The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning trade for G Lindback of Preds

You know what i just read in your post?

"Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer. Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer! Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer? Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,!!!"

With Luongo here we had the luxury of giving Schneider all the time in the world to develop with no rushing, and he's become what he has because of that. It's not about comparing the two of them now. He's 2 years older than Lindbak, and Lindbak has looked just as good as Schneider at that stage, if not better. Homers here will never ever admit that though. Our prospects are always the second coming of Christ, until they get traded, then they sucked...

Do you know what I just read in your post?

"Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy, Steve Yzerman Fanboy,"

Wait a second, Eddie Lack was better in the AHL at a younger age than Schneider. You know what, because of that I proclaim Eddie Lack will be better than both of Schneider and Lindback.

When they lose Suter, expect the overall defence to be considerably weaker, and as a result, expect Rinne to be under significantly more pressure on a nightly basis. Nsh was already in the lower third of the league in shots/against per game last season (meannig they gave up a lot of shots per game), without Suter this will surely increase. It would be very short-sighted for Poile not to look at his backup more 'intently' as you put it.

They have an asset in Rinne that they need to protect long-term. Playng the life out of him isn't recommended IMO - despite what every NHL starting goalie says, they need rest also and Poile should be looking for a good b/u to spell Rinne so he has something left in the post-season.

2. Rinne's starts have increased each year - 52, 58, 64, 73 - and he played another 10 games in the playoffs and was exceptional there as well. I do not see them being worried about overplaying Rinne. they wouldn't have signed him to 7 million per year if they were going to protect his number of games played. I expect him to again play around 70 games.

I don't see them investing more than a low amount on the backup, if they spend 1 million on the backup, i'll be surprised.

While I agree that Rinne was stellar this year in the reg. season and post season, he's already had to have one surgery and he's 30 years old, IMO the signs of wear/tear are there and if Poile is thinking he can milk Rinne for 70+ starts in the coming years he's taking a major risk. I'm not saying spend big money on a b/u goalie, just that they'd better think hard about lowering Rinne's starts.

And I agree with PlanB, no matter who you say will take Suter's spot on D, they will be worse off on defence and no one can argue with that. They do give up a lot of shots per game and that will take a toll when your goalie is expected to play 70+ games/season - something's got to give in that situation.

Just like the Canucks were going to lose so much offense when Erhoff left? But instead our Defense put up 35 more points without him... If ANY team in the league has the potential to replace high end defensemen through their prospect system, it is Nashville.

Canucks had a veteran (Salo) return to their line-up relatively healthy and Edler entering his prime get 50 points this season (increasing his point total of the previous year by almost 20pts). If you see similar holes on NSH being filled by their AHL guys when Suter leaves, your welcome to think that way but I don't see it happening. In fact, I'm not entirely sold on either Blum or Ellis stepping in and making any type of significant impact on their roster next season(they might be good in the future, but not next year) let alone making up for the HUGE void created by the loss of Suter.

If you don't think the Preds will be immediately (next season) worse off on the back-end by losing Suter, you can keep thinking that way - but I doubt anyone agrees with you.

You're implying that if/when Suter leaves, the nashville defense will suddenly look like Tampa Bay's...

You seriously underestimate Nashville's defensive prospects and their coaching system. They don't mind allowing shots that aren't a big threat, they'll let you take poor shots while concentrating on cutting down high percentage chances.

As for the point that 70+ games is too much for any NHL goalie, I believe that is true given the increasing demands (game-to-game and season long) of the game and the overall travel demands of the league in this day and age. Most teams, not all, that take this route (ride one goalie for the whole season) do it because there is no option 'B', not because option 'A' is too good to sit on the bench from time-to-time, there is a difference.

I'll just make this as simple as possible - they aren't paying Rinne 7 million or a 55 game season. They will also want to win, and no matter who they bring in as backup, that backup will not cost much and won't give them the chance to win that Rinne does. If they don't play Rinne 65-75 games I'll be shocked.

Archived