The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Schultz expected to sign with VAN, TOR, or EDM

If anything that would mean we would keep Ballard cause we'd have a cheaper option for the top 4.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Schultz

Ballard Tanev

Alberts

That's not that crowded, and we could still sign Salo to play in a limitted capacity.

Each of these teams has a good reason for him to sign with.

Toronto has his buddy Gardiner and a chance at big ice time.

Edmonton has the young core, opportunity for ice time, and close proximity to home.

Vancouver has the home team factor, the chance to win now, and the elite powerplay that gives him a good opportunity to inflate his numbers.

And you think that Edmontons PP will go down? I think you all have your glasses tinted a bit too blue and green... It is at least a three way tie and I don't see why he would choose us decisively over the other teams. Burke will definitely guarantee him a top 6 spot, regardless of his logjam on defense and he would be silly not to. He also has the Gardner connection in Tor. I doubt Gillis will promise him as much in terms of playing time as Burke will.

Yes, there is one good spot for him here, alongside Edler. But what happens if they don't develop chemistry? Are you suggesting that AV will suddenly play nice with the rookie and give him a long leash when he goes through a 7 game pointless streak where he gives the puck away more then he takes it away? No, he will be benched during his first or second run like that, the same droughts that are expected from any rookie, whatever the age. And at the time, many of us will agree with AV, it will make more sense for us to bench him then play him if we want to win that night.

Edmonton will play him basically every single game that he is healthy. I can almost guarantee that and Edmonton's GM WILL guarantee that. Gillis won't do that because it could disrupt the locker room and would be bad for the team in general.

Schultz also knows about the immense media scrutiney and how fickle us fans always are. The collective opinion can change irrationally and quickly, even for a beloved fan favorite (Kesler is going to experience this).

And who said 7-8 years for Edmonton? Are you kidding? Think 8-11th this year (depending on if Hall follows the recent trends of 1st overall picks and they can bolster their defence a bit). Next year, playoffs for sure and sleeper cup pick. Next Looonnggg time (barring horrid management) playoffs and at least one cup. Come on, take off those glasses CDC.

Luongo for Schenn & Colborne

Colborne is that young and big center we need on the 3rd line.

hamhuis bieksa

edler schultz (edler misses erhoff and needs that puckmover to play with)

gragnani Schenn (pucking moving dman with a 'human eraser' big dman in schenn)

Technically, Nucks scored more PP goals than EDM last year. Nucks PP was better than EDMs for 90% of the season. It was only in the last month that EDM pulled >1% ahead of Van. It's semantics. Nucks consistently have a top 10 PP ranking for last few seasons - EDM's only been close to that once (this yr).

Wouldn't be surprised if he went Edmonton. He'll probably get a chance to play along other young talent, and develop along with them. There may be a home factor here, but if he's done his research, he'll probably note that we don't play much of our youth..

As for Toronto, why would he even.

Knowing Mike Gillis's style, money will not be the first thing they talk about. Rather, they will discuss the team's vision, where the team is now, and where he wants the team to go. The second issue will be whether Schultz would be a good fit here, and how would he fit in the organization's goal. Finally, the deal would have to make sense.

To me it seems like Gillis is triming salaries, and knowing his style, there has to be a reason for it. I think there is something big in the works, and we are going to be surprised, just have to wait until the draft.

I highly doubt that Van signs Schultz and keeps Tanev. If it happened I suspect Tanev moves a deal. Such a signing does not change the reality of needing a bigger dman. I had thoughts of dealing Tanev and resigning Salo but that isn't good enough either.

LA clearly showed that Van's down low offensive game can be shutdown. Forcing the play back to the pointmen simply allowed the shots to be blocked. While I agree that the defence is the #1 priority and #2 need is a left winger for Kesler. The 2nd line has to be more of a threat than it was. IMHO that means a bigger winger than a Higgins or Raymond.

sign schultz

trade kesler and tanev for weber's rights and gaustad's negotiation rights

trade edler, raymond and a 3rd for jordan staal(+ ?)

trade luongo for jake gardiner and joe colborne

sign salo, weber, weise, gragnani, rome, ray whitney, paul gaustad, jarrett stoll, and scott clemmensen

trade or waive lapierre

sedin-sedin-burrows

booth-staal-whitney

higgins-stoll-hansen

malhotra-gaustad-kassian

volpatti-colborne-weise

ballard-weber

hamhuis-bieksa

gardiner-schultz

gragnani-salo

rome

schneider

clemmensen

lack

Have you seen any quote from Schultz saying he is interested or likes Edmonton? Or just speculation.

Young rookies like to play behind some vets with experience, who's on Edmonton that's any good? Sutton? Whitney? All cast offs.

I used the young guys contract as an example as there is no guarantee that they will all resign or Edm will have the cap room. Can you name one Oiler great that played his whole career in an Oilers jersey, they ALL leave.

Who's going to play goal, Khabi? Dubnyk? Gimme a break.

If it was about winning for Schultz would you go to the team that just one back to back Presidents or a team that just set a record for winning 3 lotteries and no signs of improving. Oilers fan were singing the playoff tune last year. With Vancouver he could ease into a role with a good club. With Edmonton he is going to have unrealistic expectations.

Archived