Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

No, and no.

That is all.

Well he will be if he doesn't get another goaltender. Unless he is planning for something bigger in the future this isn't going to cut it (maybe he's targeting next years pool).

I really have my doubts out on Lindback. Decent goalie but not a starter. (1b).

* I think I was too hard on Stevie

Posted Image

#32 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Good, one less goalie on the market. From the sounds of it, Yzerman had no intention of trading for Luongo or Schneider anyways.

All this does is drive up the value for Luongo or Schneider for teams that are still desperate for a goaltender.

The pucker factor will start to set in fairly soon for teams that really need an upgrade. Good time to put out news that Schneider has re-signed to an extension to get the idea of offer sheets off the table.

Things like this tend to get the ball rolling, lots of teams are in on the same players... so once those start becoming unavailable, the rest of the plans crystallize faster as there are fewer options to explore.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#33 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

this is good...now we can cross tb off the list for possible suitors

toronto just got a little more likely
Posted Image

#34 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

We knew Yzerman didn't want Luongo for weeks, he said so himself. People here just chose to ignore it.

I guarntee you he inquired - he's not going to openly say I WANT LUONGO...

#35 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Looks the only A's you got in school were in special ed. Look to Gustavsson for hope.

Try that again when you can form a proper sentence...

Lindback has done nothing to point to him being a career backup. This is a case of you thinking your opinion (and more specifically, your uninformed opinion) is a reality. Lindback's development in NA has been far better than Gustavsson's. The only comparison there is that they are both Swedish. Lindback's GAA was virtually the same as Rinne's was, and while his sv% wasn't as good, it was still solid. He's barely gotten his feet wet at the NHL level but his first taste of the NHL was far better than Schneider's was - he's 2 years younger than Schneider, and Schneider didn't look nearly as NHL ready a few years ago.

#36 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

The pucker factor will start to set in fairly soon for teams that really need an upgrade. Good time to put out news that Schneider has re-signed to an extension to get the idea of offer sheets off the table.

Things like this tend to get the ball rolling, lots of teams are in on the same players... so once those start becoming unavailable, the rest of the plans crystallize faster as there are fewer options to explore.

Where is samjam? We don't even need the Schneider re-signing to be true for him to put that tidbit out there.
Posted Image
Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#37 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Short term, the looming lockout means that a high-games starting goaltender may not even be required to win a cup.

TOML
Posted Image

#38 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Lindback has done nothing to point to him being a career backup. This is a case of you thinking your opinion (and more specifically, your uninformed opinion) is a reality. Lindback's development in NA has been far better than Gustavsson's. The only comparison there is that they are both Swedish. Lindback's GAA was virtually the same as Rinne's was, and while his sv% wasn't as good, it was still solid. He's barely gotten his feet wet at the NHL level but his first taste of the NHL was far better than Schneider's was - he's 2 years younger than Schneider, and Schneider didn't look nearly as NHL ready a few years ago.

Wow, 5 wins in 16 games played last year. He sure looks like he's coming along just fine. Schneider when he was 24 could still fetch more in a deal then Lindback just did. Do you know why? I do.

#39 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

It's KYLE Wilson, not Colin.

The preds got some good value, Lindback is a career backup.

So Tampa isn't totally out of the Luongo sweepstakes....Lindback could be used to back up Luongo with Garon or Caron coming back our way to backup Schneider
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#40 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

His numbers don't mean much when you factor in that he had Suter and Weber in front of him, and Trotz's defence first system.

I agree that he hasn't shown to be a career backup, but he is also far from being a number 1 at this point. Tampa doesn't have a Suter and a Weber, so it should be an interesting season for them if they decide to go with Lindback as their number 1.

Schneider has shown at the pro level that he can win his team games almost single handedly. Lindback hasn't shown that same ability so far.

I still think this was a trade for a backup, not a number 1. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman is working on a deal with Hasek right now. He clearly has no problem signing old goaltenders, and there is the Detroit connection.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#41 AlexanderEdler23

AlexanderEdler23

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Good on GM Stevie. He's looking like the real deal in Tampa. Looks like the tandem for them next year will be Lindback & Garon. It's sure better than Reimer & Gustavsson lolol.
c.a.n.u.c.k.s.1

#42 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

There's still Bernier and Harding.. Luongo's market is getting smaller, MG needs to pull the trigger on a deal soon.

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Good on GM Stevie. He's looking like the real deal in Tampa. Looks like the tandem for them next year will be Lindback & Garon. It's sure better than Reimer & Gustavsson lolol.

If they had a rock solid D-core, they could probably get by with that tandem. Problem is their D-core is probably the weakest in the league right now.

They need to either go crazy in free agency and overpay for a couple top defencemen, or trade for a top goalie. IMO a top goalie would have helped them more in the long run.

Posted Image

#44 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,031 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Schneider and Luongo are still the best goalies available by far.

If teams wanna cheap out and gamble on unproven players, that's their choice. You gotta believe that at least one team will pay big for a more proven goaltender.

Eddie Lack is probably as good as Lindback, and Lindback had Suter and Weber and a trap system in front of him, yet still had below average numbers.

I think he will be a good goalie, just whether or not he'll be able to ever truly handle a heavy starting role is in question. Add to that Tampa's likely looking to win some games sooner rather than later (how long will their vets stick around?) and I was a little surprised they didn't go after a more sure-fire starter.

Tampa recently signed a former pick of theirs too, Riku Helenius, who had been qualified by Tampa after playing in their system previously but chose to play in Europe instead (on loan to Sweden for 2 years and then in Finland last year after the qualifying offer). He's not going to add any experience to their goalie depth, but they might be happy enough using Garon/Lindback for this year and seeing if they can use a Lindback/Helenius tandem next year without having to improve further.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

SY: Hey Mike. I got a good back up goalie for you and Wilson like you wanted. The deal for Luongo still good?

MG: I wanted Colin not Kyle.

SY: Oh for @#%@#

:lol:

#46 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Wow, 5 wins in 16 games played last year. He sure looks like he's coming along just fine. Schneider when he was 24 could still fetch more in a deal then Lindback just did. Do you know why? I do.

Schneider had 2 wins in his first 10 NHL games and a FAR worse goals against average. You're comparing Lindbak's play to Schneider NOW, not Schneider of several years ago when he clearly was not developed as he is now.

His numbers don't mean much when you factor in that he had Suter and Weber in front of him, and Trotz's defence first system.

I agree that he hasn't shown to be a career backup, but he is also far from being a number 1 at this point. Tampa doesn't have a Suter and a Weber, so it should be an interesting season for them if they decide to go with Lindback as their number 1.

Schneider has shown at the pro level that he can win his team games almost single handedly. Lindback hasn't shown that same ability so far.

I still think this was a trade for a backup, not a number 1. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman is working on a deal with Hasek right now. He clearly has no problem signing old goaltenders, and there is the Detroit connection.

Again, Schneider NOW has shown that he can win games for his team, he hadn't shown that a few years back.

Personally I think Yzerman thinks Lindbak can be a #1 but won't be pushed into that role this year. I expect Lindbak to get a split of games, probably close to a 50/50 with another tender there as they let him develop into a #1, not rush him into it. Hasek could very well be the other goalie as it would be a perfect situation, to keep both goalies number of games reasonable.

#47 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

AND WILSON.

Potentially even a bigger part of this than Lindback.

With Thompson locking up 3rd line, and Stamkos on 1st, it looks like Lecavalier could actually be on the way out...

Or Wilson is about to be flipped again.

Still Lindback is a legit goalie for a 1a/1b combo.

It's not Colin Wilson. Kyle Wison.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#48 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Schneider had 2 wins in his first 10 NHL games and a FAR worse goals against average. You're comparing Lindbak's play to Schneider NOW, not Schneider of several years ago when he clearly was not developed as he is now.

Again, Schneider NOW has shown that he can win games for his team, he hadn't shown that a few years back.

Personally I think Yzerman thinks Lindbak can be a #1 but won't be pushed into that role this year. I expect Lindbak to get a split of games, probably close to a 50/50 with another tender there as they let him develop into a #1, not rush him into it. Hasek could very well be the other goalie as it would be a perfect situation, to keep both goalies number of games reasonable.

I meant Schneider's ability at the pro level which includes his time with the Moose. Even if it was a lower level, you could see his ability to take over games even when his team was playing like absolute crap in front of him.

I just haven't seen the same thing with Lindback at either the AHL or NHL level. I just think there's a good chance he could be exposed with a much weaker D-core in Tampa.

Posted Image

#49 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I meant Schneider's ability at the pro level which includes his time with the Moose. Even if it was a lower level, you could see his ability to take over games even when his team was playing like absolute crap in front of him.

I just haven't seen the same thing with Lindback at either the AHL or NHL level. I just think there's a good chance he could be exposed with a much weaker D-core in Tampa.

You have to also look at the fact that the year before he had a great winning record of 11-5-2 and though his wins took a hit this year, he lowered his GAA. In his 38 NHL games he's got around a 2.50GAA, sv% of .913, and is 16-13-2. Schneider's first 35 games produced a better winning percentage, but he played on a better team...

I think Lindbak has very good potential, and we'll certainly see if he's capable in TB with a weaker defense.

#50 Lidstrom

Lidstrom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

I really like like this for Tampa. Good job Stevie Y.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

It's not Colin Wilson. Kyle Wison.

OH. Ha. yeah that changes things a lot.

You're thinking of colin wilson, kyle wilson is a plug

I just read the OP's synopsis and saw Wilson and was really excited. Yeah Kyle's a plug, I couldn't get over how bad Nashville got fleeced but this makes much more sense

It's KYLE Wilson, not Colin.

The preds got some good value, Lindback is a career backup.

Yes, yes, its not Colin, got it thanks. Also, Lindback has starting goalie skill but has potential endurance problems, hence the 1a/1b type format that would work really well for him. He can probably play 35 games at a really high caliber.

Edited by gushybear, 15 June 2012 - 05:38 PM.

July 7-2013

View Posttheminister, on 07 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

View Postapollo, on 08 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#52 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

You have to also look at the fact that the year before he had a great winning record of 11-5-2 and though his wins took a hit this year, he lowered his GAA. In his 38 NHL games he's got around a 2.50GAA, sv% of .913, and is 16-13-2. Schneider's first 35 games produced a better winning percentage, but he played on a better team...

I think Lindbak has very good potential, and we'll certainly see if he's capable in TB with a weaker defense.

That's a really dumb argument to use. I watched all of Schneiders starts and in his rookie season he was thrown to the wolves on 2nd of back to back's. He wasn't given any easy starts, in most games he stole the win for us.

Against Edmonton at the end of the season 2010-2011 with the P.Trophy locked up. We just threw Schneider in the net, basically playing by himself.
Posted Image

#53 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Wow, looks like Yzerman is going for the Cup now.

Good acquisitions.

Really? Lindback has less than 40 career NHL games to his credit at the age of 24. I think its a bit of an overpayment considering how unproven Lindback is.

"Going for the Cup now", I don't think so, at least not with this move. Lindback is someone who could develop into a good starting goalie in the next year or two.

Big jump between playing 15 games per year as a back up behind Weber and Suter to being the starting goalie on a Cup winning team.

#54 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Wow, TBH Tampa Bay will regret this down the road.

Lindback is so overrated, plays in a pure defensive system in Nashville with 2 of the top 5 defensive D-men in the league logging big minutes infront of him.

I for one am absolutely estatic a career backup was able to draw two second-round draft picks (37th and 50th overall) + a 3rd rounder. Bodes well for us, shows that the goalie market is quite strong for sellers.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 15 June 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

I remember that game he had against VAN. He looked tougher to beat than Rinne.

Garon had a 23-14 win-loss record last season. Holy crap Roloson's 42? Last active player born in the 60s. Did not know that.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#56 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

That's a really dumb argument to use. I watched all of Schneiders starts and in his rookie season he was thrown to the wolves on 2nd of back to back's. He wasn't given any easy starts, in most games he stole the win for us.

Against Edmonton at the end of the season 2010-2011 with the P.Trophy locked up. We just threw Schneider in the net, basically playing by himself.

You know what i just read in your post?

"Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer. Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer! Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer? Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer,!!!"

With Luongo here we had the luxury of giving Schneider all the time in the world to develop with no rushing, and he's become what he has because of that. It's not about comparing the two of them now. He's 2 years older than Lindbak, and Lindbak has looked just as good as Schneider at that stage, if not better. Homers here will never ever admit that though. Our prospects are always the second coming of Christ, until they get traded, then they sucked...

#57 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

That really hurts Lu's value...it is now between FLA and TOR.

Let's get Franson!!!!...

Or WEISS!!!!!!!!!!
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#58 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm a bit surprised by this deal. It seems that Tampa is no longer rebuilding as they gave up a lot of picks for a goaltender that hasn't been proven yet. That leaves me to wonder if they are open to trading one of their firsts.

#59 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I could see Yzerman going after Harding aswell.

Make a 1 - 2 punch of Harding / Lindback.
Posted Image

#60 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

That really hurts Lu's value...it is now between FLA and TOR.

Let's get Franson!!!!...

Or WEISS!!!!!!!!!!

This in no way hurts Lu's value.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.