Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Indiana first to allow homeowners to shoot police who enter unlawfully

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

So if the police are chasing some guy and he runs into his friends house, the police follow him in, the bad dudes homeowner friend(s) blows them away as the police enter "illegally". Homeowner is cleared of all charges while his buddy runs away free for another day. Sounds like a brilliant plan, good job Indiana thinking things through.

Edited by darnucks, 15 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#32 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

So if the police are chasing some guy and he runs into his friends house, the police follow him in, the bad dudes homeowner friend(s) blows them away as the police enter "illegally". Homeowner is cleared of all charges while his buddy runs away free for another day. Sounds like a brilliant plan, good job Indiana thinking things through.

Hot Pursuit Law & Legal Definition

Hot pursuit is pursuit by a law enforcement officer (with or without a warrant) for the purpose of preventing the escape or effecting the arrest of any person who is suspected of committing, or having committed, a misdemeanor or felony. Hot pursuit implies pursuit without unreasonable delay, but need not be immediate pursuit. It can also refer to chasing a suspect or escaped felon into a neighboring jurisdiction in an emergency, without time to alert law enforcement people in that area.

http://definitions.u.../h/hot-pursuit/

The beauty of having internet is that we no longer have the luxury of remaining ignorant.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#33 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Busting into someone's home and spraying bullets at him and potentially children. Wow that must of taken a lot of guts.

I hope you're not implying I'm ok with that :lol:

:lol:

I have no reservations when it comes to speaking my mind. I live in Canada, it doesn't take guts because I have rights. If you're a pig, you're welcome to come see me and I'll tell you what I think. PM me for address.

Still with the bravado in the last part :/ Of course you're free to speak you're mind, call 'em pigs all you want, there certainly are some that deserve the title... considering your post and the context of the thread topic, to some it could look like you're labelling them all as pigs.

#34 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hot Pursuit Law & Legal Definition

Hot pursuit is pursuit by a law enforcement officer (with or without a warrant) for the purpose of preventing the escape or effecting the arrest of any person who is suspected of committing, or having committed, a misdemeanor or felony. Hot pursuit implies pursuit without unreasonable delay, but need not be immediate pursuit. It can also refer to chasing a suspect or escaped felon into a neighboring jurisdiction in an emergency, without time to alert law enforcement people in that area.

http://definitions.u.../h/hot-pursuit/

The beauty of having internet is that we no longer have the luxury of remaining ignorant.

You calling me ignorant? My post was full of sarcasm moron. However, I guarantee some lawyer will try and spin it in that direction. And are you telling me that Indiana has not change that law? They seem to make stupid ones up as they go along who's to say they didn't change that one either.

#35 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Sounds like a law we need.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ver-police.html

#36 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Still with the bravado in the last part :/ Of course you're free to speak you're mind, call 'em pigs all you want, there certainly are some that deserve the title... considering your post and the context of the thread topic, to some it could look like you're labelling them all as pigs.

It was a joke. =/

Didn't you see that one thread of mine commending an officer? T'was a good one.

You calling me ignorant? My post was full of sarcasm moron. However, I guarantee some lawyer will try and spin it in that direction. And are you telling me that Indiana has not change that law? They seem to make stupid ones up as they go along who's to say they didn't change that one either.

:sadno:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#37 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,748 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

a warrant is presented before entering.

how is a cop able to obtain a warrant is is he responding to a domestic disturbance call or worse happening within the home right away?This law is very dangerous and the police should strike as a response.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#38 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

It was a joke. =/

*Hugs*

#39 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

It was a joke. =/

:sadno:

I'm too tired to continue this, so I'll let you win this one. ::D

Edited by darnucks, 15 June 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#40 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Here's the problem with the law. A cop enters a home with a legal permit. The homeowner gets pissed because he hates cops (probably because he is a criminal). The homeowner remembers hearing about this law and, being the idiot that he is, thinks it's ok to now shoot the cop.

I believe the key word here is "unlawfully".

#41 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,748 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

The point I think he was trying to make is about an ignorant homeowner misunderstanding the law and thinking its ok to shoot the cop.More importantly in my opinion is the fact that this law will likely prevent cops from responding to emergency situations in a home for fear of being harmed. When responding to an emergency cops don't always have time to get a warrant and in cases such as domestic abuse aren't always invited in.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#42 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

The point I think he was trying to make is about an ignorant homeowner misunderstanding the law and thinking its ok to shoot the cop.More importantly in my opinion is the fact that this law will likely prevent cops from responding to emergency situations in a home for fear of being harmed. When responding to an emergency cops don't always have time to get a warrant and in cases such as domestic abuse aren't always invited in.

Exactly. The law itself in a perfect world would seem reasonable; however, it's just open to SO much misunderstanding.

Furthermore, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to shoot or resist a cop entering into your house illegally. Anything that they do or find would be thrown out in court immediately.

#43 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

I think that the law should be fully and explicitly specified as to certain situations that could occur as mentioned above.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if homeowners did take it the wrong way considering there are way too many idiots alive.

#44 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

lol - wha the heck was Indianna thinking :P

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#45 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

how is a cop able to obtain a warrant is is he responding to a domestic disturbance call or worse happening within the home right away?This law is very dangerous and the police should strike as a response.

If the police believe there is somebody in distress within the home, they are legally allowed to enter it.
This law only applies to cops who are outside of their rights as a police officer.

And do people honestly believe that people are going to just shooting up police officers if they come in there home now?

Jagermeister.jpg

#46 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

If the police believe there is somebody in distress within the home, they are legally allowed to enter it.
This law only applies to cops who are outside of their rights as a police officer.

And do people honestly believe that people are going to just shooting up police officers if they come in there home now?

People in the States man.. people in the States..

#47 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

People in the States man.. people in the States..

Hmm... true...

Jagermeister.jpg

#48 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Here's the problem with the law. A cop enters a home with a legal permit. The homeowner gets pissed because he hates cops (probably because he is a criminal). The homeowner remembers hearing about this law and, being the idiot that he is, thinks it's ok to now shoot the cop.

This is the problem as I see it as well. It will give criminals even more of a "shoot first" idea in their heads.

qrak1x.jpg

#49 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

My point is, you're essentially allowing the homeowner to decide what is "unlawful" and what is not. He may realize he was wrong later, but the cop is still dead.

#50 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

My point is, you're essentially allowing the homeowner to decide what is "unlawful" and what is not. He may realize he was wrong later, but the cop is still dead.

Exactly. And he'll be defending his actions with this point in court.

#51 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

When is shoot first, ask questions later ever acceptable? I think this will lead to unnecessary loss of life. Too much potential for misunderstanding.

I remember a scenario that happened to my parents. Somehow our phone called 911 on its own, police (Abby PD) showed up and my dad was working the in backyard and couldn't hear the door at first. While the police were banging on the door 911 received another call, the officers got nervous, were about to break down the door when my dad came around.

Now my dad is a very stubborn guy and did not want to let them search the house, so they were arguing for a while. Basically he told them he didn't call 911 and to go away. They did their sweep anyways, and it was determined the phone was broken and was auto-dialing 911 then hanging up over and over, unplug the broken phone and the calls stopped, plug it back in and they started again. Everyone had a laugh and that was that.

I would hate to think that in Indiana there could be some dead police, my dad wouldn't have shot them but some NRA idiot (bias alert) might. Sad to think since they were really only there to make sure my mom wasn't being beaten or murdered. They were literally seconds away from breaking into the home, and from my dad's POV basically showed up and demanded to be let inside for no reason, being the only one home, he rejected their claim that he had called 911 immediately, my dad had every right to *assume* their presence/entry was unlawful, even though it was not.

As such, I don't think this is the appropriate answer to police unlawfully entering property. How about one unlawful entry and you are forever banned from law enforcement (a much lighter punishment than death), that way police would never make an unlawful entry in an attempt to catch a criminal. Same incentive to avoid unlawful entry at all costs, same incentive to understand lawful entry clearly, and less body bags.
Posted Image

#52 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

When is shoot first, ask questions later ever acceptable? I think this will lead to unnecessary loss of life. Too much potential for misunderstanding.

I remember a scenario that happened to my parents. Somehow our phone called 911 on its own, police (Abby PD) showed up and my dad was working the in backyard and couldn't hear the door at first. While the police were banging on the door 911 received another call, the officers got nervous, were about to break down the door when my dad came around.

Now my dad is a very stubborn guy and did not want to let them search the house, so they were arguing for a while. Basically he told them he didn't call 911 and to go away. They did their sweep anyways, and it was determined the phone was broken and was auto-dialing 911 then hanging up over and over, unplug the broken phone and the calls stopped, plug it back in and they started again. Everyone had a laugh and that was that.

I would hate to think that in Indiana there could be some dead police, my dad wouldn't have shot them but some NRA idiot (bias alert) might. Sad to think since they were really only there to make sure my mom wasn't being beaten or murdered. They were literally seconds away from breaking into the home, and from my dad's POV basically showed up and demanded to be let inside for no reason, being the only one home, he rejected their claim that he had called 911 immediately, my dad had every right to *assume* their presence/entry was unlawful, even though it was not.

As such, I don't think this is the appropriate answer to police unlawfully entering property. How about one unlawful entry and you are forever banned from law enforcement (a much lighter punishment than death), that way police would never make an unlawful entry in an attempt to catch a criminal. Same incentive to avoid unlawful entry at all costs, same incentive to understand lawful entry clearly, and less body bags.

Had trouble with the phone as well.

Tried to dial nine "to get an outside line" then one for long distance and 911 was called somehow.

They were polite and professional but very persistent when I said "WTF"?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.