The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Should Keep Luongo and Trade Schneider - Article

Velleman

Canucks 101? As in introduction to first year Canucks fans?

Another article by another person who hasn't really looked that closely at Luongo's actual contract and is undervaluing him.

When I first read the article without following the link, it read like it was coming from a pipe-dreaming Toronto lobbyist. Schneider for Schenn and a pick? - not going to happen - a billboard sized Jesus facepalm to that. If the Canucks were going to move Schneider a b-rate underachieving prospect would not be the principle.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to play 60 games (double what he's ever played before) than Luongo to turn out another 30 win season which we all know he's capable of.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to somehow go on a magical cup run in the playoffs when he's got a career playoff record of 1 win and has nothing to draw back upon in terms of experience.

It's riskier to even have Lack as our backup in either situation when he's never played an NHL game before.

Canucks should try and keep both goalies, if not trade Schneider for a solid defenceman who can play upwards of 20 minutes and find a backup in the UFA market.

if schneids is #1 next year and Luongo has left town i guarantee you one thing. He will have a stinker , he will let in 3 goals on 8 shots and everyone will be calling for Eddie Lack. The stinker might happen in early october or mid November, but it will happen and God help him when it does. in Martin Brodeur's last game he let in 3 goals in the first period and all he got was praise from the TV media. Imagine if that had been Luongo!! just saying.

Luongo got a lot of slack for a lot of years befoe he heard a boo instead of a Luo - so will Schneider - unless, of course, all those prejudiced, butt-kissing Luo fans decide they need revenge against someone who has done nothing to them. Of course, most of them are so irrational that that kind of insanity is just possible.

Really bad year? he had a bad month - november. he was playing some of the best hockey of his career this last year. He stole several games when the skaters in front of him had checked out altogether. by the end of the season he was being considered as the team MVP favourite. He has been far from average. If you don't like the guy, thats okay. But do not suggest that he has played bad or even average. His numbers stand for themselves. He played on a bad FLA team and for 2 years a mediocre Van team yet he is 2nd in NHL wins for existing goalies.

I think in the end the Canucks can afford to just sit back and let other teams sweat until they make a reasonable offer for Luongo. What is Toronto going to do if Florida makes an acceptable proposal to pick up Roberto and they missed out? Who is the next option for them? Or, even if less likely, what if someone makes a bid for Schneider that is impossible to turn down, and then he and Luongo are longer on the market? If Gillis doesn't see a deal that appeals to him, decides there is no reason to rush matters and keeps his tandem going into the season, which is a certainly a possibility, Luongo's value is still not going down anytime soon, so there is no point in bluffing and lowballing. To do so is not to take their goaltending needs seriously - so I just don't see teams like the Leafs being in a position to act as though they are negotiating from a position of strength, or even a level playing field, wasting time with lowball offers. The options are to face the reality that to acquire a top ten goaltender will cost accordingly, or go with plan B, which is to watch the playoffs again next year, as oppposed to potentially playing in them.

I'm sure Gillis is accepting offers on both goalies. If we get low balled for luongo then Schneider will likely go. But if we manage to get a significant offer for Lu then we are able to keep schneider. That's how this is going down and I still feel like people could be in for a surprise if schneider is moved. Although it would only be because there wasn't enough on the table for Lu.

I'm sure Gillis is accepting offers on both goalies. If we get low balled for luongo then Schneider will likely go. But if we manage to get a significant offer for Lu then we are able to keep schneider. That's how this is going down and I still feel like people could be in for a surprise if schneider is moved. Although it would only be because there wasn't enough on the table for Lu.

I always like how these articles come across as knowing exactly what GM's are thinking. This guy is purely speculating on Luongo's value. I'm not saying I disagree with the idea of trading Schneider, but I think the "massive contract" thing is overblown.

Luongo's cap hit is great, he has at least 5 more years of great goal tending ahead of him, probably more, and the salary cap continues to go up which in turn makes his cap hit look better each year.

Look at Broduer, played awesome at 40 years old this year, and there's a chance he'll come back for more. Luongo =/= Broduer, but give Luongo credit...he's still a top tier goalie in this league consistently, not a flash in the pan. It's entirely possible he plays to near the end of his contract as a starter, and it's only in the last few years he is shifted to a tandem or back up goalie.

MG himself stated (and I'll paraphrase), that Luongo's commitment to conditioning made him sign him to a long term contract because he believed he would be able to play at an elite level into his later years. He said goalies were different than defenders/forwards and was comfortable doing this.

Claimingt that statement was made to take the heat off the cap circumvention is pure speculation. I'd rather take MG at his word than some random reporter on his speculation.

Cheers,

Ramone

Archived