The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor - CBJ was going to make a "major offer" for Schnieder

babych

I'm surprised that so many people are still interested in Nash. If the Canucks had Nash and Luongo, they would be handcuffed Cap-wise for years.

If people are serious about wanting MG to make a play for Weber next year, there's no way they can afford Rick Nash as well.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Jackets want Schneider badly enough, then the #2 pick or RJ have to be on the table.

The fact Howson is completely incompetent makes me think Gillis wouldn't have the patience dealing with him. I could imagine Howson throwing out ridiculous requests and GMMG just ignoring him, knowing eventually Howson will get desperate and then get fleeced in a deal where the Canucks trade Schneider and Ballard for every prospect Columbus owns.

If Columbus asks MG about Schneider now, the only way they get his attention will be if they pony up the 2nd overall. That is what it will take for Columbus to get their franchise goalie and future Vezina winner. Things have changed since the trade deadline and Schneider is now a #1 goalie, not a backup and his value is much, much higher. With the 2nd overall, we either pick Nail Yakupov or Ryan Murray. If they're really ready to make a "big offer" for Schneider, let's see it then... IMO it has to involve their 2nd overall to be considered one.

Answers to posts above and below > Would I trade Schneider for J Johnson? I'd think long and hard! 230 lb 25 year old mobile defender with a cap hit similar to Ballards? Coming off a season where he played second fiddle on two of the worst offensive teams in the NHL, and still scored 38 points?

Sounds like exactly what we need! B)

I do not know the inside scoop, but I bet when Columbus had to unload Carter, they probably felt grateful to get Johnson! And L.A. probably gave him up because they had another reasonable defender in their line up, Doughty. They dealt him from strength! I'm sure they felt (justifiably) that they needed another goal scorer more than Johnson. L.A. also had Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell!. It does not have to mean he has a bad attitude.

And Gillis would match that offer sheet. It might even do him a favour, as it would lock up Schneider for likely 5 or more years. Then he could deal a goalie from strength!

For the OP, if Columbus really was prepared to make a major offer, it apparently wasn't major enough for Gillis to consider moving Schneids. If it was a significant offer, Gillis likely would have accepted unless there were specifics he wanted that Columbus wasn't willing to give up.

For instance, if Columbus was offering their 2012 1st rounder (before we knew it was 2nd overall), Boone Jenner and one of David Savard or Cody Goloubef (both promising RH defensmen), I'd think Gillis would have taken it.

If CBJ would move Johansen for Schneider I'd do that, that's one of the very few players I'd move Schneider for over Luongo, Johansen really would be that safety net for us and at 6'3 220lbs he brings a ton of size then slap Kassian 6'3 220lbs and we're getting freaking big and both bring a lot of skill, we'd also have Jensen at 6'3 close to being ready. CBJ could afford this as they have the 2nd overall and can draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko to replace the loss of Johansen and get their goalie of the future, their D has improved a ton.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder

Burrows Johansen Hansen

Higgin Lappy OPEN

I really think Kassian should be put with the Twins he likes to cycle, he's very strong on the boards and can also play big in front of the net, natural right handed right side guy, who brings that meanness we've always wanted with the Sedins, if Pyatt and Carter could score with the Twins than a much higher skilled Kassian should be able to and he did look solid when he did play with them. Kassian is putting in a monster offseason this year, he showed flashes of being a solid top 6er if his training can help him maintain that play for this next season then I'm excited.

I think Schroeder could be a perfect fit for Booth and Kesler, Schroeder is a playmaker guy who has great speed and highly skilled, Kesler and Booth both bring size and grit and they need a skilled playmaker on their wing in the worse way, I think Schroeder will be that guy.

Johansen can learn the game under Kesler and the Sedins and we can take our time with developing and grooming him to be the future top line centre. The 3rd line would be a solid 2 way line that would be able to chip in offensively and players can move up when injuries happen this giving us even better scoring depth in the system.

On the 4th line Higgins and Lappy have played great together in the past and this gives our 4th line that factor of skill that teams who win the cup have.

I agree completely on the Kassian assessment. His game seems like it would fit the best with the Sedins. Strong along the boards/in front of the net with good hands/shot. He just needs to learn where to position himself with the twins like Burrows.

But the way I see it is, the Luongo trade should get us assets that we can use to flip for Weber's rights. Our 2 biggest needs are that #1 defender and a top 6 winger. If Kassian is able to step into that top 6 role we all of a sudden have an extra top 6 forward with either Booth or Burrows, and IMO I would like to keep Burrows. Then Booth along with other assets, traded to Pittsburgh for J.Staal.

Why? I don't believe Kesler's body is built to withstand the beating of taking on other teams top lines 82 games plus playoffs with the injuries he's suffered 2 years in a row, and we all know Kesler looks better suited to be a winger. Staal would also have a cap him of less than 6 mil. Assuming he'd resign with us of course. The guy has a Stanley cup ring playing shut down role in Pittsburgh and is only 23. Can you imagine Kassian, J.Staal, Jensen in the future, damn! But for now

Sedin(6.1m) - Sedin(6.1m) - Kassian(870k) = 13.07m

Kesler(5m) - J.Staal(4m) - Burrows(2m) = 11m

Higgins(1.9m) - Lapierre(1m) - Hansen(1.35) = 4.25m

Volpatti(850k) - Malholtra(2.5m) - Bitz(850k) = 4.2m

Forwards = 32.52m

Then whatever we receive from trading one of our goalies can be flipped for Weber's rights, and have him re-sign at a slight discount.

Edler(3.25m) - Weber(7m) = 10.05m

Hamhuis(4.5m) - Bieksa(4.6) = 9.1m

Salo(1.5m) - Tanev (900k) = 2.4m

Defense = 22.05m

Schneider(3.5m)

Brent Johnson(650K)

Goalies = 4.15m

Total = 58.72m

Cap Space = 5.58m with the cap being 64.3m

Enough room to adjust J.Staal and Weber's salary accordingly. Or if Tanev is part of a trade, add a #6 defenceman plus carry a depth defenceman and forward, all under last year's salary cap. And with the cap going up, we should be able to afford Burrows and Edler's raises for after the 2012-2013 season.

Edit: J.Staal has 1 more year at 4m.

I agree completely on the Kassian assessment. His game seems like it would fit the best with the Sedins. Strong along the boards/in front of the net with good hands/shot. He just needs to learn where to position himself with the twins like Burrows.

But the way I see it is, the Luongo trade should get us assets that we can use to flip for Weber's rights. Our 2 biggest needs are that #1 defender and a top 6 winger. If Kassian is able to step into that top 6 role we all of a sudden have an extra top 6 forward with either Booth or Burrows, and IMO I would like to keep Burrows. Then Booth along with other assets, traded to Pittsburgh for J.Staal.

Why? I don't believe Kesler's body is built to withstand the beating of taking on other teams top lines 82 games plus playoffs with the injuries he's suffered 2 years in a row, and we all know Kesler looks better suited to be a winger. Staal would also have a cap him of less than 6 mil. Assuming he'd resign with us of course. The guy has a Stanley cup ring playing shut down role in Pittsburgh and is only 23. Can you imagine Kassian, J.Staal, Jensen in the future, damn! But for now

Sedin(6.1m) - Sedin(6.1m) - Kassian(870k) = 13.07m

Kesler(5m) - J.Staal(4m) - Burrows(2m) = 11m

Higgins(1.9m) - Lapierre(1m) - Hansen(1.35) = 4.25m

Volpatti(850k) - Malholtra(2.5m) - Bitz(850k) = 4.2m

Forwards = 32.52m

Then whatever we receive from trading one of our goalies can be flipped for Weber's rights, and have him re-sign at a slight discount.

Edler(3.25m) - Weber(7m) = 10.05m

Hamhuis(4.5m) - Bieksa(4.6) = 9.1m

Salo(1.5m) - Tanev (900k) = 2.4m

Defense = 22.05m

Schneider(3.5m)

Brent Johnson(650K)

Goalies = 4.15m

Total = 58.72m

Cap Space = 5.58m with the cap being 64.3m

Enough room to adjust J.Staal and Weber's salary accordingly. Or if Tanev is part of a trade, add a #6 defenceman plus carry a depth defenceman and forward, all under last year's salary cap. And with the cap going up, we should be able to afford Burrows and Edler's raises for after the 2012-2013 season.

Edit: J.Staal has 1 more year at 4m.

Archived