The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Will Have a Breakout Season Next Year?

DownUndaCanuck

Man, the optimist in me has like 10 guys on this list. Namely David Booth, and Kassian. I truly believe both of these guys have the tools to become and remain dominant power forwards in this league. We saw glimpses of Booth's power and speed but due to injuries and adjusting to our system I really don't think he was in a position to showcase what he can do. If he can really buy in to what the team is doing and develop that 'chemistry' with Kesler (once he returns) that we've heard so much about, I think, well hope, he can explode for 30 goals next year. I'd like to see him get some minutes with the Sedins. If Anson Carter can score 33 for 55 points with those guys, I think Boothie will be just fine.

As for Kassian...I'm still so jacked up on this kid. I was so excited to see him coming our way on deadline day. Another year of development and I think he can bring an element to this team we haven't seen since the Bertuzzi days. Size, strength and decent scoring touch and most importantly GRIT. Only time will tell what he can turn himself into, but if he can become quicker on his feet and bag a few goals next year I have complete faith I'll own a Kassian jersey within two years. I hate to use the word 'passion' when describing hockey players because it sounds sissy, but I think we lack passionate players at times. Obviously I'm not trying to question the motives of any of our boys, but I'm a strong believer that passion for winning can allow guys to become more than what they're slated to be. The KIngs have a number of these guys IMO that allowed them to win the cup this year. Kassian fits the bill in this area for me, and I hope he can be part of making this team more passionate.

All that being said, my realistic side says Kesler will bounce back and put up some solid numbers. No one is more upset with Ryan Kesler than Ryan Kesler. He simply won't allow himself to be mediocre this season. Higgins could be another big performer this year if he can stay healthy and carry some momentum over from this past season. He was one of our most consistent players from start to finish. And whoever takes Kesler's spot on that second line could find themselves producing like crazy if they can seize that opportunity. Lapierre or Schroeder would be great to see do well.

We'll see.

In my opinion, there's nobody on the roster left to have a true breakout season. The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond have already established their potential, Hansen did last year, and Booth's 31 goals several years ago for the Panthers was most definitely his breakout season. So, if anyone's going to have a breakout year for the Canucks it will be a rookie. A popular candidate I happen to agree with is Nicklas Jensen. I honestly believe this kid can make the roster this year and possibly put up a 15 goal, 40 point season.

Sauve.

In my opinion, there's nobody on the roster left to have a true breakout season. The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond have already established their potential, Hansen did last year, and Booth's 31 goals several years ago for the Panthers was most definitely his breakout season. So, if anyone's going to have a breakout year for the Canucks it will be a rookie. A popular candidate I happen to agree with is Nicklas Jensen. I honestly believe this kid can make the roster this year and possibly put up a 15 goal, 40 point season.

I think Booth will. Similar to Higgins and Lappy when they were traded during the season they had a really good first full year with us so I'd expect Booth to really solidify a scoring role this coming year and get back to his best.

Tanev and Ballard to me if they stay together will be a great partnership, really liked them playing side by side and the potential we've seen from Tanev has been great. I'd love to see a big year from him!

Talking of rebounds, IF Kesler actually waits a bit longer to come back for a change, then from December (isn't that when he's due back?) assuming he's fully healthy and passes a bit more, I think he'll have a good second half of the season if he doesn't pressure himself too much.

The Twins, I think they'll rack up more points than they did this year. I'd like them to get closer to the 10-11 point stats they had.

Lappy as a second-liner I think will take that opportunity with both hands and relish it. He potentially be really good in that role.

Should be an interesting year and I'm really looking forward to what training camp has to offer with the younger guys.

Archived