The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Should Keep Luongo and Trade Schneider - Article

Velleman

It's too risky to keep Lou, the fans will still boo him and he (if he were to stay now) will want out anyway. He has is not playing his best hockey, he may or may not get his game back (another risk). The cap room we will open up will get us a great player even if all we can get for him is a bag of pucks, but I think there is a better value for Lou the a lot think. Trading Lou now and having Lack to trade down the road gives us the best option as we get some help now and have a great asset to trade for help later.

if schneids is #1 next year and Luongo has left town i guarantee you one thing. He will have a stinker , he will let in 3 goals on 8 shots and everyone will be calling for Eddie Lack. The stinker might happen in early october or mid November, but it will happen and God help him when it does. in Martin Brodeur's last game he let in 3 goals in the first period and all he got was praise from the TV media. Imagine if that had been Luongo!! just saying.

If MG is trending towards a younger more physical team then the goaltending should reflect that trend as well. So with that said Cory should not even be a consideration to trade, especialy the way he has played, trading Cory would be a huge mistake, Luo is what 33 or 34 now, he has had a really bad year and shows signs of mental stress (whether it be the crowd or family)! His play ever since his groin injury has been average at best, Cory has been nothing short of amazing.

Trading Luo at this point would not be the end of the world, we could get a decent return for him, either in a mid aged already well established player, or in a good young prospect who has already proven he can play, Luo's trade value is not as high as some may think, so i can only assume that is why all the speculation that Cory may be the one to go, If MG trades Cory it will be almost as bad as when we traded Neely away, Cory is going to be a Super star Goalie for years to come!!!!!!

Just a quick little question: Lets put it this way, Who would you rather face in net, Luo or Cory?

for me thats a no brainer!!

Bryan Allen??? :sick: How many bottom 2 D does this team need? we already have Alberts, Rome, Gragnani, Tanev and Ballard in our bottom D pairing. We dont NEED another 7th defender. If anything, we need a top 4 defender that can move the puck like Garrison. IF we trade Schneider, it either has to be for a top 5 pick or proven top 6 forward and prospects.

How does this guy know what return Luongo will command in a trade?

If Burke isn't willing to give up Gardiner and his pick for Luongo, then I'd tell him to enjoy his long offseason in 2013. In fact, I don't think Gardiner and the 5th overall pick is enough.

Luongo pretty much guarantees a playoff spot to any team he goes to, save maybe the Islanders and the Blue Jackets. What would that be worth in terms of dollars and cents alone, especially in a market like Toronto?

There is no reason for Gillis to trade Luongo right this minute, unless Lou absolutley demands it. Gillis could wait until the trade deadline next year and likely be better for it. In other words, he's in the position to demand whatever he wants.

Fools like this Stuart guy can talk all they want about about age and contract; in Luongo you have a goaltender that has won Olympic gold, a Jennings trophy, two President's trophies and played in the Cup Final, all in the last three seasons. Granted, there is no Cup on his resumee, but how many goalies have done that?

Anyone stating what they will or won't get in return for Luongo is talking out of his butt.

No one knows what Luongo is worth in trade because it depends on how bad the other team needs a goalie.

Luongo is worth Schenn and the 5th pick if the move puts TO in the playoffs. Playoffs = Dollars

There are probably more teams out there that would love to have a veteran goalie with a good history than a young goalie who hasn't been a #1 yet.

Trading Luongo would be a calculated gamble on MG's part because he has faith in Schneider.

The press would be a circus if Luo stayed in Vancouver. Face it....Luongo is done in Vancouver. JMHO

How does this guy know what return Luongo will command in a trade?

If Burke isn't willing to give up Gardiner and his pick for Luongo, then I'd tell him to enjoy his long offseason in 2013. In fact, I don't think Gardiner and the 5th overall pick is enough.

Luongo pretty much guarantees a playoff spot to any team he goes to, save maybe the Islanders and the Blue Jackets. What would that be worth in terms of dollars and cents alone, especially in a market like Toronto?

There is no reason for Gillis to trade Luongo right this minute, unless Lou absolutley demands it. Gillis could wait until the trade deadline next year and likely be better for it. In other words, he's in the position to demand whatever he wants.

Fools like this Stuart guy can talk all they want about about age and contract; in Luongo you have a goaltender that has won Olympic gold, a Jennings trophy, two President's trophies and played in the Cup Final, all in the last three seasons. Granted, there is no Cup on his resumee, but how many goalies have done that?

Anyone stating what they will or won't get in return for Luongo is talking out of his butt.

Holy sh** , all you Luongo lovers please shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! PLEASE!. I get it you love Luongo because he was supposed to be seen as one of the greatest goalies of all time and he is usually a great regular season goal tender. HE IS NOT THE SAME GOALIE THAT HE WAS BEFORE! end of f**** story. Game 3,4,6,7 vs Boston say hi. Consecutive blow outs are you kidding me?

Then all you Luo lovers will bring in the "it was our teams fault, we couldnt score bla bla bla our defense wasnt good"

just shut up you all sound stupid, watch those games in 09/10 vs Chicago where Luongo did the same damn thing embarrasing our team with the easiest goals let in blowing us out of the Mad house in consecutive games. Sure hes good vs teams whos arenas arent loud. Put us up against an original 6 team in an important play off game and ur precious Luongo will crumble like a damn cookie.

I was a big fan of Luongo up untill the cup finals. Even after he embarrased us in the first round vs chicago with all those blowouts I still had faith in the guy, thinking we got past them damn black hawks Luo is invincable now, Oh wait I was dead wrong. Welcome to TD Gardens Luo. Them loud ass americans just give you such a hard time eh?

Schneider is the way to go. I dont care if he hasnt played as many games. He has shown us what he is capable of and how mature and athletic he is. I cannot stand seeing Luo embarras not only himself but the whole Canucks team in those blow out games. Original 6 buildings r tough to play in especially if those teams are vs Vancouver in the playoffs. Boston and Chicago we've seen what happens, imagine playing NY in the finals this year. Luo would choke i can gaurentee you that.

Really bad year? he had a bad month - november. he was playing some of the best hockey of his career this last year. He stole several games when the skaters in front of him had checked out altogether. by the end of the season he was being considered as the team MVP favourite. He has been far from average. If you don't like the guy, thats okay. But do not suggest that he has played bad or even average. His numbers stand for themselves. He played on a bad FLA team and for 2 years a mediocre Van team yet he is 2nd in NHL wins for existing goalies.

if schneids is #1 next year and Luongo has left town i guarantee you one thing. He will have a stinker , he will let in 3 goals on 8 shots and everyone will be calling for Eddie Lack. The stinker might happen in early october or mid November, but it will happen and God help him when it does. in Martin Brodeur's last game he let in 3 goals in the first period and all he got was praise from the TV media. Imagine if that had been Luongo!! just saying.

You have just proved my point. He will have a bad game. All players do from time to time. He might have a bad week or a bad month. To have good support from almost all fans means that he will get booed by the others fans. Luongo was treated really well in Van whilst people remembered what it was like to watch Alex Auld. After a couple of years the memory of Auld fades and Luongo is the scapegoat. If Shneids is #1 next year, just wait for a bad game and listen to the calls for Eddie Lack - just saying.

Archived