching.

From the looks of it he needs 2 defenseman infront of him at all times

But if we don't score we lose from lack of scoring

Make up your mind Luo lovers.

:picard: Def isn't the main issue, the whole team played like crap, They tanked!!!! Kes wasn't on his game, the Sedins vanished, Burr wasn't at his best, Bieksa was a give away machine, Edler couldn't shoot, Raymond was invisible(he has a valid excuse.......em em broken back), Booth was to greedy, Higgy was good, Hammer was out of position alot...... I mean wow! for a team this good that was shocking! I honestly do not know why they were so bad, aside from lack of drive i can't think of anything.

Luo was just plain awful, he spent more time on his stomach than on his feet. All the opposing team had to do to score was put the puck on net and about 3 feet high and Goal, this hapend on almost every down low play in the Nucks end!

So to put Luo's issues solely on Def is a joke, there are alot more issues at play here than just Def or goaltending for that matter!

It's not a cheap shot. You guys claim Luongo hasn't been playing well enough in the last two playoff series, and at times he hasn't. By that logic neither has Schneider because we're still losing. Any coincidence it's the offense mustering a puny 1.33 GF? No, it couldn't be..

Like I've said about fourteen times now, regardless of who is in net, he basically has to start posting shutouts every second game because this team can't even score two goals a game.

So, are you actually defending the teams pathetic 1.33 G/G over the last two series by blaming Luongo for not pitching shutouts left and right? You have to be. Those are unrealistic standards for any goalie in the history of the game. I understand you have a hard on for Schneider and would drive Roberto to the port and kick him out of the car too.

They actually played better by that point, defensively speaking, when Schneider was in net but it was too late anyway. How many short handed rushes can you recall with Schneider in net? How many odd man breaks? I can't recall many, if any. I'm not defending Luongo's gaffs at times by any means. But he also has played well at times over the last two series and was by far the biggest reason we even managed three wins against the Bruins. Again, with this putrid offense, this team is going nowhere real quick, even if you had a Hasek or Brodeur in their prime playing for us.

It's not a cheap shot. You guys claim Luongo hasn't been playing well enough in the last two playoff series, and at times he hasn't. By that logic neither has Schneider because we're still losing. Any coincidence it's the offense mustering a puny 1.33 GF? No, it couldn't be..

Like I've said about fourteen times now, regardless of who is in net, he basically has to start posting shutouts every second game because this team can't even score two goals a game.

statistically yes it was better, did it matter in the end? no because we still lost. get how that works?

if a player gets a double hat-trick but you lose the game 7-6 does it matter? no because you still lost

I'm sure I have herd you say if it wasn't for luongo we wouldn't have made it to game 7

So now that you have said it doesn't matter

I want you to promise me you will never talk about games 1,2 and 5 of the SCF

Please and thanks

Archived