The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

One Year Ago Today

Molli

I remember every little thing about this day. I remember how sunny and beautiful it was downtown. I remember getting to the viewing screen at noon to hold a good spot, I remember the atmosphere amongst the fans before the game began, and I remember my personal anticipation with each passing hour before puck drop.

As we all know, things didn't go our way, the cup went to the Bruins, and the town went up in flames soon after.

I post this not to reignite a haunting memory, but rather to conjure up some of the great memories we had during the run. We were treated to watch the best and most exciting Canucks team in franchise history come within one game of the ultimate prize. And even though we fell just short of our goal, there were plenty of moments that myself and all Canucks fans will cherish.

Take a moment to think about great moments, the thrill, the excitement, and all the nervous anticipation we all shared enroute to that pivotal game 7.

We may have varying opinions on the players, coaches, staff, trades, strategy, whatever...but the truth is we all want the same thing. And we had ridden that roller coaster 2011 postseason together. That is what made it so special.

Forever a Canuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmEgkgkti0

Wow, ive rewatched some of the videos today, and it still gets me. My whole life being a canucks fan and only being 4 in 1994 i dont remember that run even though i could pretend i did (I have trouble remembering past grade 10) anyway. It was the first run to the4 cup i really got to experience and being a canucks fan my whole life and dealing with friends who always pull out the (NO CUPS NO CUPS) card i thought it was my chance to finally have our team on top. Sadly it didnt work out that way all excuses aside. Never, ever, ever give up.

I could continue to ramble about how itll take another run to get over the loss, but ill cut it short. What a ride it was. Drank a few too many beers and had some quality nights.

Believe.

That U2 intro under those circumstances, where we coulda won the cup, and the whole world was against us, brought a tear to my eye when I was downtown watching it, I was so pumped, the entire day. I got someone to do half of my shift at work, and I got off at 12, raced home, got ready, and called a cab to get to skytrain (we were in a hurry to get into a bar). Man I wish we could do that game over again, or Game 6 in Boston. :(

This hurts so much to see again, to see the fans so exicted, so loud, so pumped up, just to have the worst let down ever. Hell, even Cherry said he thought we were going to win. It is just such a shame that the atmosphere in there was treated to what was in reality a pretty awful hockey game.

On the other hand, it always feels good to relive that run. For a lot of us, it was the best times throughout our tenure as Canucks fans. So many thought it was going to be ours at last, but it wasn't meant to be. It truly was the greatest three months of my life, I graduated on the same night as game 5, that was arguably the happiest day of my life so far.

I'm sure we're all still dealing with that heartbreak, but that is what makes us Canucks fans. That heartbreak will just make it all the more sweeter when it is our time.

One of the most painful and disappointing days I've experienced thus far. I still can't watch highlights from any of the Boston games, even the ones we won.

To wake up thinking that we could be Stanley Cup champions and to then go to bed empty-handed and with a destroyed city and reputation to boot was just horrible.

I don't know that we've learned anything from that day though. If the Canucks were to lose again there may not be riots but only because hopefully VPD would handle the crowds better. Left to their own devices, I'm sure the morons of the city would be back at it if they could be.

When i think back to that game 7, two things stick out in my mind.

1. How could we lose. I was sure we were going to win. That was our year, and after that game 6 I felt that the team had outplayed the Bruins. Still sad to think back at this game and end result.

2. I am forever thankful for the Canucks for putting together such a great season and a nice long playoff run. There was a time when I honestly thought I would never see the Canucks in the finals (too young for the 94 run :( ). They played terrific all season and they gave us some great moments. Burrows OT goal, Bieksa OT goal, Kesler vs. Predators, Torres OT goal, Luongo made some huge saves every game - just a few that stick out imo.

So Thank you Canucks, and bring together another long run and more exciting games for the 12/13 season :D

Archived