The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

I don't have the stats but from memory most of the games that people on here complain about every year where we lose, the shots against have been 40 plus.

I am the first to admit that when Luongo lets in a week goal he is usually on his belly but the reason he gets there is because he has made the first save and the defense has not been able to clear the puck.

I think that no matter If he stays or goes that we will see better rebound control this year. (please coaching staff, please!) but we still need a good, big, defensive defenseman for sure.

Lu lets in a lot of weak goals in the playoffs, sure the D needs improvement but his job is to stop pucks. The team plays better in front of Schneider because they have more confidence with him in goal...plain and simple. They can say all they want about how great Lu is, talk is cheap...actions speak volumes. The team is tentative and plays afraid in front of Lu when the games matter, this is a different team with schneids in net...a better team.

Dude,

Really? So here's your logic

1. In the regular season the defense plays well for both goalies (except when Lou is in net in Oct and Nov I'm sure you'd say).

2. In the playoffs the VERY SAME players, stop doing what they were doing because what, they hate Lou?

3. The very same players decide, hey lets play smart in front of Schnieds in the regular season and the playoffs.

Dude the only moving part in your argument is Lou's play...he's the variable...learn simple logic.

WOW just wow...why can't people just accept that Lou, while a good goalie is not an elite goalie. Did you hear Kypreos on Sportsnet the other night, not to say he's an expert but he's alot closer than you or I given he played the game at the NHL level..even he said Luongo will never win a cup.

Its his composure, his ability to shut out the mental issues thats the problem, not the defense in front of him, because its the same defence in front of Schnieder and he is being outplayed by Schnieder. Simple.

I don't have the stats but from memory most of the games that people on here complain about every year where we lose, the shots against have been 40 plus.

I am the first to admit that when Luongo lets in a week goal he is usually on his belly but the reason he gets there is because he has made the first save and the defense has not been able to clear the puck.

I think that no matter If he stays or goes that we will see better rebound control this year. (please coaching staff, please!) but we still need a good, big, defensive defenseman for sure.

Your reasoning is good but not good enough, because you said shootouts are not part of playoffs but how bout the penalty on Brown that led to a penalty shot which Schneider saved and kept the team in the game. These kind of clutch important saves is what Luongo is lacking. You actually think that Lu would have saved that? Lastly shootouts in regular season are points aren't they which can effect the playoff seedings for all teams. See my point? Yes defensive error is factor and is unavoidable in sports but when a younger more talented goalie like Schneider is in net and is able to let in less goals compared to Luongo in those situations. It gives the team a better chance. See my point?

Your reasoning is good but not good enough, because you said shootouts are not part of playoffs but how bout the penalty on Brown that led to a penalty shot which Schneider saved and kept the team in the game. These kind of clutch important saves is what Luongo is lacking. You actually think that Lu would have saved that? Lastly shootouts in regular season are points aren't they which can effect the playoff seedings for all teams. See my point? Yes defensive error is factor and is unavoidable in sports but when a younger more talented goalie like Schneider is in net and is able to let in less goals compared to Luongo in those situations. It gives the team a better chance. See my point?

I've been saying this all along. Our defence is disgusting. Even our so called "stars" like Bieksa and Edler are brutal in their own zone and have been for a long time. Hamhuis and Salo are our only sensible defencemen. When you look at cup winners like the Kings and Bruins, all of their defencemen are solid in their own zone and they play a defence-first system.

Instead, our bonehead coaches want to play an offense-first system, starting from our defence which ends up in a lot of bad pinches, bad passes and odd-man rushes against our goalies. We are pretty much leaving them hung out to dry, which is why its unfair to blame much on our goalies let alone compare them to guys like Thomas and Quick who have their defence making life easy for them.

Defence wins championships though, it won one against us last year and it beat us out this year to take the Cup so we need to get on board and get a more physical, shutdown-style of a defence instead.

WOW just wow...why can't people just accept that Lou, while a good goalie is not an elite goalie. Did you hear Kypreos on Sportsnet the other night, not to say he's an expert but he's alot closer than you or I given he played the game at the NHL level..even he said Luongo will never win a cup..

Lou has played at superstar status levels many times in his career.

That cannot be conjured up and wishing the same upon a newbie goalie with little to no track record is fantasy.

They highlighted Cory in the LA series,now get a huge ,top 2 d man for him and let's roll with it.

Wow. Hey Ksnippet, guess what? The defense is not good enough. Luongo has brought this club from semi-ok to being a contender year in, year out.

Even when Naslund and Bertuzzi were here, Cloutier was way to hot and cold.

Shootouts? Luongo stoned Detroit during the mid season game when the Canucks snapped their winning streak.

Just a thought. Before you go flapping those useless gums of yours, know what you speak of. Otherwise you're just a bag of hot air. Which you are.

Wow really one game against detroit eh, didn't know buddy. Stop making the defense as scapegoat just to protect Luongo. All your proving is your lame and weak in counteragruments you phoney. Your probably one of thos kids that love luongo because he gave you a autograph you lame naive child.

What about Schneider's not so clutch performance against Chicago last year? He not only let in the goal, but also got a cramp and left the game....Don't even start about that being happening a year ago because all the Luongo haters out there constantly mention Boston and Chicago from last year....

I'm not saying that Luongo is a better choice because I (nor anyone else on CDC) can predict the future, but I just want to state both sides of the issue...

how bout the penalty on Brown that led to a penalty shot which Schneider saved and kept the team in the game. These kind of clutch important saves is what Luongo is lacking. You actually think that Lu would have saved that?

Archived