The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Evander Kane will not negotiate contract with Winnipeg

I love the Canucks, but not as much as the Jets. So please listen when I say that all the proposals listed are not enough or they are assets the Jets do not need.

1. Taking Luongo's NTC out of the equation, the Jets have no need for him (the same goes for Schneider). I'll give you a hint why. His name rhymes with "Smavlac."

2. Raymond is useless on any team. Why the Jets want to get weaker is beyond comprehension.

3. First round picks from the Canucks do not mean a lot when dealing w/ a player the caliber of Evander Kane.

4. Ballard is a complete waste. If he cannot succeed on the Canucks, he has no hope with the Jets, a far inferior team.

If Kane wants to be a spoiled brat and play for only one team, then that team will have to pay through the nose to get him. Remember, this is much different than Rick Nash, Dany Heatley, Roberto Luongo, Chris Pronger, etc. Kane is a RFA and has no bargaining power. The Jets hold all the cards. He can be a big boy and sign a new contract and grow up; or, he can sit out and not play at all. Either way, the Jets won't trade him to his favourite destination just because Kane says so.

And by the way, IF the Canucks were to get Kane, they would have to give up Edler and Burrows to make it happen.

I love the Canucks, but not as much as the Jets. So please listen when I say that all the proposals listed are not enough or they are assets the Jets do not need.

1. Taking Luongo's NTC out of the equation, the Jets have no need for him (the same goes for Schneider). I'll give you a hint why. His name rhymes with "Smavlac."

2. Raymond is useless on any team. Why the Jets want to get weaker is beyond comprehension.

3. First round picks from the Canucks do not mean a lot when dealing w/ a player the caliber of Evander Kane.

4. Ballard is a complete waste. If he cannot succeed on the Canucks, he has no hope with the Jets, a far inferior team.

If Kane wants to be a spoiled brat and play for only one team, then that team will have to pay through the nose to get him. Remember, this is much different than Rick Nash, Dany Heatley, Roberto Luongo, Chris Pronger, etc. Kane is a RFA and has no bargaining power. The Jets hold all the cards. He can be a big boy and sign a new contract and grow up; or, he can sit out and not play at all. Either way, the Jets won't trade him to his favourite destination just because Kane says so.

And by the way, IF the Canucks were to get Kane, they would have to give up Edler and Burrows to make it happen.

Pavelec is a beast. Team MVP last year and is only getting better. The last thing we need is a goalie. Pav extended long term for a reason.

As for Kane, I sure hope this isn't true. I agree that the fans were a little hard on him at times and rumours were flying through the first half of last season. However, I don't wanna get into those rumours. The kid is young and maybe made some mistakes but he means well. He worked hard to improve his image and I am confident that he will grow up to be a great hockey player and a great person for the city or Winnipeg.

I sure hope he didn't request a trade. I would be devastated. I already bought a number 9 Kane jersey!

Pavelec is a beast. Team MVP last year and is only getting better. The last thing we need is a goalie. Pav extended long term for a reason.

As for Kane, I sure hope this isn't true. I agree that the fans were a little hard on him at times and rumours were flying through the first half of last season. However, I don't wanna get into those rumours. The kid is young and maybe made some mistakes but he means well. He worked hard to improve his image and I am confident that he will grow up to be a great hockey player and a great person for the city or Winnipeg.

I sure hope he didn't request a trade. I would be devastated. I already bought a number 9 Kane jersey!

I, like others in this thread, am not sold on Kane. His skills are undeniable, but my fear is that his skill set wouldn't fit with what has been built here. He is a run and gun type player while we play a puck possession game. The only way I could see a fit for him would be to build a line around him. In my mind, this would make players like Booth and Kesler expendable and would change the mindset of our strategy. This, however, could change the fortunes of a guy like Raymond. A line of Kane, Schroeder and Raymond could be a nightmare for any team. The speed would be sick and the dynamics of such a line could be legendary if they could gel. The thing that would be awesome is that all three can also play a defensive game.

As for his personality issues; Maybe coming to a more veteran team with a lot of skill would help him to grow up a bit and lose his attitude. This, however, is where the biggest risk could be and where my hesitancy lies. If a deal were done to get him and his issues couldn't be overcome, we will have given up a lot and wound up with a lot of personality issues in the dressing room. As of now we have a solid second line center around whom we can build. I don't see Kane as a good fit with him.

Archived