The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 7 Teams Interested in Rick Nash possibly more

The market for Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash is heating up ahead of next week's NHL Draft.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, as many as seven teams have had 'significant discussions' with the club in the last 10 days about acquiring Nash.

The report adds that the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Carolina Hurricanes are among the teams that have expressed interest.

Blue Jackets' general manager Scott Howson said that the club had, "significantly more discussions this week," but would not comment directly on the most recent trade talks regarding the team captain.

Nash was available leading into the NHL trade deadline during the season, but the Blue Jackets didn't find the right deal. The 27-year-old has six years remaining on his contract with a $7.8 million cap hit. Nash also has a full no-movement clause, which means that he will have to approve any potential trade.

Source: TSN (samjam99's source)

Rangers and Phillies probably can put the best package of NHL players, picks, and prospects to get Nash. I don't see Toronto, San Jose, and Carolina offer much as they don't have much of a top 6 young forwards to part with.

Flyers could easily offer JVR + Schenn or Couturier. However, if I was the Flyers i'd invest in defensemen, specially with the possible loss of Matt Carle.

Us we'd have to offer Schneider, but Nash and Luongo cap hit is 13M. Don't think it's doable.

Columbus has to start over. The core they have going forward is absolutely horrible. Nash, himself, has to be held accountable for some of this. Their top 12 players, combined, are a -145 and as a team are a -229. This is absolutely rediculous. It's not hard to figure out why they suck so bad. There is no commitment to any kind of defensive scheme. I can't believe Howsen is still running that team. In my opinion, they have to get their current roster to become more defensively responsible. I don't think Nash by himself is going to bring the be all saviors. They will improve their team, but until the team, as a whole, develops a more rounded game, I can see them finishing near the bottom yet again.

I think they have to start at one position and work around it from there. The problem is where to start? They have so many problems, it's hard to make a firm decision. I am a firm believer in starting with the defensive side first. This seems to be the glaring need of this team.

Goalie: Steve Mason- He has shown the ability to be an elite goalie. Unfortunately, I believe his defensive corps has thrown him under the bus and created controversy at a position, that, I think, may be unjustified. So I go with Mason again.

Defense: All but one are in the minuses and the one is a 0. This is unacceptable.Changes must be made. Unfortunately, Columbus management has created a situation in which Columbus has become an undesirable destination. It would be tough for Howsen to convince top ranked defensive free agents to sign there. So this, in my opinion has to be addressed via trade. Philly is speculated to be a possible partner in a deal. Unfortunately, from a defensive perspective, there's not much there due to no trade clauses. Good luck getting them to waive for Columbus. One that I was lookin at is Andrej Meszaros. He's not a big scorer, but does make good passes and is defensively solid. He's experienced enough to help Johnson's development along.

Forwards: Yet again defensive responsibility stands out as a glaring need. This could be an opportunity to vastly improve their center position. If Philly wanted to deal, I would have a definate target on Sean Couturier. He is defensivly responsible. His size is good and his offensive potential, in my opinion, has yet to become fully developed. Also, they have the number two pick with which I would grab Mikhail Grigorenko. Another big, solid center that will become a juggernaut for them. These two moves could free up other players for more wheeling and dealing for defensive help.

I would expect, at least, one draft pick from the suiting team. Again if Philly were the team, I would want their 20th over all pick and possibly their first or second round pick next year based on his production in the upcoming season. Another option could be a swap of picks with Edmonton to secure the number one pick to grab Yakopov. Edmonton may be more interested in defensive futures and may deal the pick. Dropping too far may put them into a position where they don't get their man, so Columbus may be able to make this happen.

Concentrating on Philly being the destination, I feel this would be fair:

To Philly:

Rick Nash

To Columbus:

Sean Couturier

Andrej Meszaros

Philly's 1st rnd pick 2012

Philly's 1st or 2nd rnd pick 2013

In my mind, this would be a major step forward for Columbus in an effort to fix the mess that they've created for themselves.

Archived