The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

You mean the guy who made the bold move of trading Federov for Beachamin, signing Niedermeyer to a 4 year 27 million dollar contract, trading some spare parts for Pronger, and firing Babcock and hiring Carlyle?

Seems like that worked out pretty good for him.

Gillis has the opporunity to make moves like that with Weber or Suter. Time will tell if he can make those bold moves or not.

I'm not talking about just any signing, trade, or re-signing, I'm talking about the BIG move. The one that says that we're going for it all this year no matter what? Every move he's made so far has been pretty safe.

Think on the same lines as trading for Pronger, Richards, Horton, or signing Hossa. He hasn't made a move on that level yet. The blockbuster type deal.

Yes but LA is a young team, window suggests a team where the best players are aging and starting to move from their prime into the downswing of their careers. Ie Sedins, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis are no longer considered 'young'.. LA's key talent (or at least most of it is still in its mid 20's)...we don't have the type of young guys LA does so yes the window with this group is closing...

Sticking to the Detroit model isn't going to be easy for Gillis in this market.

Vancouver wants the cup NOW, and that could likely mean a bold move or possible

blockbuster trade. It seems as though he doesn't want to trade from the roster

and is hoping to get lucky with a reclamation project using picks or prospects to

get them. Not exactly BOLD moves if you ask me.

Makes you wonder how he's going to stay competitive down the road if he starts trading

away too much of the future.

You mean the guy who made the bold move of trading Federov for Beachamin, signing Niedermeyer to a 4 year 27 million dollar contract, trading some spare parts for Pronger, and firing Babcock and hiring Carlyle?

Seems like that worked out pretty good for him.

Gillis has the opporunity to make moves like that with Weber or Suter. Time will tell if he can make those bold moves or not.

...or, is he even prepared to make bold moves.

If you count Hodgson for Kassian as a bold (opposed to reckless) move, maybe. Then again, maybe it will pan out for us... in the long term... say 3 to 5 years down the road.

To do anything bold, you have to give up somebody of real value to get somebody of real value in return.

But, MG seems to be a little too fiercely loyal to the players, including a flagging Raymond, to do anything too bold. Not that Raymond is a player without talent or promise. I just think he is wasted on this team. Quite obviously, they don't know how to get the best out of him, for whatever reason. He would be better off with the Blackhawks, or LA, or Detroit, who will develop him to his full potential.

But, I digress

My suspicion is, let us not hold our breath. MG is not going to be doing anything bold this year.

I don't think he is as willing to make bold moves as he said he is, he hasn't made any!!!(in the way of trades) Hodgson wanted out and was becoming a problem, there was no way Gillis was going to trade him if there wasn't a major issue brewing, Gillis made the right call and moved him for a player we need but this isn't a bold move. If Gillis traded Kesler or the Sedins now that's getting bold or redoes the D, trading Luongo isn't a bold move as it's expected and looking like he may want out, trading Schneider would be a bold move. Gillis couldn't even fire the coaching staff after a failure job they did this season and it's clear a mop up in the coaching aisle is needed.

The only real bold move Gillis has made was changing the system from defensive to offensive and it was a huge improvement, so I'll give him credit there. In the way of trades he doesn't seem to be the guy to make the hard trade calls like what Philly did last summer, he seems more of a play it safe kinda guy and our drafting still sucks :(

Thats why you have to keep injecting young players into the line up. I remember when everyone though their was a window during the Naslund. Bertuzzi, Jovo, Ohlund era and as soon as those guys got moved out the Sedins took over. Hopefully Gillis learns from this and continues to force AV to play young players and aquire high end prospects.

Luongo, Ballard, Higgins, Schroeder

5th overall, Gardiner

Then

Edler, 5th overall, Jensen, Connaughton

Evander Kane, Bogosian

Sign Garrison and Ott somehow.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kane

Ott Lapierre Kassian

Moen Pahllson Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Bogosian

Gardiner Shultz/Tanev/Salo

/droool

I think the Luongo trade will be the highlight of the decade in terms of team excitement that isn't progression based.

Sticking to the Detroit model isn't going to be easy for Gillis in this market.

Vancouver wants the cup NOW, and that could likely mean a bold move or possible

blockbuster trade. It seems as though he doesn't want to trade from the roster

and is hoping to get lucky with a reclamation project using picks or prospects to

get them. Not exactly BOLD moves if you ask me.

Makes you wonder how he's going to stay competitive down the road if he starts trading

away too much of the future.

It's interesting that Gillis's position as GM was sold to the Aquilini's based on the promise of "bold moves", yet in his time here, he hasn't really made any bold moves. Unless you count the Sundin contract as bold, but that's been debated enough.

My question is, are you okay with the fact that Gillis is likely never going to make any wild moves that make you go "wow"?

You could argue that Detroit's GM has never really made many bold moves, and they're the most sucessful team in the NHL in the last 20 years. But there is more evidence that points to bold moves leading to teams winning cups. Just look at thr last 6 teams that have won:

LA - traded for Richards, Carter, hired Darryl Sutter

Boston - traded Kessel for what ended up being Seguin, traded for Horton and Seidenberg

Chicago - Traded for Campbell, Signed Hossa long term

Pittsburgh - Firing Therrien and replacing him with Bylsma, trading Whitney for Kunitz, and in the previous season acquiring Gill and Hossa which helped them big time in their first run.

Detroit - Signing Brian Rafalski to 6 year, 36 million dollar contract, signing Hossa helped in their 2nd run

Anaheim - Traded for Neidermeyer and Pronger, fired Babcock and hired Carlyle, signed a bunch of great role players.

In your opinion, is Gillis being to patient and not going for it enough now? Or are you happy with the patient approach that will allow us to keep being competitive in the future?

If he was capable of making bold moves,,he would already have traded Luongo.

No matter what the return is on this.

The 3 teams Lu is interested in... Florida made an offer to Clemmensen so if he accepts they still have Theodore Clemmensen and Markstrom..

Tampa just got Lindback.

Burke won t give up too much for Lu..He got burnt with the Kessel trade. It won t happen again.

So unless Gillis is ready to give uop Lu for a few 2nd or 3 rd round picks he will be stuck with Luongo

Then what...

Wow...all this trash talk about a GM who has done more in his 5 years here than any other GM in our 40+ year history.. Yes, lets through him under the bus. This Team deserves a cup, this fan base.. does not. Give your team a little support people!

sundin was a bold move..thank god sundin did not sign though.

booth, ballard - not a bold move as those pieces were not necessary

luongo's 12 year contract was a dumb move

bold..bold would be moving kesler or someone significant.

though moving cody was a bold move

Archived