The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Indiana first to allow homeowners to shoot police who enter unlawfully

We need to seriously be careful about our politics getting as divisive as **** down there is.

I mean, Indiana just went from extreme court ruling to extreme legislation.

Where is the middleground here?

Police officers both need to be able to lawfully enter a home, sometimes without simply showing a warrant (exigent circumstances, for example), at the same time there needs protection from abuse. One shouldn't simply wait for an officer to break and enter and murder someone to understand officers are humans and can be just as much an illegal threat to someone's safety and property as anyone else, given the desire to commit such a crime obviously exists, even if rare.

Consider that someone who constitutes an exigent circumstance either has committed a crime in clear sight, is being pursued for a serious offence, is a threat of escaping custody or fleeing officers lawfully in pursuit, and so on, an officer logically doesn't and shouldn't need a warrant. No one reasonable is going to suggest that an officer got what was coming to him if he's pursuing such an obvious threat and got shot. On the other hand, if he merely suspects something, maybe cruising by and sees some pot growing in a window sill, then decides to break in and investigate himself without seeking a warrant, he should logically be considered breaking and entering, not performing duties of a peace officer, and according to certain lax laws liable to be shot if considered a threat by people in the house.

Unfortunately there's no pre-emptive way to tell in a logical sense whether or not the entry is legal, a person perceiving an officer as a threat and killing them is risky business, and there's sometimes going to be no way to tell until afterwards whether or not the entry for them was legal.

How the intruder makes a living is irrelevant. If I can't break and enter, why should a police officer. Don't take this as I'm a cop-hater or anything. I'm in the process of becoming one. It's common sense. Why should my being a police officer exclude me from having to obey the law?

How the intruder makes a living is irrelevant. If I can't break and enter, why should a police officer. Don't take this as I'm a cop-hater or anything. I'm in the process of becoming one. It's common sense. Why should my being a police officer exclude me from having to obey the law?

We need to seriously be careful about our politics getting as divisive as **** down there is.

I mean, Indiana just went from extreme court ruling to extreme legislation.

Where is the middleground here?

Police officers both need to be able to lawfully enter a home, sometimes without simply showing a warrant (exigent circumstances, for example), at the same time there needs protection from abuse. One shouldn't simply wait for an officer to break and enter and murder someone to understand officers are humans and can be just as much an illegal threat to someone's safety and property as anyone else, given the desire to commit such a crime obviously exists, even if rare.

Consider that someone who constitutes an exigent circumstance either has committed a crime in clear sight, is being pursued for a serious offence, is a threat of escaping custody or fleeing officers lawfully in pursuit, and so on, an officer logically doesn't and shouldn't need a warrant. No one reasonable is going to suggest that an officer got what was coming to him if he's pursuing such an obvious threat and got shot. On the other hand, if he merely suspects something, maybe cruising by and sees some pot growing in a window sill, then decides to break in and investigate himself without seeking a warrant, he should logically be considered breaking and entering, not performing duties of a peace officer, and according to certain lax laws liable to be shot if considered a threat by people in the house.

Unfortunately there's no pre-emptive way to tell in a logical sense whether or not the entry is legal, a person perceiving an officer as a threat and killing them is risky business, and there's sometimes going to be no way to tell until afterwards whether or not the entry for them was legal.

So if the police are chasing some guy and he runs into his friends house, the police follow him in, the bad dudes homeowner friend(s) blows them away as the police enter "illegally". Homeowner is cleared of all charges while his buddy runs away free for another day. Sounds like a brilliant plan, good job Indiana thinking things through.

So if the police are chasing some guy and he runs into his friends house, the police follow him in, the bad dudes homeowner friend(s) blows them away as the police enter "illegally". Homeowner is cleared of all charges while his buddy runs away free for another day. Sounds like a brilliant plan, good job Indiana thinking things through.

Hot Pursuit Law & Legal Definition

Hot pursuit is pursuit by a law enforcement officer (with or without a warrant) for the purpose of preventing the escape or effecting the arrest of any person who is suspected of committing, or having committed, a misdemeanor or felony. Hot pursuit implies pursuit without unreasonable delay, but need not be immediate pursuit. It can also refer to chasing a suspect or escaped felon into a neighboring jurisdiction in an emergency, without time to alert law enforcement people in that area.

The beauty of having internet is that we no longer have the luxury of remaining ignorant.

Here's the problem with the law. A cop enters a home with a legal permit. The homeowner gets pissed because he hates cops (probably because he is a criminal). The homeowner remembers hearing about this law and, being the idiot that he is, thinks it's ok to now shoot the cop.

Archived