The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Bold Moves" - Is Gillis actually capable of making them?

DeNiro

But if GIllis is sticking to the Detroit model he needs a great prospect pool to consistently make the playoffs and having players ready to come up from Chicago each season. I don't run the team but I rather see Gillis stick to his plan and win us a Cup at some point and allow us to be a playoff team each season. Really the only asset we have right now we can afford to part with are Salary Dumps and one of our goalies. So if he can find a good deal for either Luongo or Schneider and possibly Ballard/Raymond then I'm sure he'll pull the trigger. Either way Gillis has some tough decisions ahead of him, I'm glad I don't run the team.

You know for a guy who claims to be Tort'z rant...you're terrible at it.

It wasn't dumb it was trading him at the peak of his worth. What if AV sheltered him during the year and Buffalo decides to let it play out to see if they can get someone in the FA market? Too many factors that could have caused Hodgson to depreciate in value. We wouldn't have been able to turn it into something we have been needing in this organization in years.

Wouldn't call it dumb and can we stop beating a dead horse but saying it was dumb? Clearly you're still bitter and think Hodgson was a saviour.

Higgins and Lappy are a good start, good gritty, heart and role players..

Keeping veteran Sami Salo around gives every player on the team someone to look up to.. He is literally 5 years older than everyone else, and is the type of defenseman that knows every trick in the book... Reminds me of a less physical Dave Babych..

And Malhotra was an excellent signing, just wish his eye injury never happened.. ruined a good player

That was out of neccesity though. Hodgson and his camp wanted out. If he was happy here, he wouldn't have been traded.

And as far as Kassian being considered a plug, people who say that know nothing about him.

I wouldn't consider a rookie for rookie trade really that bold. I'm talking about landing the big name free agent at all costs, or packaging half of the farm for that legit gamebreaker. That type of thing.

Optimistic fans would argue that he doesn't need to make the bold moves, esp. if he trusts his core as is.

As good as it would be to revamp it somewhat and win it all, it's reasonable to stick with the core that went to the Cup FINAL and is the two-time reigning President's Trophy Champions. Of course, he's not afraid to patch up holes as well, but at minimal cost b/c he doesn't have many top quality assets to work with in the first place that would allow for quick fixes without tearing a hole in the team's future. I don't blame him if he doesn't make an "earthshaking" move that's high risk, high reward when he can retain the asset and move it later on, possibly for greater effectiveness.

It's interesting that Gillis's position as GM was sold to the Aquilini's based on the promise of "bold moves", ........

LA - traded for Richards, Carter, hired Darryl Sutter

Boston - traded Kessel for what ended up being Seguin, traded for Horton and Seidenberg

Chicago - Traded for Campbell, Signed Hossa long term

Pittsburgh - Firing Therrien and replacing him with Bylsma, trading Whitney for Kunitz, and in the previous season acquiring Gill and Hossa which helped them big time in their first run.

Detroit - Signing Brian Rafalski to 6 year, 36 million dollar contract, signing Hossa helped in their 2nd run

Anaheim - Traded for Neidermeyer and Pronger, fired Babcock and hired Carlyle, signed a bunch of great role players.

In your opinion, is Gillis being to patient and not going for it enough now? Or are you happy with the patient approach that will allow us to keep being competitive in the future?

The answer is yes... let us hope that they are good moves and work out as well. MG needs a solid offseason to restore faith, which many fans have lost due to his recent stinkers. He has some ways to go, in order to redeem himself, especially after that disastrous Hodgson trade.

If you ask me, significant moves are needed for this team to really make a run at the cup and challenge the Kings, who are better than the Canucks in almost every position.

MG has made many great signings and ultra-trades. The problem is that Cup blindness does not let many of the Canuck faithful see that. The bandwagon riders and the CODHOD fishers are the ones that cannot see that the man is trying to build a club that has longevity and is successful year in and out. The Cup does not just get handed to a club because they have a great 82 game season. The Cup isn't handed to a club just to have it. The Cup must be earned and in turn the things that have too go just right for it to happen are immeasurable. It does not come down to one trade or one signing. It is an accumulation of all of those things and then maybe just maybe the oppurtunity presents itself then there is still a chance that it does not happen. Instant gradification does not happen in this sport. There are reasons that our sport plays the best of seven. One win does not make a club, I can not argue the fact that a game seven seems like one game but there were six other games before that seventh one.

MG must be allowed to continue moving the puck here and there...Give him the chance and he will make us all proud.

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

The more important question is "Bone Headed Moves?"

The ones that make you say WTF Gillis, you fool.

Ballard trade - just awful, terrible contract, mediocre player, no size, meh skill. Threw away Howden, Grabner is better than Raymond.

Sundin Signing - He dodged a major bullet here, although Sundin wasnt deplorable, he debatebly helped Kesler

develop. But 20m....

Bye bye Sedins, hello Basement of the league.

Re-signing AV - This one can be expanded on endlessly, but in simple terms.....This guy hasnt worked well in

the playoffs, and his favourites game is really a joke, its time for a fresh face, someone with leadership qualities.

Someone who can adjust on the fly, not just sit there and chew gum when things are going south. Yet AV was re-signed. Sigh.

None of this list is from hindsight.

Archived