The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

he signed torres which was unexpected

he signed malhotra who was huge for us

he signed happy lappy

he drafted jensen

he signed eddie lack, a guy from nowhere

he isn't a guy that likes to trade but he is very good at drafting and he is good at persuading guys to sign here

It's interesting that Gillis's position as GM was sold to the Aquilini's based on the promise of "bold moves", yet in his time here, he hasn't really made any bold moves. Unless you count the Sundin contract as bold, but that's been debated enough.

My question is, are you okay with the fact that Gillis is likely never going to make any wild moves that make you go "wow"?

You could argue that Detroit's GM has never really made many bold moves, and they're the most sucessful team in the NHL in the last 20 years. But there is more evidence that points to bold moves leading to teams winning cups. Just look at thr last 6 teams that have won:

LA - traded for Richards, Carter, hired Darryl Sutter

Boston - traded Kessel for what ended up being Seguin, traded for Horton and Seidenberg

Chicago - Traded for Campbell, Signed Hossa long term

Pittsburgh - Firing Therrien and replacing him with Bylsma, trading Whitney for Kunitz, and in the previous season acquiring Gill and Hossa which helped them big time in their first run.

Detroit - Signing Brian Rafalski to 6 year, 36 million dollar contract, signing Hossa helped in their 2nd run

Anaheim - Traded for Neidermeyer and Pronger, fired Babcock and hired Carlyle, signed a bunch of great role players.

In your opinion, is Gillis being to patient and not going for it enough now? Or are you happy with the patient approach that will allow us to keep being competitive in the future?

If he was capable of making bold moves,,he would already have traded Luongo.

No matter what the return is on this.

The 3 teams Lu is interested in... Florida made an offer to Clemmensen so if he accepts they still have Theodore Clemmensen and Markstrom..

Tampa just got Lindback.

Burke won t give up too much for Lu..He got burnt with the Kessel trade. It won t happen again.

So unless Gillis is ready to give uop Lu for a few 2nd or 3 rd round picks he will be stuck with Luongo

Then what...

A bold move would have been to run with Schneider two years ago, after his Calder cup run, instead of paying Luongo $64 mill!

Imagine how much better Schneider would be with 150 NHL starts under his belt at this stage of his career, instead of 50 or 60?

Imagine the stud D man or beastly physical specimen of a forward we could have had patrolling our arena alongside Kess and the Twins with that Cap flexibility???

How does this make any sense to you?

In all honesty, Gillis is not a very good GM.

Look at all the problems the Canucks have at this moment. All of them are because of Gillis' acquisitions.

Booth sucks, what the hell do we do with him?

Luongo has a 12 year contract, nobody wants to take on the burden.

Cody Hodgson traded for a guy that needs 2-3 years in the AHL, and Kesler's injured.

Ballard is not worth his contract, wasting up cap space.

Malhotra is not what he used to be, now we need to find a 3rd line C. (I guess this one isn't Gillis' fault, but yeah)

Nonis will still be the main reason we win the cup. (If we do win the cup, that is..)

A bold move would have been to run with Schneider two years ago, after his Calder cup run, instead of paying Luongo $64 mill!

Imagine how much better Schneider would be with 150 NHL starts under his belt at this stage of his career, instead of 50 or 60?

Imagine the stud D man or beastly physical specimen of a forward we could have had patrolling our arena alongside Kess and the Twins with that Cap flexibility???

Look at all the problems the Canucks have at this moment. All of them are because of Gillis' acquisitions.

Cody Hodgson traded for a guy that needs 2-3 years in the AHL, and Kesler's injured.

Malhotra is not what he used to be, now we need to find a 3rd line C. (I guess this one isn't Gillis' fault, but yeah)

Nonis will still be the main reason we win the cup. (If we do win the cup, that is..)

Good post! the op asks a great question, has MG been to patient, for me i don't think so, as i have said before this team has about 2-3 years of cup contending left then it will be time to start over roster wise. The only big move i see MG having to make will be Luo. He has built a very deep team, and there is no need to rock the boat right now, if MG starts to get some of our prospects some NHL ice time i think we will be sitting pretty for the next 5-6 years, if he doesn't get some of our young prospects some NHL ice time i see us ending up like the flames or the Red Wings in 2-3 years, a bunch of old guys and no promising young talent to take over! MG has some time here to make the right trades and or sign the right players for the positions in question.

As far as MG being able to pull the triger on a blockbuster trade, I most definitley think he is capable of that and he will do it if the offer is right for the team, he seems to me to be alot like Brian Burke in TO but with more patients.

At first Gillis talked about "bold"

then he moved on to "Detroit Model" , until i see a Lidstrom I'll call that a fail.

Now he talks of "Character" like he is the only GM in the league that knows what "Character" is.

He also waxes poetic about "Playing the Right way" like he is going to lead the NHL down the golden path and leave all the other Neanderthal GMs in his wake.

If David Booth is his idea of "Character" then I am starting to believe "Character" is symonous with "Christian"

(I have nothing against being Christian, but that is not the 1st thing I think of when building a hockey team)

When I think of "Character" I think of Bobby Clark, or Wendel Clark or even Joe Clark, ( but not Glen or Christie)

As for "Playing the Right way" wasn't it King Clancy who said, " If you can't beat 'em in the ally, you won't beat 'em on the ice"?

The more I hear Gillis speak the more I think he is a know-it-all who is losing credibility around the league.

his team did nothing with any of its free agent signings from last summer, trading Sturm and Sulzer then allowing the benching of Bitz,

and he as much as admitted to scamming Reiger with Hodgson's "sheltered minutes" and " Making him into something we could trade".

How about Horton, who was acquired by trade just after Lou signed his deal? $4 mill cap hit.

This year, add UFA Sheldon Souray. 240 lb beast defender, with a booming shot and right hook? Cap hit $1.6.

Gradin asked? What cap flexibility? Have you seen what $5.5M gets you these days?

As for Schneider being better, I don't know if being dumped in as the #1 on a contender would have made him better or not. Maybe it has the opposite effect?

I like "Iron Mike" he is a great judge of talent and a grate coach, the reason players don't like him is beacause he questions there charcter, a forces them to play hard every shift, I lke that beacause they(the players) are all Millionaires and they play a game to be such! So they all whine and cry if they have to work hard, I think that it is refreshing to see a coach that wants as much as he can get out of his players and frorces it out of them. Av is like a wet piece of paper, just mush! He doen't force the players to do anything, if this team was to be pushed abit I could see them winning the cup next season, and mabey the season after, They need to be motivated, they have become complacent and lazy!

I like "Iron Mike" he is a great judge of talent and a grate coach, the reason players don't like him is beacause he questions there charcter, a forces them to play hard every shift, I lke that beacause they(the players) are all Millionaires and they play a game to be such! So they all whine and cry if they have to work hard, I think that it is refreshing to see a coach that wants as much as he can get out of his players and frorces it out of them. Av is like a wet piece of paper, just mush! He doen't force the players to do anything, if this team was to be pushed abit I could see them winning the cup next season, and mabey the season after, They need to be motivated, they have become complacent and lazy!

Yes he has!

Erhoff, Hamhuis, Torres and Manny, re-signing the Twins, Burrows..., Brilliant!

Owen Nolan, Duco, Todd Fedoruk, Manny Legace, that big D we needed..., Oh wait, Frack?

Fact, if Gillis was as good in 2011 off season as years prior, we would not have had to trade Hodgson! And I agree with a separate post (and have declared prior) that if I were the Twins, I would have been PO'd to see Kassian coming in not a seasoned vet. And the team played like it was disappointed after the deadline.

Lets just call call this past year a right off for MG after several good years. Without those good years,on your can sir!

(and if you believe we did have to trade Hodgson, we could have traded him when it suited us, instead of panicking to get Kassian. We panicked because Duco, Bitz, Pinizotto, Fedoruk, Nolan, Steve Begin, any draft picks from the last 4 years all did not add the size and presence we lost with Torres and that was not enough already.) We were desperate, and made a desperate move!

MG has made many great signings and ultra-trades. The problem is that Cup blindness does not let many of the Canuck faithful see that. The bandwagon riders and the CODHOD fishers are the ones that cannot see that the man is trying to build a club that has longevity and is successful year in and out. The Cup does not just get handed to a club because they have a great 82 game season. The Cup isn't handed to a club just to have it. The Cup must be earned and in turn the things that have too go just right for it to happen are immeasurable. It does not come down to one trade or one signing. It is an accumulation of all of those things and then maybe just maybe the oppurtunity presents itself then there is still a chance that it does not happen. Instant gradification does not happen in this sport. There are reasons that our sport plays the best of seven. One win does not make a club, I can not argue the fact that a game seven seems like one game but there were six other games before that seventh one.

MG must be allowed to continue moving the puck here and there...Give him the chance and he will make us all proud.

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

Archived