Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

On Schenn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Just my opinion but..

there is no honkin way MG trades for Luke Schenn in a Loungo deal. Why? Schenn is young, but there is too much uncertainty whether he can be an impact player this year, and we all know that is what the Canucks D group needs in order to be competitive. I don't think there is much of a coincidence as well that TOR fans have lost their optimism in him. Similarly, just look at how most of us (in general) feel about Raymond. Both could still develop into good players, but cap hit is important and right now neither justify the risk given how much their cap hit is. If Raymond stays for this season, imagine having both of these players on the roster if they have lack luster years. YOuch!

Schenn is signed for 3 more years at a cap hit of 3.5 million. Risky for someone who may or may not turn it around. Canucks can not afford any more major $$$ experiments with their D (look no further than Ballard, but here's hoping he has a strong year next season). Plus the Canucks don't even have the room to experiment! They need guys who can make an impact now or else they belong in the AHL (to develop).

Right now I see Edler needing a new partner and banking on Schenn is too risky of a move. The Canucks have some projects yes (like Kassian and Tanev) but Canucks would be better off trading for another top 4 D man or going after someone in free agency to fill this need.

Oh and I am in no way hating on Raymond. Here's hoping he keeps his butt off the ice next year.

HONK HONK!!!

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 15 June 2012 - 01:21 AM.

200.gif200.gif

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

This.
This all needed to be said.
Thank you.

Jagermeister.jpg

#3 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

Edler sucks.

His 0 +/- this past regular season shows how bad he is defensively.

Trade him for the top 6 we need.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#4 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

Edler sucks.

I think the 0 in his +/- shows how bad we need to get him a legit partner, one who can properly cover him when he jumps up into plays or pinches. A true stay at home defenceman preferably right handed.

Posted Image

#5 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Edler sucks.

+/- is a pretty useless stat. Doesn't really have much to do with defensive ability at all.

#6 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

+/- is a pretty useless stat. Doesn't really have much to do with defensive ability at all.

Yea just look at Bieksa's, without Hamhius it wouldn't be near where it is.

#7 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,973 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Edler is great and is still yet to reach his potential.

Schenn is yet to reach his potential too, but from what we've seen, he is brutal defensively and has a long way to develop. No thanks, but Schenn and Edler together would be a car-crash. Eddy needs a big, physical strong shutdown defenceman to calm him down, preferably a veteran guy who's been in the league a long time and will have a Hamhuis/Mitchell-like effect the same way those guys turned Bieksa into a great defenceman.

Garrisson is obviously on our list, but he's not very old and in the playoffs we need a serious veteran guy back there. Garrison however would fit Salo or Tanev great on our 3rd pairing because both of them lack physicality that Garrisson brings.

Meanwhile, a guy like Allen would work perfectly for Edler, or even a guy like Rozivalt or Vandemeer. Here's my projected lineup for next season's playoffs:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Allen
Salo - Garrisson

Vandemeer - Alberts
Tanev - Rome

I'd expect 22-24 minutes from Hamhuis and Bieksa, 18 minutes from Salo and Allen and 20 minutes from Edler and Garrison. Edler has shown he makes mistakes the more time he plays so lets keep him around the 20-22 minute mark, Salo and Allen are our older guys so should play more in special teams situations and key moments.

As for our 7th and 8th guys, both are physical beasts who will fill in perfectly if we have injures (which will happen on our defence in the playoff run). Especially with 2 old guys like Allen and Salo, we need physical replacements just in case.
Posted Image

#8 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Edler sucks.

Yeah, let's get rid of a young 26 year old all star. The Nucks d corp is loaded with talent and Edler is expendable.
Insert sarcasm. I hate Vancouver fans, I want it nooooow, like a 2 year old having a tantrum. It's called developing.

#9 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Well said Silly Goose
http://Posted Image

#10 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Please MG bring back Bryan Allen!
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#11 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

I really can't believe people hate on our All-Star defenceman :picard:
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#12 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

This.
This all needed to be said.
Thank you.

Yep... the Toronto fans complain about Luongo's contract... but at least Luongo has been earning his cap hit and more. There is a risk he gets worse before he retires in 4-6 years... but there is almost 100% chance Schenn doesn't earn his cap hit for this contract. He hasn't up to now and also hasn't shown improvement.

I would trade Ballard and a mid-range prospect like Schroeder for Schenn though. :)

Edited by Provost, 15 June 2012 - 07:59 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Edler sucks.

Ugh... :picard:

Jagermeister.jpg

#14 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

I really can't believe people hate on our All-Star defenceman :picard:

don't take it too personally now :P
As mentioned Garrison would, at the very least, plug up any mistakes that Eddie may make, and those two together would make a pretty balanced pairing (or Edler - Tanev, Gragnani/ Ballard - Garrison). Allen would be nice, with the trend of puck mover - shutdown guy being so prevalent in the league of late.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#15 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Although Schenn brings that physical element the Canucks are probably looking for. I'd rather Franson. Based on: NAS D development > TOR D development

I'd prefer Garrison over both.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#16 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,722 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Edler sucks.

You're a moron. You wouldn't have said that during the regular season :picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#17 Jordan Subban

Jordan Subban

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Edler sucks.

i want to know where you are so i can smack you upside the head..
Posted ImageCredit to _-_ -_

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.