The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Should Keep Luongo and Trade Schneider - Article

Velleman

I have been saying the Canucks will trade Schneider and keep Luongo all along this so called "goalie controversy".

Obviously I don't have any inside info on this situation but it just makes more sense when you take every thing into account, including but not limited to Luongo's NTC, Schneider's lack of NTC and the potential return for Schneider.

I still think the Canucks will keep Luongo and trade Schneider. CBJ would pay a king's ransom for Schneider.

Guess we will all find out very soon.

There lies the problem...trading Schnieder only frees up a certain amount of Cap space on a team that if right up against it (or still very close with the Cap going up) So the return wouldnt be a player that would have a big Cap hit unless there was a package made. I could see a Schnieder - Ballard for a big return...I would honestly prefer to go with Schnieder, I just feel like this team with Luongo has run its course. The team just plays differently in front of Schnieder, they always have.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to play 60 games (double what he's ever played before) than Luongo to turn out another 30 win season which we all know he's capable of.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to somehow go on a magical cup run in the playoffs when he's got a career playoff record of 1 win and has nothing to draw back upon in terms of experience.

It's riskier to even have Lack as our backup in either situation when he's never played an NHL game before.

Canucks should try and keep both goalies, if not trade Schneider for a solid defenceman who can play upwards of 20 minutes and find a backup in the UFA market.

A top 10 pick doesn't do it for me, Schenn and the 5th overall doesn't really have me, but Johansen from Columbus is a player I'd trade Schneider for. This draft kinda sucks and Canucks needs is a future big top line centre to replace the Sedins or Kesler some day. I feel pretty good that Weber will be a Canuck soon fixing our #1 D need but I don't feel good about our future top line, Johansen makes that look a lot better. With Lack ready and Cannata not far off this does make Schneider tradable, Luongo still has many years left as a top goaltender so we're pretty set in net.

I wouldn't want Nash. He's overpaid and over rated IMO.

Maybe MG could get CBJ to give up the 2nd overall in a package deal. Howson is on record saying he would trade it for the right offer.

The 2nd overall could be exactly what this team needs. A young game breaker type of player.

Canucks should whoever they feel can get them the 2 most needed type of players: a playmaker and top four d-man. It will be either of those that increase our chances of winning the cup now when our windows is still open.

I wonder why we'll get a better return for Schneider. Oh, I remember now, because "Schneider’s youth, pedigree and athletic ability have many general managers absolutely drooling". Am I missing something or do the Canucks not want young and athletic players?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Luongo can still perform and that Schneider would bring in more return, but you also have to ask yourself what happens if the Canucks DONT win a cup with Luongo in net and in five years we have an old team with no athleticism left?

If Gillis is all about making this team younger, getting rid of the young and WANTED goaltender makes little sense to me. Schneider will not sign with the Canucks if he is not the starter this year. This tells me that he either doesn't sign with the Canucks and then we lose our bartering chip, or we trade Luongo and keep Schneider.

At this point trading Cory makes most sense, but if your looking at the future then trading Luongo makes more sense. The only problem here is the fans and media because we want a cup NOW and not later.

That is why trading Schneider would make more sense because we would get a whole lot more in return. Trade Luongo would still get you a solid return but by trading Cory you get a little bit better return.

For Luongo I would expect Top 4 D, Bottom 6 Forward, prospect, 1st Round Pick (23-30).

For Schneider I would expect Top 6 Forward, Bottom 2 D (Bryan Allen type), Prospect, 1st Round Pick (Top 15), 3rd Round Pick.

If we want a cup within the next 3-4 years, then trading Schneider would give us the best chance at that.

I wonder why we'll get a better return for Schneider. Oh, I remember now, because "Schneider’s youth, pedigree and athletic ability have many general managers absolutely drooling". Am I missing something or do the Canucks not want young and athletic players?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Luongo can still perform and that Schneider would bring in more return, but you also have to ask yourself what happens if the Canucks DONT win a cup with Luongo in net and in five years we have an old team with no athleticism left?

If Gillis is all about making this team younger, getting rid of the young and WANTED goaltender makes little sense to me. Schneider will not sign with the Canucks if he is not the starter this year. This tells me that he either doesn't sign with the Canucks and then we lose our bartering chip, or we trade Luongo and keep Schneider.

If Schneider was the main piece that was moved for Rick Freaking Nash, then I'm all in. Eddie Lack will be our future once Lu retires. Rick Nash is EXACTLY what this team needs, especially in the post season.

Schneider, Booth, Raymond, Ballard, 1st, 2nd

For Nash and Johansen

Sedin-Sedin-Nash

Burrows-Kesler-Jensen

Higgins-Johansen-Hansen

Volpatti-Lapierre-Kassian

Cup :P

Maybe Gillis and AV decided to put Schneider in goal during the playoffs when it looked like we were done for and had nothing to lose, hoping Schneids would win a few and boost his trade value. Everyone knows that the playoffs this year cannot be put on Luo's shoulders.

He admitted to playing Hodgson in key situations to boost his trade value.

Probably not but it's something to consider.

Archived