The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor - CBJ was going to make a "major offer" for Schnieder

babych

I live in Calgary and listen to The Fan 960 regulary. Yesterday they had a reporter from Columbus on talking about the disaster of a season the Blue Jackets had. He was talking about how everything went wrong from the Carter trade to losing the lottery. Anyway, what caught my interest was that he stated that CBJ really wanted Schnieder and were prepared to make a "major offer" for him. He then went on to say that Schnieder is now untouchable due to his taking over the starter position in the playoffs and that Luongo is in play if Columbus wanted a goaltender.

He was citing this as another example of how things have gone south in Columbus: the goalie they really wanted is now untouchable, etc.

Anyway, thoughts on what Columbus would be (or was) willing to give up to get Schnieder? Plus, if Vancouver goes with Luongo does that make Schnieder's trade value all that much higher?

There's no way that CBJ would be wanting to put their 2nd overall pick in a package to get Schnieder, is there?

Edit: the reporter in question is Aaron Portzline, who is the Blue Jackets beat reporter with the Columbus Dispatch.

Hmm, I'm sure Gillis is just trying to increase Schneider's value by saying they can't have him.

If they really are prepared to make a major offer, Gillis would at least have to consider it.

Their major assets are Nash, Johansen, and their 2nd overall pick. Schneider doesn't get you any one of those on his own, but maybe as part of a bigger package. Johansen and/or the 2nd overall pick would be great assets to flip for somone like Weber.

Hmm, I'm sure Gillis is just trying to increase Schneider's value by saying they can't have him.

If they really are prepared to make a major offer, Gillis would at least have to consider it.

Their major assets are Nash, Johansen, and their 2nd overall pick. Schneider doesn't get you any one of those on his own, but maybe as part of a bigger package. Johansen and/or the 2nd overall pick would be great assets to flip for somone like Weber.

Guest Dasein

If the return is significant and more than what we can get for Luongo, I'd trade Schneider and keep Luongo. Goaltending was not our problem - we're fine with either player for the next 5 years (with Schneider, more). If the return fixes our scoring problem and/or our defense, then yes.

Archived