172 replies to this topic

#121 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Interested to see what you think Suter is worth.

Like I said. My opinion is 7mil is overpayment for Weber. Nashville obviously thought the same. As he had to take them to arbitration last year to get it.

But this is just my opinion.

I've read several of your posts above, including the one I quoted. You are completely misinformed on the value of Shea Weber. You are also misinformed on the criteria to determine value of a player. PPG is not the only thing that counts when evaluating a player's value. Shea Weber is a 235 lbs 6'4 inch beast who hits like a truck. Weber is the best Dman in the world right now and will most likely remain so for quite some time.

Shea Weber could get $10 million per year if he hits UFA. I would not be surprised to see Weber get an offer of 10 years $100 million.

You will soon find out what Ryan Suter is worth as a UFA. He will easily be offered more than $8 + million per year on a long term contract.

Drew Doughty just signed for $7 million per year for 8 years coming off his ELC, as a 21 year old. Weber is one year away from hitting UFA and Suter is UFA on July 1st. Weber and Suter will both get a lot more than Doughty.

#122 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well when you consider the Sedins could have probably easily gotten 7.5 mil on the open market, I don't think Nash's 7.8 cap hit is that bad, it's about on the mark.

You've gotta take into account that he's never had elite linemates to play with, so in all liklihood he would be an 90-100 point player on a good team.

I still think we need one more elite top 6 forward to put us over the top based on how our team is built. If you look at Chicago, they did it with Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa. We've got the equivelant of Toews, Kane, and Sharp in the Sedins and Kesler. But we need that Hossa type player that can be the X-factor/gamebreaker type player. Nash is that.

In the market yes, but it's pretty difficult to build a deep team when one of your players makes that much money. It's possible though.

Nash does have the tools to hit the 90-100 point mark, but playing with good players also means you have to distribute the puck a bit more. There are some players who need to play with players who don't need the puck as much to succeed.

Henrik needs to control the play to be effective in my opinion. Nash is a very skilled player though, and a very good two-way player so I wouldn't complain if we had him. He's one of my favourite players in the league and I would love to see him here.

Posted Image

#123 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

2nd overall or bust!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#124 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Would this have worked?

To Vancouver: Nash + Carter + 1st

To Columbus: Schneider + Booth + Ballard

You forgot Raymond & a 3rd.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#125 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Shea Weber could get $10 million per year if he hits UFA. I would not be surprised to see Weber get an offer of 10 years $100 million.

You will soon find out what Ryan Suter is worth as a UFA. He will easily be offered more than $8 + million per year on a long term contract.

Are you the agent for both guys?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#126 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

we're not getting Staal for Booth plus and we won't be getting enough back from the Luongo trade to bring in Weber. If we want Staal I would think Elder or Kesler would have to go the other way, if want want Weber same thing Kesler or Edler going the other way. If Staal is put on the market other teams would have no problem topping a Booth + offer with ease.

I don't see how Luongo would bring back a piece big enough to get Weber, I really don't see that happening. IMO I doubt we get much back from Luongo, this is why trading Schneider might make more sense since we have Lack ready and Cannata not far off but I'd only trade Schneider for a guy like Johansen.

I guess all trades are dependant upon what we receive for one of our goalies, then we can assess our assets to form packages for other trades.

But what's stopping us from trading for Weber? I would think if we get at lease 1 top 6 Dman in the trade, or through free agency, that a Ballard, Tanev package would be hard for Nashville to say no to. That's a Top 4 pairing that can step in and play right away and reduce the loss of Suter and Weber a little.

As for J.Staal, I'll admit that I'm just dreaming a bit, but it fits with what MG wants for this team. Bigger, stronger, younger.

#127 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well when you consider the Sedins could have probably easily gotten 7.5 mil on the open market, I don't think Nash's 7.8 cap hit is that bad, it's about on the mark.

You've gotta take into account that he's never had elite linemates to play with, so in all liklihood he would be an 90-100 point player on a good team.

I still think we need one more elite top 6 forward to put us over the top based on how our team is built. If you look at Chicago, they did it with Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa. We've got the equivelant of Toews, Kane, and Sharp in the Sedins and Kesler. But we need that Hossa type player that can be the X-factor/gamebreaker type player. Nash is that.

DeNiro, I've been creeping this forum for awhile now, and you're the poster I agree with more often than not. But do you really think Nash at 7.8 would be worth it? While I agree we need another top 6 forward, I feel we need that #1 dman much more, and that money could be used for one.

#128 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

DeNiro, I've been creeping this forum for awhile now, and you're the poster I agree with more often than not. But do you really think Nash at 7.8 would be worth it? While I agree we need another top 6 forward, I feel we need that #1 dman much more, and that money could be used for one.

Number 1 dmen don't grow on trees. Every team needs 1, teams that already have 1 want another because great defensemen are so hard to come by.

We can all say we need a number 1 dman but in reality it's just not easy to get.

Posted Image

#129 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

How about Columbus can keep being a crappy team and we keep Schneider

this!

Why exactly is no one supportig the idea of keeping both goalies? I don't get it...did they have a knife fight in the locker room? I didn't see it if they did.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#130 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

this!

Why exactly is no one supportig the idea of keeping both goalies? I don't get it...did they have a knife fight in the locker room? I didn't see it if they did.

Because we all know the inevitable outcome is one leaving.

Posted Image

#131 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

I guess all trades are dependant upon what we receive for one of our goalies, then we can assess our assets to form packages for other trades.

But what's stopping us from trading for Weber? I would think if we get at lease 1 top 6 Dman in the trade, or through free agency, that a Ballard, Tanev package would be hard for Nashville to say no to. That's a Top 4 pairing that can step in and play right away and reduce the loss of Suter and Weber a little.

As for J.Staal, I'll admit that I'm just dreaming a bit, but it fits with what MG wants for this team. Bigger, stronger, younger.

if Weber gets put on the market other teams would pay much more than Ballard and Tanev... Edler might get their attention, I'd do elder and pair Weber up with Ballard

#132 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,442 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Schneider would cost them a pretty penny.

Johansen and Moore.

#133 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

What is stopping us for trading for Weber are these crackpot ideas of "Ballard and Tanev". Tanev shoot like a peewee and is built like one to match. I like the guy, but lay off the pipe. Ballard? Lol. I like him too, but you are seriously contemplating the idea that they might be integral parts?

Let's be cereal. Edler to start. Then a 1st. Now, do we include Burrows and Jensen? After that, sign him for about $8M a year. Of course that weakens us everywhere else depthwise, but who cares.

#134 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

this!

I'm sure that would be ideal but both goalies have came out and said they want to be starters, they don't want to share the starting position anymore so one of them will go. They're not going to play 41 games each a year

#135 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Samjam reported that CBJ wanted Schneider, Hodgson, and THREE 1st rounders for Nash at the trade deadline.

LOL, good thing Burke isn't the Canucks GM anymore!
:towel:

#136 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

this!

Because there is only one net to defend.

#137 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

if Weber gets put on the market other teams would pay much more than Ballard and Tanev... Edler might get their attention, I'd do elder and pair Weber up with Ballard

My apologies, I wanted to say Ballard, Tanev, plus picks/prospects. I don't believe the 2 alone would get us Weber.

I'll admit keeping Ballard to play with Weber makes the most sense. Edler would be what they would want in return, but he's a UFA after next year with no guarantee that he would re-sign, same with Weber. Ballard is signed for a 3 more seasons which would have to be appealing to Nashville. Tanev is an RFA after next season which I wouldn't see Nashville having a problem re-signing.

What is stopping us for trading for Weber are these crackpot ideas of "Ballard and Tanev". Tanev shoot like a peewee and is built like one to match. I like the guy, but lay off the pipe. Ballard? Lol. I like him too, but you are seriously contemplating the idea that they might be integral parts?

Let's be cereal. Edler to start. Then a 1st. Now, do we include Burrows and Jensen? After that, sign him for about $8M a year. Of course that weakens us everywhere else depthwise, but who cares.

Is it that unrealistic to think Nashville would want a top 4 pairing to help soften the blow of losing their top 2 defenders? Which other team can offer that?

Pronger was traded from Anaheim to Philly for Sbisa, Lupul, 2 1st round picks, and a 3rd. Is Ballard, Tanev + picks/prospects that far off from that kind of return?

Also, can we not have a discussion without insulting each other? Just because our views are different, does not mean we have to resort to such childish things.

#138 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sorry for the "necro-post", but the idea of MG trading Schneider instead of Luongo has been floated around a lot lately. Given that CBJ really wanted Cory as their goalie of the future it's fair to assume that they are still high on him. The question is now: what does CBJ have to give up for Scheids?

Does a high pick and prospect(s) make our team better than what Luongo could garner?

#139 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

God would I love to pry Ryan Murray out of there if things get really panicky.

That would be quite a catch!

#140 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,179 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Boone Jenner all day. Former teammate of Jensen's, and a beast of a player.

I would do:

Jenner
Mason
1st round pick

for

Schneider

Or if we can get Ryan Johansen, he would be a great addition too. He would probably be a straight up 1 for 1 trade.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#141 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

I guess I'm bumping this for the second time but it really highlights how badly Gillis mismanaged this whole thing.

I'm very happy with Horvat but had MG traded Schneider last year he probably could have gotten CBJ to eat Ballards contract also.

Instead, he leaves it until way too late and we get diminished returns.

I used to really like Gillis but I'm starting to not be a huge fan of his.

#142 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I guess I'm bumping this for the second time but it really highlights how badly Gillis mismanaged this whole thing.

I'm very happy with Horvat but had MG traded Schneider last year he probably could have gotten CBJ to eat Ballards contract also.

Instead, he leaves it until way too late and we get diminished returns.

I used to really like Gillis but I'm starting to not be a huge fan of his.

useless bump i hope it gets locked you do understand what a rumor means right just like the rumor that oilers offered more and you and every other person stating 9th overall is diminished return or 0 value needs to shake their head

#143 Blue & Green

Blue & Green

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

useless bump i hope it gets locked you do understand what a rumor means right just like the rumor that oilers offered more and you and every other person stating 9th overall is diminished return or 0 value needs to shake their head

Not nearly as useless as your post.

#144 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Not nearly as useless as your post.

Who are you again?

Keswho.jpg

#145 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Go back and read the last page.

It's funny, sad, demeaning, delusional, and infuriating.

CDC at it's best. :)

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#146 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

I guess you're unaware that Portzline (sp?) has very credible sources and is "the guy" to talk to regarding CBJ.

Also, if you think that MG would not have gotten more had he traded Schneider earlier than you definitely need to give your head a shake.

#147 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I guess you're unaware that Portzline (sp?) has very credible sources and is "the guy" to talk to regarding CBJ.

Also, if you think that MG would not have gotten more had he traded Schneider earlier than you definitely need to give your head a shake.

Schneider's Value Now > Schneider Value 2 years ago

very simple more nhl experience equals more value and some reporter from CBJ doesn't make it a credible source stuff gets made up all the time just look at our media

#148 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Schneider's Value Now > Schneider Value 2 years ago

very simple more nhl experience equals more value and some reporter from CBJ doesn't make it a credible source stuff gets made up all the time just look at our media

Schneider's value may be higher now, but the overall goalie market is way lower than it was 2 years ago.

At that time a stud, young goalie was fetching a premium, but this year there are several guys on the market, so the value received is way less.
Posted Image

#149 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Schneider, Ebbett, Barker, Ballard to CBJ for
Nash, Carter, Ryan Johanson, Ryan Murrey and Bobrovsky

That's what Gillis would've asked for
jersey collection.jpg

#150 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Schneider's value may be higher now, but the overall goalie market is way lower than it was 2 years ago.

At that time a stud, young goalie was fetching a premium, but this year there are several guys on the market, so the value received is way less.arl

ya because there were so many young goalies being traded 2 years ago the only comparable would be Varlamov who got a 1st round pick 11th overal and a 2nd round pick can't remember what position

yes you could argue the market is full of goalies right now but how many are going to actually change teams so far its only been Bernier and Schneider

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.