The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pittsburgh - Struggling Player Swap

Basically a player coming off of an off-year, for a 23 year old power forward project

Pittsburgh

Mason Raymond

Vancouver

Eric Tangradi

4th Round Pick

Eric Tangradi - hasn't exactly panned out like Pittsburgh hoped and is essentially a project player at this point. Waiver eligible this season, so he would be brought in as an upgrade to Dale Weise.

A big build at 6'3, 220 and is fairly physical/will drop the gloves when needed.

At age 23 has only played 40 NHL games, and only put up 5 points in that time.

He's been near a PPG in the AHL, but has yet to stick or establish himself in the NHL.

A little blurb from hockeysfuture

Like I said at 23 hes a bit of a project player.

Has all the tools to be a succesful top-6 powerforwar but hasn't made the transition to NHL'er yet.

I figure bring him in as a 4th liner and maybe give him some PP time and spot duty in the top 6 if he earns it.

If all else fails he stillhas the tools of a physical bottom6'er.

With Geno and Sid as their top 2 centers, Raymond will really benefit. The other wingers, e.g. Kunitz, Neal, Cooke, Dupuis, Kennedy, etc. provide size and energy and Raymond's skill and upside could really be shown with the other guys opening space up for him.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Raymond - Crosby - Dupuis (defenders pick up Sid, Sid passes to Mason-- I could see him easily reach 45-55 points again)

Cooke - B. Sutter/ Bolland - Kennedy (tough as nails, skilled 3rd line :frantic: )

If this trade happened, good news for them but bad for the rest of the league

Cudo's to the OP for actually researching and putting an interesting proposal on the table!

Also, for stating facts and being realistic; ie he is "a project," He's been near a PPG in the AHL, but has yet to stick or establish himself in the NHL."

I do not know much about Tangradi, but I agree that Raymond could certainly be a viable player with Malkin or Crosby. He can possibly score, but also his defensive skill could allow them to be more aggressive. And they don't need Tangradi's size.

Now back to Tangradi, and an honest question;

How is his speed? This would separate him from the Mancari type players and offer true NHL upside. If good, based on your analysis he sounds very much like a target. He also could have slipped below the radar, as they have Neal and have had other PF's before him. So maybe Raymond might be an overpayment, but not so much as in acquiring Kassian.

I think the chance of Pittsburgh winning this trade is significantly higher than Vancouver.

However i think there is more risk and more rewar for Vancouver.

Aka Raymond will likely be a 40+ point 2nd/3rd liner for Pitts.

Tangradi might become a 40+ point 2nd/3rd liner for Van.

He looks like he has the skill set to become a star forward. Might be worth the chance. In, my opinion, it doesn't matter what Raymond doe else where, we know he's not doing it here. Teams won't be lining up to trade for him, so get what we can and accept it.

He looks like he has the skill set to become a star forward. Might be worth the chance. In, my opinion, it doesn't matter what Raymond doe else where, we know he's not doing it here. Teams won't be lining up to trade for him, so get what we can and accept it.

Higgins - LaPierre - Hansen

Tangradi - Gaustad - Kassian

That could turn into a pretty good bottom 6.

Oh yeah, I am hoping Vancouver makes a play for Gaustad

Kesler>>>>>>>> Staal. the only reason Kes had low points this year is A ) came off injury to early so strggled to get back into his old self B ) he had a new line mate that is a good puck hog like Kesler so he got the Puck less and C ) we all sucked early in the season.

Kesler>>>>>>>> Staal. the only reason Kes had low points this year is A ) came off injury to early so strggled to get back into his old self B ) he had a new line mate that is a good puck hog like Kesler so he got the Puck less and C ) we all sucked early in the season.

Now back to Tangradi, and an honest question;

How is his speed? This would separate him from the Mancari type players and offer true NHL upside. If good, based on your analysis he sounds very much like a target. He also could have slipped below the radar, as they have Neal and have had other PF's before him. So maybe Raymond might be an overpayment, but not so much as in acquiring Kassian.

Archived