The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on TEAM1040 at 2:45 PM PST

Don Taylor-"Mike,have you talked to Roberto Luongo lately and what is the latest on his situation?"

MG-" I haven't talked to him lately,Donny,and I am not telling you about his situation."

Fahrhan-" It would appear TB is out of contention for Luongo.Does that narrow the pool,a little bit,of teams that are interested? "

MG-" No." Long pause ensues due to reply.

Don Taylor-"Mike,have you talked to Roberto Luongo lately and what is the latest on his situation?"

MG-" I haven't talked to him lately,Donny,and I am not telling you about his situation."

Fahrhan-" It would appear TB is out of contention for Luongo.Does that narrow the pool,a little bit,of teams that are interested? "

MG-" No." Long pause ensues due to reply.

Thanks for the summary OP. Always like to hear what MG says.

I like Volpatti's game and am glad they re-signed him.

I also appreciate Gillis' forthrightness where Raymond is concerned - I think Raymond is far too maligned and deserves another opportunity to prove himself - I'm glad Gillis is giving him that. I think he has struck a good balance with arbitration - if he had simply qualified Raymond we would never have heard the end of it from all the Nancies.

Tampa signings make no difference in Luongo situtation - everyone knows that the real interest is from Florida, Toronto, Columbus...

But I really wish Gillis would be less prudent - I think he should simply show everyone all his cards so that the fans can feel like their GM makes them knowing what is going on the number one priority, as opposed to doing what is best for the team and not spreading all their business on the front page of the Province. I mean let's get real - if Vancouver wants a GM that is transparent there would have to be a fundamental change in the media disposition in Vancouver - as it is they are a liability and force Gillis to be measured - to be loose with information and feed all the speculation and bottomfeeding would be plain stupid in this context. Not to mention that when you are weighing various options/negotiating with numerous teams, the dumbest thing he could do would be to tip his hand. The best thing he can do is relate that he is in no hurry whatsoever to move a goaltender - first, that may in fact be the case, and second, it discourages other GMs from wasting time with lowball offers - if you want to break up Vancouver's tandem, it will cost.

"Raymond brings speed yes but then what? He does nothing with it."

Because anyone who can use youtube can see how ridiculous a statement that is. I said nothing about Clowe. He may well be an upgrade on Raymond. If he was and was traded by the Canucks for Raymond I would have no complaints.

The fact that he gets paid more than a $1M more than Raymond should suggest he might be a better player, however he is 35 lbs heavier, 3 yrs older and hasn't as far as I know broken his back recently so we are hardly comparing fairly.

My main argument is that to denigrate a very good player doesn't strengthen an argument to trade him. By all means criticise if you need to but at least be balanced.

Too many people on here (I am not saying you are one of them) make a hobby of churning out absolute garbage about Raymond in some forlorn and conceited belief that anyone at the Canucks or many decent posters on here actually give a damn.

Archived