Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

[Report] Sheldon Souray rejects offer from the Stars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#31 AoSimon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

That is a slap in the face for a player with such defensive savvy...

In Ottawa they made this goal into a TV commercial for a jewellery store that Spezza is a spokesperson for.

It's not every day that your mistake makes it to a commercial and played over and over again pretty much every TV timeout.

#32 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

For people thinking Souray is being full of himself and rejecting the offer- he will be 36 starting next season. He's looking for an offer to long time offer to retire on. 1 year is not good enough. It's common for 36 year old to want contracts with a couple years on it rather bounce around the league for the next 3-4 years.

#33 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,608 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

You can understand the wish! But see Thomas, Tim > over 35 UFA signee. If he retires or kacks, the full salary counts against the cap. Long term deals with UFA's are cancer much more than attitudes.

Maybe $11 mill for 3 years. $3 mill bonus, $1 mil, $1 mill and $6 mill final term? Nah, could also get injured, and does have a checkered past, not quite ever playing a full season

likely wants a longer term, nothing to do with the price

He's also just almost single handily made the Stars (almost) a play off team. A 240 lb guy with a cannon of a shot, a right handed shot at that and a plus player to boot who has composure... Souray is EXACTLY the player we need!

Just a 1 year deal though please?

Has anybody thought at 35 he wants to play for a cup someday soon?

Agree 100%.

I'm old-school when it comes to hockey and any dirty laundry no matter what should stay in the locker-room behind closed doors. Souray aired his dirty laundry with the Oilers organization and he suffered the consequences - but, to his credit he took his medicine (a year in the minors riding the bus after being a three-time NHL all-star will do that to a player I'm assuming) so he gets some redemption in my books.

That said, of all people out there, Souray should know he's received a second chance here and he could easily be out of the NHL for good - as a result, he and his agent should be very careful about the game they are playing with NHL GM's.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 16 June 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#34 NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Souray faded badly as the season wore on. 1 point in his last 10 games and a -9 in those games. He started the season looking like his old self, but couldn't keep it up. In his first 15 games, 4 goals, 9 assists, and a +11. With his injury history, I wouldn't give him 3 million for what he currently brings to the table.
Posted Image

#35 samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

yeah he should realize that few teams are going to give money and years. I doubt few GMs would be interested in having him for two years.

My guess is he just turned down the best offer he is going to get. If he's still got game which the other above poster pointed out is suspect then he should have the confidence to live with a year by year.

#36 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

I love how people always attribute a player's rejection of a deal to money/term.

You realize these players have to choose where to move their families? Where to live for the next however many years? What arena to play in 41 games out of the year? The coaching staff they have to deal with, the organization, the players?

Maybe Souray didn't like the city, the way the organization treated him or the coaches in place... hmmm?

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#37 Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

I can't see anyone giving him a 2-3 year "over 35" contract.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.