Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What if Luongo decided to pull a Thomas?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

If he does not get traded he can always say I am taking the year off to decide of my future...and spend time with my family..no explanation needed just like Thomas did.

Then what?

#2 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

POPULAR

CDC would crash

Posted Image

#3 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

POPULAR

Canucks get sucked in pretty hard, don't get any return for his loss, watch Schneider struggle playing 70 games getting fatigued and get on their hands and knees for Luongo to come back.
Posted Image

#4 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

then i would feel even more ok about lou leaving the team in one way or another as it shows once again his commitment to this team: throwing his team under the bus yet again, only in a different way. "I'm not even mad, I'm impressed!"

Of course this is complete hypothetical talk

Edited by Jester13, 16 June 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#5 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

Probably everyone in Vancouver would turn on Luongo and everyone would be disappointed because we weren't able to trade a goaltender.

#6 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Canucks get sucked in pretty hard, don't get any return for his loss, watch Schneider struggle playing 70 games getting fatigued and get on their hands and knees for Luongo to come back.

I think Schneider is in phenomenal shape and could play 70 games easily barring any freak injuries. But I guess it's just another one your "omg we're doomed if we trust in Schneider" threads that I see pretty much daily now.

#7 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

I think Schneider is in phenomenal shape and could play 70 games easily barring any freak injuries. But I guess it's just another one your "omg we're doomed if we trust in Schneider" threads that I see pretty much daily now.

Trusting any goalie to play 70 games is a HUGE risk, especially for a young goalie who has never even been a starter at the NHL level yet.
Posted Image

#8 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

What makes you think he would do that?

#9 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

If he does not get traded he can always say I am taking the year off to decide of my future...and spend time with my family..no explanation needed just like Thomas did.

Then what?

OMG, he won't.

#10 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

I get the point of this thread, but this situation is just so unlikely it's really pointless to discuss. Can you really imagine Luongo and his family sitting down and saying "you know, I'm set to make $6.7 million next year but I think I'll take the year off. I'm sure there won't be any weirdness in the room for the last 9 YEARS of my contract."
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Why would lui do this????
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

It's not so much the physical demands, I'm more concerned with the mental grind of playing on road trips, bouncing back after a bad game, back to back nights etc. none of which Schneider has experienced yet.

#13 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

POPULAR

People claim Lu has a big ego but, honestly, he's stepped back quite graciously to allow Cory to spread his wings. Lu is a team player and the "ego"people talk about is more an intensity and desire to win..he gets caught up in at times but is that such a bad thing? Thomas, on the other hand, puts himself first before the team.

If Lu did that it would honestly send people here over the edge.

It's just a "what if" scenario people....I don't think the OP intended it as "he would", moreso, is questioning what the reaction would be if we were in Boston's shoes.

And mpt - exactly, well said. It's one thing to come in and "relieve" another goaltender as your mindset is geared toward that...however, when all the chips lie with you, it's an added pressure that requires strength mentally as well as physically if things do unravel a bit. I have faith in Cory, as he's demonstrated a very calm, composed demeanor but also appreciate that Lu's had to take the brunt of things as "captain/goaltender" when the team behind him wasn't doing so hot. It's a tough gig here...

Posted Image

#14 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

If Luo were to do that and I were MG (which i am not) I think i would probably suspend him and bring up Lack. Then carry on as if nothing happened! With Cory in between the pipes I would think that Luo not being there wouldn't matter much! :bigblush:

#15 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

People claim Lu has a big ego but, honestly, he's stepped back quite graciously to allow Cory to spread his wings. Lu is a team player and the "ego"people talk about is more an intensity and desire to win..he gets caught up in at times but is that such a bad thing? Thomas, on the other hand, puts himself first before the team.

If Lu did that it would honestly send people here over the edge.

It's just a "what if" scenario people....I don't think the OP intended it as "he would", moreso, is questioning what the reaction would be if we were in Boston's shoes.

I don't think Luongo has an ego at all. He's very professional. Our biggest ego on the team is by far Kesler. Which is why he's the only one to make excuses.

#16 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Dancing in the street?*

*By the Cory supporters.

#17 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Lu is under 35 so doesn't affect the cap like Thomas.

#18 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Lu is under 35 so doesn't affect the cap like Thomas.

Yep... we simply get his cap hit off the books and don't pay him as he would be suspended.

That is a better scenario than the Toronto fans have in their minds where we have to take players with a negative value in return (bad contracts and useless).

It is a little silly to come up with such remote "what if" scenarios though... I could as easily start a thread asking what if the space station dropped on Roger's Arena?
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#19 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Luongo hasn't won a cup yet and isnt even close to being 40 years old
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#20 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

If we trade Lu to Columbus I think he'd pull a Tim Thomas and bail

#21 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

i thought he turned a corner last year in his professionalism - as schneids improved and played more.

would be suprised but maybe not shocked if he did this.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#22 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Then what?

Oops I read the post wrong, by pulling a thomas I though the OP meant find his game lol

Edited by ABurrows14, 16 June 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#23 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Maybe if he spent as much time working on his positioning, lateral movement, rebound control and mental strength as he did twittering on Strombone1 he might actually do that.....

But unlikely....you see LouLover...this isn't like when you went to bed and you wished upon a star....this is reality man...And don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything Lou has accomplished and done for this franchise. He is a very good player, a terrific person (in the community etc), but its time to move him. He needs out, out of the pressure cooker of Vancouver and the constant scrutiny etc. He just isn't the same goalie he was when he came here and he has a stronger team in front of him, that says enough. Its now Schnied's time, so let go of you dreams. If he does find a way, good for him, but it won't be in Vancouver.

Wake up

#24 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

I expected this to be "win a Conn Smythe" thread.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#25 Arman_Canucks21

Arman_Canucks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Who cares.

#26 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't think Luongo has an ego at all. He's very professional. Our biggest ego on the team is by far Kesler. Which is why he's the only one to make excuses.

That's funny, considering he always says "I'm not going to sit here and make excuses"

#27 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

You can be massively egotistical and professional. Luongo is certainly both.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#28 CRUNK

CRUNK

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

What if Luongo suddenly became 1 kilometer tall?

Then what?
......YOURS WITH A DEEP ABIDING RESPECT (A.K,A. I HATE YOU) .......... CRUNK

#29 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

The Canucks would have every right to sue him for breach of contract and the Boston Bruins should do it too.

If he wants to go spend time with his family and get paid for it...thats lame. I am sorry. Retire. You got your entire life to spend time with your family. Your paid big bucks to play a hockey game, and you made a choice to sign a contract to play with a team, that money money that he makes come with great sacrifices, suck it up princess and move on. People are living on the streets , begging for food, people dont have money for shelter, or whatever...and here is this smug guy who doesnt show up at the whitehouse because he "has rights" is full pooey is what I think. Get over yourself Tim Thomas.

Luongo would never do that, thats not the kind of man he is.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#30 canuck cole

canuck cole

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, you're right, let's keep Luongo until he's 95 years old, I'm sure that will make you happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.