The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Will Have a Breakout Season Next Year?

DownUndaCanuck

I think LaPierre would make a fine second line starter. The guys got skills which he showed with Henrick late last season. If he can continue to showcase himself, I think his destination when Kes returns will be the third line. I think he stays on the second line though until Kes shows he's back up to speed. If he can come through, he will save MG a lot of money that can be used in other areas, and will have earned himself a hefty raise next year. LaPierre for break out.

Yeah, gotta go with Booth if AV's willing to play him with the Sedins.

The problem for anyone else to have a breakout, or rebound, is that Kesler will be on the shelf for a long time. Maybe that opens up the door for a center, but who's that going to be? Schroeder? Lappiere?

I hope Malhotra rebounds, myself. He was horrible this past season.

Tanev's a guy who may do wonders if he works on his shot. Gragnani if he works on his defense.

But likely all these suggestions will be mixed up after free agency anyways.

TOML

Yeah, gotta go with Booth if AV's willing to play him with the Sedins.

The problem for anyone else to have a breakout, or rebound, is that Kesler will be on the shelf for a long time. Maybe that opens up the door for a center, but who's that going to be? Schroeder? Lappiere?

I hope Malhotra rebounds, myself. He was horrible this past season.

Tanev's a guy who may do wonders if he works on his shot. Gragnani if he works on his defense.

But likely all these suggestions will be mixed up after free agency anyways.

TOML

I think Booth will get a breakout season if Kesler comes back fully healthy and there is a playmaker on the second line. I also think that Kassian has potential to get a breakout season, but he has to adjust to our system and feel comfortable.

Hopeful for Edler, Kesler, Malhotra

I don't see Kassian getting much of an opportunity to break out on the fourth line unless injuries bump him to the top 6

I'd have to say Booth. If he played a full season with us he would of been on pace for 40+ I think so with him healthy and playing a full season I think he can be great

Agreed with the possibilities for Hansen, Edler, Lapierre and Ballard (Max can break out if he gets some time in the Top 6 with Kes out, or even on the 3rd; if Jannik joins the Top 6 then he can be a good play maker for a finisher like Kes, though last season he had Cody feeding him which must have padded his stats. Eddie should have at least around similar production as last season; Keith should improve if he gets any Top 4 time). Dark horses: Weise (my expectations for him aren't that high; solid Top 9 would be good for me); Kassian (steady as she goes)

As for comeback players, Booth, Manny then Raymond (dark, dark, DARK horse)

I don't really agree that anyone listed in the OP will have a breakout season, with the possible exception of Gragnani. Everyone else you've listed has had a breakout season already (Raymond two years ago) or isn't expected to be put in a situation that would allow for any great improvement (Weise won't have any major role to play).

Kassian could put it altogether, but I'm not sure it'll be significant enough that he'll start making people forget about Hodgson just yet. Booth will have a better year I think, but I don't know if it'll be heads and tails above his previous totals. Hansen and Edler are coming off very good years for them, so I don't see so much improvement there to consider it a breakout either.

The one you didn't mention was Schneider. If we do keep him and Luongo goes, he'll have a chance to reach pretty significant numbers for games played, wins, etc. His GAA and SV% may not hold up as well as it has, but he has the most opportunity to shine if he does get the starting role.

The one thing to consider is what level of expectation is the bar? If you're thinking with the mindset of some CDC'ers that Raymond is absolutely awful and his career year was a fluke, then you could certainly be pleasantly surprised. If you hold a more rational opinion of our players (they are good, in some cases great, but you neither overvalue them or undercut them) then I don't know that we'll see much in the way of breakout seasons.

Archived