The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Schultz expected to sign with VAN, TOR, or EDM

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad there, but EDM is still a ways away from winning the cup. There are no really good veterans he can learn from other than maybe Whitney.

There actually would be pressure on him because he would considered a top 2 D-man on their team. He could win more cups with EDM but that would be maybe 7-8 years away and who knows if the Oilers would even be able to sign all of their players, they would command big $$.

He would put up points here because of the quality of players we have even with less minutes, +/- would be worse in EDM.

Well that's odd. After months of no leaked list, 1 week before he can speak to other teams there's now a potential leaked list? I don't know if I buy it. But either way, I think Gillis needs to offer him a spot in the big club (if that's what Schultz wants).

IMO, AV is the best coach in the NHL at utilizing player strengths and limiting their weaknesses, without hurting the team. The best example was 2010-11, the Canucks most successful season. It saw Edler play sheltered mins and led to his most successful offensive and defensive season. In 2011-12 Edler played the toughest mins he's ever played in Van. It led to a defensive disaster season and decline in offense from previous yr. Pretty sure AV knows this and wants to get him protected mins next yr.

My point is, who ever plays next to Edler next yr is likely to get sheltered mins alongside him (unless they bring in a Garrison type d-man). It's also typical for rookie defenseman to play sheltered mins. So it's not like the coaching staff would be at a disadvantage, I think this strategy is part of their game plan with or without Schultz. He's an asset that can he had for 'free' so-to-speak. He only eats $.925K of cap space. He's worth the risk IMO. Go get em' Gillis.

Hope this guy signs with us, hope he will replace the spot left by erhoff but probably will be way better than him in the future. I just missed that shot from the back on the pp and that rush out of our zone by a defenseman right into the offensive zone. Schultz may become that man for us, lastly just hope that av doesn't mess him up.

I actually don't see Edmonton really in the running and not because they are a bad team. I think that, if healthy, Shultz may have a harder time cracking their line-up than ours.

Edmonton does need help on the powerplay and have need of a puck moving d-man but their problems are going to be more about defensive play. I believe they will generate most of their offense up front and down low much like Tampa did the year before last. The Oilers will probably score a lot of goals but their focus will be on keeping them out, systems-wise.

In Vancouver there is an obvious open spot where Schultz can be more supported by the remaining 5 than than he can there and do what he knows how to do best already at an NHL level. In Edmonton he would be expected to shoulder many more 5on5 minutes than he would in Vancouver. The Canucks would probably be able to give him sheltered minutes, in a way the Oilers can't do, but be paired in a situation to be more successful as a rookie. Hopefully his camp see this too.

In Van the set top 6 could be as follows were Tanev pairs with Edler to provide steady, forward moving D with + mobility. Any regular contributor making under $1mil is helping support the rest of the squad immensely. The doubt is only how long it will take him not IF. I do believe the D core needs a more defensive #5 than Ballard but he's not bad consolation regardless.

Bieksa-Hamhius

Edler-Tanev

Ballard-Schultz

Gragnani-Alberts

On the PP Schultz would float up to the 1st pairing.

In this situation he has the opportunity to succeed in his current skill set and use his more experienced teammates for support. In Toronto or Edmonton he would be exposed more often and be expected to play too many minutes for a guy straight out of college whereas AV would be generous to give him 15 minutes per game.

This D core looks solid but could use a more shutdown style player on the 3rd pairing. Paired with Edler, who has shown he produces better on the PP than 5on5, Schultz allows Tanev and Hamhius to play more SH minutes.

PP

1. Edler- Schultz

2. Hamhius-Bieksa

SH

1. Hamhius-Bieksa

2. Ballard-Tanev

You mention all that while ignoring that he likes the city of Edmonton. He doesn't care about that.

..and I'm sure the idea of being a top pairing Dman on a team with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov is very appealing. He could be a big reason for the Oilers eventually breaking their playoff drought. Also, using the fact that the young players aren't signed to long term deals is kind of a weak argument. The Oilers haven't been allowed to sign any of them to extensions. I'd also say it's wishful thinking to suggest they all won't eventually be signed.

It's nice that you dismiss Edmonton but Schultz isn't and he's the only one that matters in this case.

-ugly city,

-brutal weather

-worst travel schedule

-hasn't made the playoffs in 6 year

You can talk about the youth all you want but until they can even make the playoffs they are not a contender. None of their youth is signed to long term contracts.

Archived