The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on TEAM1040 at 2:45 PM PST

I honestly want not to be treated like an idiot from this GM of the Canucks.

I honestly expect he will always continue to treat the fan base as idiots.

Re:Tampa's trade does not thin the pool of Luongo suitors.

"supposed" is the key word here. For all we know nothing changes or someone you least expect goes. No cards shown until they have to be.

We have no idea and will not know until they want us to know, because if they tell us before anything happens it could change and weaken their hand.

Kind of a "shoot yourself in the foot" statement. Raymond's agent can take that into arbitration and say "Mike Gillis believes my client will be a 25+ goal scorer again, so reducing his salary doesn't make sense in this marketplace. Player's who score 25+ goals are making MORE than my client's salary was to begin with, if anything his salary should increase..."

Gillis is a loyal guy. I don't think he's willing to move Manny, Raymond, or Luongo just because they underperformed expectations. He knows Raymond and Manny were coming off serious, potentially career ending injuries and is giving them the benefit of the doubt. He also knows regardless of how everyone is calling for Luongo's head, aside from his usual October slump he was a pillar for the team.

I've said it before, but I can easily see Luongo and Schneider playing around 40 games each in tandem. Schneider is our clutch, Luongo is our workhorse. There is nothing wrong with having two number one goaltenders, look at Pittsburgh or Philly when you put your trust in one number one come playoff time. Luongo is worth his 5.3 million hit and I would give Schneider at least 3 million per year for next couple of years until he becomes a UFA and then re-sign Schneider to a long-term deal that matches Luongo's hit.

Luongo is a team player. If his play dictates less games, he will get less games. Luongo is a perfect veteran guy to mentor and backup an up and coming all-star like Schneider. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't keep him. Remember the cap keeps going up but Luongo is signed long-term, his contract is set in stone for the rest of his career. Do you really think that a 5.3 million hit will matter all that much when the cap ceiling hits 80+ million in a couple of years. Answer: NOPE.

Also, I am ecstatic that Volpatti was re-signed. Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise was our best 4th line all year. While I can see Weise being taken our in favour of a guy like Bitz or pinizotto (should they be re-signed), Volpatti brings a ton of energy, physicality, and gritt to our team and 4th line. The guy will fight anybody, rarely loses, and doesn't seem to feel pain. Love this guy.

The majority of Canucks fans are idiots, unfortunately.

They're the type of fans that get personally offended when the GM doesn't provide every detail of his plan. Ironically, they make assumptions and speculate, despite not having any idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Sounds good, the Canucks need Raymond to play well if they want to succeed. Like it or not, the only other 2 purely skilled guys are the Sedins - the rest of our forward group is ALL medium-sized, bulky powerforwards with a bit of speed but their lack of skill showed in the playoffs against LA. Raymond brings that element of speed and his shot can be one of the best on the team if he works on it a bit more, so we need him to do well. Good job MG in identifying this and not just replacing him by another powerforward like Gaustad or Clowe or our forward group would be so one-dimensional and easy to plot against.

I really hope he addresses our problems on defence as our first priority. There is a large pool of great UFA defencemen that he should be targetting.

Archived